Osmo, Some few annoying details
1433 9 2016-4-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Stanmore
New

France

Hello everybody

I'm a new user of the Osmo. Despite of its great ability to shoot very nice pictures, I have noticed several inconveniences:
- the Osmo is very, very noisy; does DJI team think about a firmware update to regulate the fan speed ? (I mean, otherwise than full speed when the Osmo is ready to use, and low speed when the Osmo shoots)
- there is a bit of a gap around the axis of the gimbal (even when locked); did anybody notice the same thing ? or is my Osmo broken ?
- the Osmo becomes burning after some few shooting minutes. I ask myself if it is natural, and how the Osmo will behave, when it will be used by hot weather, as an example.

If you have any idea, comment, experience... I'm willing to hear it.
Thanks.

2016-4-19
Use props
RegDawg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 54091 ft
United States

The newest firmware addresses the fan speed noise.
2016-4-19
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello!
Thanks for joining us in our Forum!
If you're new users of DJI Osmo and haven't upgrade the firmware, the latest firmware will be recommended for a better using experience. Please refer to our official release notes for more detail information: http://www.dji.com/product/osmo/info#downloads
The function of the Fan is mainly to cool the inner component in avoid of any damage caused by high temperatures during operation.
In order to get a better image quality, in the latest firmware and DJI GO App, the fan is designed to be more flexible, you can select to mute the fun while shooting footage which will definitely reduce the noise from the fan or you can just let it on.

The temperature will rise up while using the Osmo, especially when the fan is muted, but please don't worry, the inner temperature sensor will detect the real-time temperate of the Osmo and will trigger the ability to turn on the fan automatically in time in really hot situation if necessary. All the features have passed through our full test, even the Osmo gets hot, but it will be still under our body's tolerance.

As for the gap in mechanical structure, your Osmo is not broken, some of the devices may appear bigger gap in locking mode, but that would be still up to our QC standard. When your power on the Osmo and activate the gimbal, the axes will become very firm and tight.

If you have any problem, please contact us freely. Thanks for your support!
2016-4-19
Use props
Stanmore
New

France

Hello to everyone,

>>The newest firmware addresses the fan speed noise.
Yes. I've already got the last one (1.6.2.10)
My DJI Go app is the 2.7.1 version (2.7.2 for the last version of the software), but this won't solve, obviously, the inconveniences that I talk about.

>>in the latest firmware and DJI GO App, the fan is designed to be more flexible, you can select to mute the fun while shooting footage which will definitely reduce the noise from the fan
Yes, I have noticed it. It's a good thing, but it makes the Osmo become hot faster.

>>or you can just let it on.
Yes.

>>The temperature will rise up while using the Osmo, especially when the fan is muted, but please don't worry, the inner temperature sensor will detect the real-time temperate of the Osmo and will trigger the >>ability to turn on the fan automatically in time in really hot situation if necessary.
OK. Thanks.

>>As for the gap in mechanical structure, your Osmo is not broken, some of the devices may appear bigger gap in locking mode, but that would be still up to our QC standard. When your power on the Osmo >>and activate the gimbal, the axes will become very firm and tight.
That's right, but I had noticed that if your hands become shaking during recording, the shiver is not canceled out by the gimbal, and it is transmitted into the recorded picture. I thought it may happen because of a remaining of a kind of a gap.

Thank you very much for your full reply.
2016-4-20
Use props
leorvasquez
lvl.2

So Stanmore, are you unhappy with your purchase? Only reason I am asking is because I am also thinking about purchasing an Osmo, or something comparable. I have seen the Lanparte, the Feiyu and the Ikan.  I am just trying to decide which one to get. :-) Did you look at any other models for the gimbal camera? Thanks.
2016-4-20
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Stanmore Posted at 2016-4-20 21:01
Hello to everyone,

>>The newest firmware addresses the fan speed noise.

Hi,
Thanks for your reply and confirmation!
About the issue of the "shaking" you brought out in your last answer, I'll suggest you to watch some tutorial videos about how to use the Osmo properly as below to get the best user experience.

Osmo Quick Tips - The Walk: http://www.dji.com/product/osmo/info#video

*In addition: Z-Axis, for more stable and smooth footage on the OSMO with X3: http://forum.dji.com/thread-49173-1-1.html
2016-4-20
Use props
Stanmore
New

France

>So Stanmore, are you unhappy with your purchase?
I can't say it in this way until I put the Osmo to the test further ahead. But the answers of the DJI's team are reassuring.
And the little Osmo allows you to make pictures that cannot be made by traditional and bigger camcorders without stabilizer.

Only reason I am asking is because I am also thinking about purchasing an Osmo, or something comparable. I have seen the Lanparte, the Feiyu and the Ikan
There are not exactly the same products: these ones are made for action cams as GoPro, or smartphones (including recording). With an action cam, you may not be able to monitor while shooting. With a smartphone, the result of the shooting depends on its overall performance. Mine is a WIKO Sunset 2, good enough when used with the DJI GO app, but not enough as a recorder.
The reason why I have chosen the Osmo is this concept of a little camera with stabilizer included, the capacity to use a smartphone as a monitor only, and the great characteristics of the camera: aperture f2,8, 1/2 inch sensor, wide-angle lens (20mm) ...

Did you look at any other models for the gimbal camera?
Yes : the Zenmuse X5... The micro four third is a great invention ! But at this time, the twosome Osmo + Zenmuse X5 would be a bit expensive for me.

About the issue of the "shaking" you brought out in your last answer, I'll suggest you to watch some tutorial videos about how to use the Osmo properly as below to get the best user experience.
Yes, I will have a look. First of all, I have to learn more about walking with the Osmo. Not as easy.

*In addition: Z-Axis, for more stable and smooth footage on the OSMO with X3
Very interesting. Did DJI make a comparative video, with / without the Z-Axis ?

I'm on holidays for one week, I'm leaving home. Time to test out the Osmo, maybe more feedbacks when I will be back.
2016-4-21
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Stanmore Posted at 2016-4-22 05:05
>So Stanmore, are you unhappy with your purchase?
I can't say it in this way until I put the Osmo to ...

Hey,
About the Z-Axis comparative video, please read this thread at 37#: http://forum.dji.com/thread-49173-1-1.html

We'll be here looking forward to more of your feedback.
2016-4-23
Use props
Stanmore
New

France

Hello everyone,
As I said, just some few things about my use of the Osmo, having tested it further ahead in the beautiful landscapes of Corsica.

First of all, with a bit of practise, it is true that the Osmo is able to replace a big camcorder with steadyshot equipment. At least, you can get results comparable to this kind of system, with a small and light camera.
Nevertheless, it's not easy to shoot everything in every kind of situations. The Osmo is NOT a multi-purpose camcorder.
Just a few observations:
- The Osmo has got a very special look, and people won't get used to it before a while. You can't make unobtrusive shooting, as an exemple in a street with many people.
- The Osmo can't be secured without an optional tripod, until you complete your shooting and store it into its suitcase. Consequently, you can't be ready to shoot anything at anytime.
- Replacing battery or sd card during an outside film making is not easy if you're alone. If you want to be productive with your Osmo, you will need somebody to help you.
- The wide-angle lens (20 mm) involves a slight fisheye effect (it depends on what you are shooting). It's quite nice, but you won't like to get this result on every shot.
- I have noticed un bit of flickering effect, especially when shooting outside in a sunny day. This effect seems to be less visible with Full HD 50p than with 4K 25/24p.

Finally, it is not very conceivable to make an entire movie with the Osmo only. But it can be great to use the Osmo for its job, in addition to your standard camcorder or dslr.
Furthermore, the default recording of the Osmo is not too contrasted, in this way you can quite easily calibrate the picture to match it with the one of your standard camcorder, during your post editing work.

I have improved my use of the Osmo while walking, and noticed that the results were depending on the ground state. It's easier to get a smooth motion above a thick carpet or the sand of a beach, than asphalt as an example.
For this kind of shooting, I guess the z-axis could be very useful. However I'm not sure that I'm going to buy many accessories, as the Osmo can't apply itself to every kind of shooting.
Have a good time, and the right use with your Osmo :-)
2016-5-8
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Stanmore Posted at 2016-5-9 01:51
Hello everyone,
As I said, just some few things about my use of the Osmo, having tested it further a ...

Thanks for your feedback!
2016-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules