1422 17 2015-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
trance728
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

I recently painted my Phantom, not sure if this problem is related or just a coincidence. My Phantom is currently triggering Failsafe RTH when it gets up to around 50-60m in altitude. It does not happen when it is more than 60m in distance from me, just the height. I am unable to regain control flipping the switches until it reaches about 35m. My GPS lock is fine getting 14 satellites, green lights before launch, recalibrated compass, full charge on the battery.

What could possibly be causing this Failsafe triggering at a specific height but not that same distance from me at low levels? It's like it thinks it's in a special area no matter where I am. The closest airport is about 30 miles away.
2015-1-15
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Connect your Phantom to PR2 program on your computer.  Check the limits it is set to.
fsscr051.jpg
2015-1-15
Use props
trance728
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Height is set to 1312 ft and Radius is 5249 ft
2015-1-15
Use props
drone
lvl.4

United States

How is the antenna positioned on your flight controller? it should not be straight up. It should be at about a 45 degree angle.
2015-1-15
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are you near an airport?
2015-1-15
Use props
trance728
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Antennae is not straight up and the closest airport is around 30 miles away. I just took it out for another flight and it looks like its distance as well, starting to think its related to the antennae. I took the remote apart to paint it and now I'm wondering if it somehow got crimped or pulled.

If the antennae were to get ripped off, would that create these same conditions? I am trying to see if someone around me will lend me their remote to try with my Phantom.
2015-1-15
Use props
drone
lvl.4

United States

Check both antennas. Make sure you didn't kink, crush of twist damage  the Phantom's antenna or the flight controller antenna. A damaged antenna lead will degrade antenna performance.
2015-1-15
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ok, well my first answer - which I removed after you said it could go distance - was this.
Check the power settings on the TX.....

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php ... rsion_Configuration

Compliance Version Configuration

As power levels vary between regulators, the Phantom Remote Controller’s power output can be adjusted by twisting the potentiometer knob (Figure 28) on the back of the Remote Controller using a flathead screwdriver. For CE compliance, set the Remote Controller to CE with a full counterclockwise turn. For FCC compliance, set the Remote Controller to FCC with a full clockwise turn. Be sure to follow relevant local regulations.
Compliance can be configured using the PHANTOM RC Assistant Software. Select CE compliance version in Assistant Software to set it, or do the same with FCC compliance version.

Vision+ Remote Controller 9th.jpg

Important:
(1)Turn the potentiometer knob gently to avoid damage.
(2)CE compliant devices have an effective communication range of 400 meters in open spaces due to power limitations.
(3)FCC compliant devices have an effective range of 800 meters in open spaces.
(4)Watch your flight distance as the Phantom 2 Vision+ will enter Failsafe mode (auto-landing or go home and land) if it flies beyond the relevant range limits.
(5)Always follow local laws and regulations.
Hints and Tips:
(1)It is recommended to use a Φ2.4mm flathead screwdriver for adjustments.
(2)There is another potentiometer for reserved use.
2015-1-15
Use props
trance728
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

How do I check the power settings? I understand how to change them via the potentiometer, bout how do I know what it is to begin with? If I plug it into the RC Assistant it shows 5.4v but that's all I see in the way of power display.
2015-1-15
Use props
trance728
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I think the power settings you are referring to are for the Vision transmitter, I have the regular Phantom 2 so I don't think that is the same for me.
2015-1-15
Use props
trance728
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I disconnected the antenna in the remote completely and tested flying it today and the same exact results happened, no worse, no better. Although this doesn't tell me for sure that the remote's antenna is the cause, but it seems likely. I haven't been able to find anyone local that is around to let me test it out using their remote so it looks like I will be ordering a new one hoping that it fixes everything.
2015-1-18
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Did you use a metallic paint?
Is it possible it is shielding the signal?
The potentiometer changes it from (pg. 19 in the manual) CE/400m to FCC/800m (on the P2V+ V 3.0 anyway)..so that's not it..and on my controller I get a couple of beeps at power up which tells me which mode it is in..
2015-1-18
Use props
trance728
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-1-19 05:18
Did you use a metallic paint?
Is it possible it is shielding the signal?
The potentiometer changes i ...

No metallic paint and this doesn't seem like its a GPS issue. The Phantom antennas are outside of the housing so even having metallic paint shouldn't affect it.

Since the distance the FS occurs did not change when completely disconnecting the remotes antenna, I can't see how it could be anything else other than maybe the Phantom's antennas but they look in perfect condition.
2015-1-18
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

trance728@gmail Posted at 2015-1-19 05:32
No metallic paint and this doesn't seem like its a GPS issue. The Phantom antennas are outside of  ...

The 2 antennas coming outside the Phantom and down the legs are not for GPS.  Your gps antenna is inside the top under the shielding.
2015-1-18
Use props
trance728
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-19 05:35
The 2 antennas coming outside the Phantom and down the legs are not for GPS.  Your gps antenna is  ...

I know those aren't GPS, this seems more like an antenna issue and not a GPS issue which is why metallic paint shouldn't affect anything, even though I didn't use metallic paint.
2015-1-18
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

drone@jatobserv Posted at 2015-1-16 07:08
How is the antenna positioned on your flight controller? it should not be straight up. It should be  ...

That means it should be vertical to the ground not relative to the transmitter. That is why it can be angled
2015-1-18
Use props
trance728
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I decided to bite the bullet and ordered a new remote. With the new version having a built in LIPO and a better gimbal tilt knob it's a worthwhile upgrade for me anyway.
2015-1-18
Use props
trance728
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Got the new remote last night, tested it this morning and all is well. Took it up to 100 meters and not Failsafe triggering. So glad it wasn't something more than that and now I have better gimbal control.  
2015-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules