Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Problems with Firmware upgrade on P4
9128 35 2016-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nebelung
lvl.4
Flight distance : 613615 ft

I keep running into problems trying to update the Firmware on my P4 and it's starting to drive me crazy.

I have owned an Inspire since the day it was released and have done a fair number of firmware updates without any issues. This P4 is something else...

Ok, lastest iOS app tells me that RC and aircraft need upgrade. I select downlaod firmware and it updates the RC sucessfully. But it keep telling me that "Aricraft requires upgrade. Download update from DJI GO homepage". I am guessing here that DJI GO Homepage means the DJI website. So I check for downloads for the P4, but there are no firmware downloads available. Only the DJI Assistant 2 (which I download).

I install DJI Assistant 2 on my Mac, run the driver package and successfully connect the P4 to it. Alas it keeps telling me that it can't load the firmware, but gives me the option to Retry. I do that a few too many times, but nothing shows up. So what gives?

Unless I am doing something wrong, this is an unecessarily complicated process. Any pointers? Thanks.

FYI, the app currently shows the following versions:

App 2.7.2
Aircraft 01.00.0288
RC 1.6.0
2016-4-21
Use props
nebelung
lvl.4

Ok, I just saw that you can actually download the aircraft software when you go to the Home screen of the iOS app. Trying that now, but once again that seems to fail. It switches to "Phantom 4 firmware upgrade package paused". Pressing Continue Download, but it keeps going back to Paused. Still at 0%.
[Edit]
Next stage, re-installed iOS app. Now I have "RC Signal lost". And no more reports of a new firmware for the aircraft. Reported versions are:

App 2.7.2
Aircraft: 01.00.0288
RC: Version Unknown

2016-4-21
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Go to |Phantom 4 downloads page and download DJI Assistant 2. Install and run that (it also prompts a driver install) on a computer. Once all installed plug your P4 into usb of computer into the micro usb on the P4, power up the P4 and then run the Assistant Application, select P4 from the device list and wait for a minute or two. Click on the updates button to the left and after short while you should see list of P4 updates (current and past) listed. Chose one and install.

Edit looks like you have cracked it regarding App & aircraft.....Reboot RC ?
2016-4-21
Use props
nebelung
lvl.4

Aardvark Posted at 2016-4-22 06:04
Go to |Phantom 4 downloads page and download DJI Assistant 2. Install and run that (it also prompts  ...

Thanks for you suggestion Aardvark.

I tried the DJI Assistant 2 on 2 Macbook Pros now. I get the P4 to connect, but when it comes to the firmware list I only get the spinning wheel and eventually the option to retry.

I managed to downgrade the RC back to 1.6.0, but none of my devices (iPad and iPhone) want to download the aircraft software (just like the Assistant software).

My internet is fine, I tried turning off the RC and aircraft (in case it interferes with my wifi), tried my 5.8 and 2.4 networks. Nada.

I might try booting into Windows or just have a beer and wait for a better day. This is not smooth...

Thanks again.
2016-4-21
Use props
medavidson
lvl.1
United States

nebelung Posted at 2016-4-21 17:52

I tried the DJI Assistant 2 on 2 Macbook Pros now. I get the  ...

Same problem. Windows 10. Controller is up to date. DJI Assistant 2 sees the P4, but it never loads the list of firmware upgrades. Just spins and spins.
2016-4-21
Use props
Livesteezy
New

United States

medavidson Posted at 2016-4-21 16:17
Same problem. Windows 10. Controller is up to date. DJI Assistant 2 sees the P4, but it never load ...

Same spinning wheel of death and this is after today's additional Rc upgrade.  
2016-4-21
Use props
Livesteezy
New

United States

Livesteezy Posted at 2016-4-21 16:30
Same spinning wheel of death and this is after today's additional Rc upgrade.

I can't believe DJI support teams only go to is to try this on a PC.  I've been told that twice now for 2 separate issues.  My god, the product is sold in Mac Apple stores people, that excuse is getting really old.  
2016-4-21
Use props
medavidson
lvl.1
United States

... I'm getting the error on a PC.  No Apple machine to try this on.
2016-4-21
Use props
nebelung
lvl.4

Glad to hear that it's not only a Mac or iOS issue...thanks for chiming in.

So no point in trying it on Windows...time to open that beer.
2016-4-21
Use props
medavidson
lvl.1
United States

nebelung Posted at 2016-4-21 18:42
Glad to hear that it's not only a Mac or iOS issue...thanks for chiming in.

So no point in trying i ...

I got it to work.  Remember -- I'm only on a PC.  

Unfortunately, I can't tell you exactly what happened. I reseatted the p4 memory card (several times) and then it *seemed* that worked -- since the circle finally stopped spinning and and the firmware upgrades appeared.

After that, selected the upgrade and it took about 10 minutes.

Hope you can get it to work.  Maybe try a different memory card?

Mark
2016-4-21
Use props
wxeye
lvl.1
United States

I have a P4.  Was really nervous about the fireware upgrade but tried it today with no problems.  Downloaded the assistant 2 on my Windows 10 PC along with the drivers.  Powered off RC then powered on P4 and connected the usb.  Took me to the P4 page.  Got the spinning wheel that went for several minutes.  Then downgrade started.  10 minutes later rebooted drone.  Then turned off drone and connected my andriod smartphone and turned on RC and went to the Go App.  Went to the main overview page and saw new firmware was available.  So downloaded and RC updated easily.   Went out to fly and seems okay.  The firmware erased my settings on the RC.  I also noticed that now during warmup my picture on the RC has all kinds of lines.  Once I'm ready to fly the screen seems to clear up.
2016-4-21
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Actually they have made it painless. It is very simple now. No more having to mess around with SD cards.
2016-4-21
Use props
nebelung
lvl.4

rodger Posted at 2016-4-22 08:50
Actually they have made it painless. It is very simple now. No more having to mess around with SD ca ...

Your milage may vary....

Done the SD card update many times on my Inspire. Way smoother than this experience.
2016-4-21
Use props
rodger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

nebelung Posted at 2016-4-21 21:05
Your milage may vary....

Done the SD card update many times on my Inspire. Way smoother than th ...

The only thing that I had to sort out was the "Assistant" Once you sync with that, it is a cake walk. Huge improvement.
2016-4-21
Use props
nebelung
lvl.4

The DJI Assistant software finally worked. Same MBP that I had tried it on about a million times.

If I had to guess, based on my experience and some of the other posts in this thread, I would bet that there was some kind of a backend issue with the firmware downloads today. It would have been great if there was some sort of message indicating that...would have saved me a lot of time and frustration...but then again - DJI.

Looks like all should be good now. Hoping for test flight tomorrow.
2016-4-21
Use props
rodger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

nebelung Posted at 2016-4-21 23:36
The DJI Assistant software finally worked. Same MBP that I had tried it on about a million times.

Glad to hear it. They do have a little tweaking to do and I am sure it will get done. we are spoiled in that when we get a notice to update, we just hit OK and it rolls along with no other input. I will say this. They have made a giant leap in updating with the P4.
2016-4-22
Use props
a.loro
New

Italy

medavidson Posted at 2016-4-22 01:17
Same problem. Windows 10. Controller is up to date. DJI Assistant 2 sees the P4, but it never load ...

I had the same spinning.....spinning....... Get in touch with on- line assistance.  After some basic check they told me to try to change the cable. I replaced the white usb cable from the box with another .....And here we go, the list appeared after 3 seconds. Upgraded ...going to enjoy my first fly.
2016-4-22
Use props
kyle346
lvl.1
United States

I have the exact same issue... I don't know what to do!
2016-4-23
Use props
jackpast
lvl.1

United States

kyle346@gmail.c Posted at 2016-4-24 04:03
I have the exact same issue... I don't know what to do!

Hello all.  Just got new P4 yesterday.  I'm totally new with drones, quads, whatever they're called.  I have all Apple products...iPhone 6s plus, MacBook Pro and iPad Pro.  I followed the tutorial videos and when I did firmware upgrade on quad, cabling from iPhone to quad (or PC?), the screen showed the firmware needed to be updated.  I followed the instructions and all went smoothly.  When I went to run my first test flight, after the required amount of satellites were found, the phrase ' RC Disconnected' showed up.  I cannot get the unit to fly.  I'm very disappointed with the lack of an actual manual, need to use the Internet to school myself and the lack of support for Apple products.  Does anyone know what and how to upgrade the firmware in the RC?  (I've seen other sources on the Internet suggesting this).  Why doesn't DJI GO on my iPhone tell me that has to be done?  I'm real close to sending this back to Amazon.  Any help would be very appreciated!
2016-4-23
Use props
hotzntotz
lvl.1

Thailand

jackpast Posted at 2016-4-24 07:47
Hello all.  Just got new P4 yesterday.  I'm totally new with drones, quads, whatever they're calle ...

im dealing with the exact same thing
2016-4-24
Use props
hotzntotz
lvl.1

Thailand

nebelung Posted at 2016-4-22 10:36

Curious if it worked for you. I'm currently dealing with the same issue. So did you just press 'retry' a million times?
2016-4-24
Use props
alexandr.abrame
New

Russia

Windows 7/10. I will try 30 times..
2016-4-24
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

alexandr.abrame Posted at 2016-4-24 10:50

Windows 7/10. I will try 30 times..

Have you tried rebooting PC and running assistant again ?

Reboot P4 ?
2016-4-24
Use props
alexandr.abrame
New

Russia

Yes, of course. 10-20-30 times 2 days.. 0 times fly.
2016-4-24
Use props
Thunderbirdsare
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10476 ft
Australia

nebelung Posted at 2016-4-22 08:52

I tried the DJI Assistant 2 on 2 Macbook Pros now. I get the  ...

relink..reboot. you are bricking the processor
2016-4-24
Use props
Thunderbirdsare
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10476 ft
Australia

wxeye Posted at 2016-4-22 10:40
I have a P4.  Was really nervous about the fireware upgrade but tried it today with no problems.  Do ...

you can also get a txt message on the SD card to show success...this you can copy and keep as a log of all your upgrades
2016-4-24
Use props
nebelung
lvl.4

hotzntotz Posted at 2016-4-24 16:31
Curious if it worked for you. I'm currently dealing with the same issue. So did you just press 're ...

Sorry to hear about you having the same problem I had.

In my case it simply just worked. I was using the same MBP, cable, etc. that this had failed on many times before. After a frustrating day with this, I gave up and had a beer instead. Next day it was fine.

So maybe the beer fixed it...?
2016-4-25
Use props
jackpast
lvl.1

United States

Just to let all know...after I posted with my problem I hooked up my iPad to the RC.  Started DJI GO and voila!  I was told I needed to upgrade my firmware!  I started it...it went smoothly then prompted me to hook iPad to quad.  I did and all went smoothly.  I shut everything down, hooked iPad back up to RC and started everything up!  Gimbal moved (which wasn't happening after 1st firmware upgrade earlier that day).  So next day I took it for first flight with no problems.  Well, now I'm on another thread regarding artifacts in my video when moving the camera up or down.  Ugh.
2016-4-25
Use props
Ashmo
New

Switzerland

Hi All,

Very similar experience here ... I bought my Phantom 4 this week end in an Apple Store. When I tried to start it for the first time it requested to be updated. Great. RC was done with no issue on the spot and I took my P4 to my iMac for upgrade. First incredible (to me) thing, when I installed the Assistant I got the message about this software not being verified by Apple (hum... sold in an Apple Store and no Apple code signing ?) . For the first time I had to manually change the settings to allow code from anywhere since the usual way of allowing software to run on an exception basis did not work ... Ok whatever, launched the tool, it detected my P4 immediately then took some time to tell me that there is a new firmware to be installed. I clicked upgrade, waited for the download to finish and then ... Fail. Tried to restart the Mac, tried to restart the P4, fail, fail and fail ... So I tried on a second Mac (pro) with exactly the same results ...  I started to be really annoyed when I decided to boot a virtual PC on my iMac and try from there ... and guess what ... worked on first try .... Ok worked is a big world since it stopped at 90% of the upgrade (but by this time the P4 had restarted on its own already so I guessed the upgrade process was over) and after having waited 15min more (at 90% with no progress) I tool my chance and connected the RC. Everything was fine the P4 was up to date (while the PC Assistant was still showing 90% progress...)

To summarize : I bought a P4 in an Apple store but I could not (after trying 20 times on 2 different macs) upgrade it using an Apple computer ... That's really odd to say the least ...
There are quite big opportunities for improvement in this area I guess ...

2016-4-25
Use props
matthew.b.dicke
lvl.1

United States

So, I just spent the better part of a day messing with the firmware upgrades using the DJI Assistant program.  Each time, I got a failure message about 10 seconds after the upgrade would start.  I should have watched the one video that DJI has on how to install that application on a Mac.  Not only do you need to install the physical application BUT there is also a driver in the DMG file that needs to be installed as well (and then the machine rebooted).  I was successful in my first firmware upgrade and am now waiting for the most current one to finish.  Good luck all!
2016-4-30
Use props
paysoproduction
lvl.1

alexandr.abrame Posted at 2016-4-24 17:58
Yes, of course. 10-20-30 times 2 days.. 0 times fly.

same here man its terrribleeeeee lol
2016-4-30
Use props
alexandr.abrame
New

Russia

return it back for replace.
2016-5-30
Use props
serhanserhan_77
New

Lebanon

i have problem with my new firmware update how i can change it
2016-11-11
Use props
serhanserhan_77
New

Lebanon

i see some point on my filming  
Screenshot_2016-11-11-14-20-24.png
2016-11-11
Use props
Jcostello
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1861490 ft

United Kingdom

my p4 will only work on the previous update like many others on here. The latest update is a nightmare toooooo many problems to list
2016-11-12
Use props
dZe4UaPJgyOi
lvl.1
United States

I've done much of what is described in this thread.  I have a brand new P4 but have had another P4 and two P3s.  There is something wrong with Assistant.  It only allows me to see Inspire downloads.  I've done this on a Mac & Windows 8 machine.  DJI must know this however I just talked to someone there and he said all was OK but I should wait for the next assistant release.  He didn't know when this would be.
2017-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules