Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Cannot get into Travel Mode
13636 73 2015-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Donnie Stugots
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Bruno28 Posted at 2017-3-2 01:46
i cant get mine into travel mode. Have tried different surfaces and nothing. The VPS is working as it shows correct distances, but still get the message to remove gimbal before putting on trade mode.

Can you raise the gear when flying with the "Automatic Landing  Gear " enabled That would help eliminate the sensor as the problem . ( i realize you are getting data, just want to see if that translates  into action on part of the retract gear )  If  you can great , If you cant will it work if you just did it manually ?

Are we talking Inspire 1 or 2  as well ?    If you are on the Inspire 1 please try an IMU update and then follow that IMMEDIATLY with a camera Gimbal  Update, My thinking is if the AC is not recognizing  the gimbal  and still thinks it's attached therfore not enabling the travel mode to engage.

Also what firmware are you on was well ? I know the latest go app does not Play nice with the older FW some pilots choose to leave on there system .
Be sure to read this whole thread as well , there is some good information that you may be able to glean from it .

****Just wondering , You do have the camera ( and gimbal, they are connected  together )  removed from the system ?  the Isolation Mount stays on the aircraft , dont need to remove that .  I once thaought the Isolation mount ( the part the camera and gimbal attach to ) was the gimbal ....... so believe me it happens .

Interesting challenge

donnie

2017-3-2
Use props
Bruno28
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9337 ft

Australia

)

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-28 21:37
Just to be clear, is the gimbal already off? When you pick up the aircraft and toggle the landing gear switch, does it attempt to move.

Ive tried with gimbal off and on. With gimbal on it says to remove, then you can see the gimbal loses power and I remove, after removing then it tries to go into travel mode, but then when it overshoots (landing gear all the way up) and it then goes back to landing gear down and gives me "remove gimbal" (even though its removed from AC).
2017-3-2
Use props
Bruno28
lvl.1

Australia

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-3-2 06:14
Can you raise the gear when flying with the "Automatic Landing  Gear " enabled That would help eliminate the sensor as the problem . ( i realize you are getting data, just want to see if that translates  into action on part of the retract gear )  If  you can great , If you cant will it work if you just did it manually ?

Are we talking Inspire 1 or 2  as well ?    If you are on the Inspire 1 please try an IMU update and then follow that IMMEDIATLY with a camera Gimbal  Update, My thinking is if the AC is not recognizing  the gimbal  and still thinks it's attached therfore not enabling the travel mode to engage.

Donnie,

Ok so answering your questions.
1. I can lower and raise landing gear via the Remote Control switch.
I have automatic landing gear, but it never lowers when I am as close as 30cm from ground. It does raise when i take off, but does not lower when I am close to ground automatically, even though its enabled.

2. We are talking about Inspire 1 Pro with X5 camera.
I will have to try IMU even though I've done a check and its said that its not required.

3. What do you mean by "IMMEDIATELY with a camera gimbal update"? You mean a gimbal calibration? Software update?
The gimbal does fully work when flying so it must be recognising something?

4. Current firmware:
App: 3.1.3
Aircraft 1.9.1.30
Remote 1.7.60

5. Ive read all posts on this thread and others, still nothing that helped. I haven't done IMU update, hopefully that can solve.

6. Yes, when I remove its the camera with gimbal, they are one part. Isolation mount stays on AC, nor removed.
2017-3-2
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Bruno28 Posted at 2017-3-2 15:47
Donnie,

I'm sorry if this was already asked, but did this start to happen right after a firmware update? Have you tried putting it in travel mode while holding the aircraft aloft?
2017-3-2
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

Bruno28 Posted at 2017-3-2 15:47
Donnie,

The immediately part was to just make sure it was completed after the IMU, I guess I put to much emphasis on the Immediatly and yes do the IMU even though not required .

My only thinking is the IMU is not recognizing that the gimbal is actually removed as the warning you are saying is still coming on even though it is removed and we clarified the fact of what you were removing.

You could also try to downgrade the FW and then try to upload it again.  ( worth a try )

You do have the VPS sensor enabled as well as the auto landing gear retract enabled as well on the go app correct?  you seem pretty knowledgable so I assume so .

Very strange that the gear is not going up ( If enabled ) and you get the gimbal warning , Never seen this one before .

Keep me posted I am interested in helping you solve this .

donnie

2017-3-3
Use props
Bruno28
lvl.1

Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-2 22:17
I'm sorry if this was already asked, but did this start to happen right after a firmware update? Have you tried putting it in travel mode while holding the aircraft aloft?

This has happened ever since i got it. No update on firmware. I have tried holding it while it goes into travel mode, living it alone on the ground and different surfaces too. No success
2017-3-3
Use props
Bruno28
lvl.1

Australia

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-3-3 12:34
The immediately part was to just make sure it was completed after the IMU, I guess I put to much emphasis on the Immediatly  and yes do the IMU even though not required .

My only thinking is the IMU is not recognizing that the gimbal is actually removed as the warning you are saying is still coming on even though it is removed and we clarified the fact of what you were removing.

hello Donnie,

I will give the IMU a try, I should leave the camera/gimbal attached to AC while it does the IMU ?

If the IMU does not work, then I'll try the FW downgrade and upgrade.

Yes the VPS is enabled. SO when i take off for a flight it does raise landing gear by itself. But when I'm coming for landing it does not automatically, I have to manually flip the switch to lower lading gear.

2017-3-3
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

Bruno28 Posted at 2017-3-3 15:56
hello Donnie,

I will give the IMU a try, I should leave the camera/gimbal attached to AC while it does the IMU ?

Yes for sure leave the camera attached for the IMU and gimbal calibration .

Let me know

donnie
2017-3-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Bruno28 Posted at 2017-3-3 15:56
hello Donnie,

Let us know how it went.
2017-3-6
Use props
Bruno28
lvl.1

Australia

So update:
Ive done IMU, then came agimbal calibration straight after, then compass calibration.
and the AC still cant go into travel mode. Keeps giving me "remove gimbal"

And even with gimbal off, then it raises landing gear, but overshoots, then goes back to lowering landing gear. Ive tried many surfaces. even with a book on the bottom to see if it helps, but NO success...

Ive made a video here, and I've tried maybe 10 times today. I think the landing gear motor will soon die on me for trying so many times. Its a bit frustrating to be honest
2017-3-7
Use props
goundry
New

United Kingdom

Bruno28 Posted at 2017-3-7 19:25
So update:
Ive done IMU, then came agimbal calibration straight after, then compass calibration.

Did you find a solution to this at all ? That last video looks almost like what's happening with mine. But mine actually stops in travel mode for a second ( without over shooting as the video did) , before standing back up into landing mode
2017-3-10
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

Bruno28 Posted at 2017-3-2 01:46
i cant get mine into travel mode. Have tried different surfaces and nothing. The VPS is working as it shows correct distances, but still get the message to remove gimbal before putting on trade mode.

With the aircraft on the hard level floor setup just like in the above video , powered on and everything, what does the VPS say when its sitting there, Mine will say   0.3 feet then if I slide my hand under the VPS sensor ( between the sensor and the ground ) I get a reading of  0.0 feet.

Could you try this on yours , I just want to make sure the VPS is working like mine .  

send me a e mail and i will send you a reply video .

My e mail  donaldjames1990@gmail.com

donnie

I think you have a bad VPS module, I get the same warning regarding the gimbal and will show you in my vido reply to you.
2017-3-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Bruno28 Posted at 2017-3-7 19:25
So update:

Try Donnie's advice and see if there are any changes. Worse case, you would need to send the unit in for service.
2017-3-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

goundry Posted at 2017-3-10 01:58
Did you find a solution to this at all ? That last video looks almost like what's happening with mine. But mine actually stops in travel mode for a second ( without over shooting as the video did) , before standing back up into landing mode

What kind of surfaces are you trying this on? Have you also tried using the case itself as a surface? The latter has a high probablilty of success.
2017-3-10
Use props
Bruno28
lvl.1

Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-10 13:48
What kind of surfaces are you trying this on? Have you also tried using the case itself as a surface? The latter has a high probablilty of success.

Yes I've tried n shop of the case itself and nothing worked.
2017-3-11
Use props
Bruno28
lvl.1

Australia

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-3-10 10:25
With the aircraft on the hard level floor setup just like in the above video , powered on and everything, what does the VPS say when its sitting there, Mine will say   0.3 feet  then if I slide my hand under the VPS sensor ( between the sensor and the ground ) I get a reading of  0.0 feet.

Could you try this on yours , I just want to make sure the VPS is working like mine .  

SO i tried it out. Mine says 0.1m which is 0.3 feet.
And if i put my hand up close it does go to 0m. If i lift the AC i do get correct readings of heights (0.3, 0.4, 0.5m)

I tried putting a paper sheet and having it lifted 2cm and what i realised is that it did stop sometimes before the full landing gear raised. I got it to stay once in travel mode but it wasn't perfect in the case, it needed 1cm lower so that the arms can all be touching the case resting pillars.

And out of the many tests (like 15 times), it is staying in travel mode sometimes (blue LED), but not at the perfect height. And many times it just overshoots and raises up again.

And right now I got it to lower and stay low (almost travel mode) but its going a little too far but not far enough to be overshooting and being landing gear raised. So the AC is actually resting on the gimbal plate when in the box and the arms are about 1cm from the pillars rests that should be in the box.

What i did right now was to have it in the ground, but have something that is about 3cm of height right under the sensor . Then it finally managed to get in to the perfect travel mode height. But it does take a few trial and errors.

2017-3-11
Use props
Bruno28
lvl.1

Australia

Ive made a few corrections from last post, for some reason i cant edit it. SO read this one not the above.

And if i put my hand up close it does go to 0m. If i lift the AC i do get correct readings of heights (0.3, 0.4, 0.5m)

I tried putting a paper sheet and having the paper lifted 2cm, 4cm, 6cm off the ground and what I realised is that it did stop sometimes before the full landing gear raised. It stopped when the VPS touched the paper. I got it to stay once in travel mode but it wasn't perfect in the case, it needed 1cm lower so that the arms can all be touching the case resting pillars.

And out of the many tests (like 15 times), it is staying in travel mode sometimes (blue LED), but not at the perfect height. And many times it just overshoots and raises up again.

And right now I got it to lower and stay low (almost travel mode) but its going a little too far but not far enough to be overshooting and being landing gear raised. So the AC is actually resting on the gimbal plate when in the box and the arms are about 1cm from the pillars rests that should be in the box. Which i dont want it to be resting in the gimbal plate.

What I did right now was to have the AC on the ground, but have something that is about 3cm of height right under the sensor. Then it finally managed to get in to the perfect travel mode height. But it does take a few trial and errors. Not something you want to be doing in the outside 10 times until you get it to travel mode.

2017-3-11
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

Bruno28 Posted at 2017-3-11 15:21
Ive made a few corrections from last post, for some reason i cant edit it. SO read this one not the above.

It is a bad VPS sensor for sure , have you made sure it is clean ?  You could blow a bit of compressed air on the sensors , It may be just that.
Also can you try it on another surface, I found a wood floor to be perfect.  The VPS needs a hard contrasting surface to work best .  Or put a piece of paper under the sensor that has some contrasting colors in it . ( Not all white , wont work well at all )
***I am betting on a faulty VPS sensor .

Just an Idea, You may have already tried.  

donnie

2017-3-11
Use props
Bruno28
lvl.1

Australia

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-3-11 16:30
It is a bad VPS sensor for sure , have you made sure it is clean ?  You could blow a bit of compressed air on the sensors , It may be just that.
Also can you try it on another surface, I found a wood floor to be perfect.  The VPS needs a hard contrasting surface to work best .  Or put a piece of paper under the sensor that has some contrasting colors in it . ( Not all white , wont work well at all )
***I am betting on a faulty VPS sensor .

It looks pretty clean, the lens is clean and I've used one of those camera air brushes to clean the ultrasound sensor. I don't want to blow too much air on it as I've seen a few that have the metal inside lose (not sure if its from factory or pushing too much air onto it).

That sucks then that its a faulty one even though its reading correct distances....
2017-3-12
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

Bruno28 Posted at 2017-3-12 15:28
It looks pretty clean, the lens is clean and I've used one of those camera air brushes to clean the ultrasound sensor. I don't want to blow too much air on it as I've seen a few that have the metal inside lose (not sure if its from factory or pushing too much air onto it).

That sucks then that its a faulty one even though its reading correct distances....

That is my opinion.....could of course be wrong ...

donnie
2017-3-13
Use props
Bruno28
lvl.1

Australia

i guess I'lll have to live with it. How much is a new VPS sensor and where can I get it?
2017-3-13
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Bruno28 Posted at 2017-3-13 15:39
i guess I'lll have to live with it. How much is a new VPS sensor and where can I get it?

If you still have warranty on the aircraft, it would be best to send it in so that it can get addressed.
2017-3-13
Use props
Bruno28
lvl.1

Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-13 17:07
If you still have warranty on the aircraft, it would be best to send it in so that it can get addressed.

Hello,

I don't have warranty anymore, its older than 12 months. And i don't think its worth spending $150 and over to get it fixed. Ive spend all I had on budget on it already.
2017-3-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Bruno28 Posted at 2017-3-16 01:38
Hello,

I don't have warranty anymore, its older than 12 months. And i don't think its worth spending $150 and over to get it fixed. Ive spend all I had on budget on it already.

Just a suggestion in case there was some warranty left. There are a good amount of dealers that have I1 spare parts available. You should be able to find what you need with minimal issue.
2017-3-16
Use props
Bruno28
lvl.1

Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-16 09:34
Just a suggestion in case there was some warranty left. There are a good amount of dealers that have I1 spare parts available. You should be able to find what you need with minimal issue.

Thanks for that.
This means i could get the part and install myself instead of sending it in? Im an engineer so I know how to do something as simple as that. Just want minimal cost involved.
2017-3-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Bruno28 Posted at 2017-3-16 22:31
Thanks for that.
This means i could get the part and install myself instead of sending it in? Im an engineer so I know how to do something as simple as that. Just want minimal cost involved.

Since there is no warranty left, you wouldn't be missing out on a potentially free repair.
2017-3-16
Use props
Bruno28
lvl.1

Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-16 23:02
Since there is no warranty left, you wouldn't be missing out on a potentially free repair.

how can I find a DJI representative in Australia?
2017-3-18
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

Bruno28 Posted at 2017-3-16 22:31
Thanks for that.

You did not happen to try to rollback the firmware and see if it works did ya ?  You can only go back ONE version of firmware in order .  ( make sure you know what you are doing ) then you may need to rollback the RC transmiter as well, depends on the current version of FW on your system .
****Also , I cant remeber , you have  tried to put it in travel mode with Just the transmitter as well ? (The one where you toggle the gear switch 4 times ? with the go app NOT connected to the RC )   and you also try it via the Go app Under the systems settings page correct ?  

Your situation is strange because normally when the the VPS  fails you get no reading from the VPS or tainted values .  

Also found a page with the sensor for sale , Looks very simple to install .
Once again , cant guarantee that the VPS is the problem for sure , but everything sure points to it .  Just dont want you mad at me if you get it and it dont work .

https://www.urbantoys.com.au/pro ... tioning-module-vps/  

donnie

2017-3-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Bruno28 Posted at 2017-3-18 00:03
how can I find a DJI representative in Australia?

They do not have their own call center yet, AU Support can be contacted via support@dji.com.
2017-3-18
Use props
uofthag2
New

Canada

have you tried lifting it up off the ground and see if it goes?
2017-3-19
Use props
Bruno28
lvl.1

Australia

uofthag2 Posted at 2017-3-19 16:33
have you tried lifting it up off the ground and see if it goes?

Yes, if you read all the posts that we tried to find solutions by diagnosing, I've tried that too.
2017-3-20
Use props
Bruno28
lvl.1

Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-18 17:02
They do not have their own call center yet, AU Support can be contacted via .

Thanks,
I've sent them an email. Lets see where this will go. Hopefully gets my issue fixed.
2017-3-20
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Bruno28 Posted at 2017-3-20 01:59
Thanks,
I've sent them an email. Lets see where this will go. Hopefully gets my issue fixed.

I'm sure you'll be up and running again soon.
2017-3-20
Use props
altonedwards
New

United Kingdom

wcough Posted at 2015-1-15 17:36
I stand corrected... It has to be on shiny surface for bottom sensors .
Went right into travel mode.
Thanks for help, had nothing to do with firmware update

Yes That seemed to work for me, I put it on a shiny surface and straight into travel mode it went !!!
2017-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules