Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ground Level Magnetic Interference
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
marty
lvl.1
United States

I am attempting flights that are originating from a locale rich in magnetic interference. I cannot avoid the environs and the source of the metal is a lot of rebar in concrete and steel plating (a simulated ship deck). All of it is at, or below ground level.

I can find a gravel area off to the side to calibrate the compass, but when I relocate to my desired base of operations and homepoint, I'm in the thick of it..... at least at ground level. When the P3 is held about 4 or 5 feet above the ground, my GPS locks in and everything looks great.

I have a workaround for my landings. I have practiced a  catch-retrieval with colleague.... so once airborne, the P3 will never  get closer than 8 to 10 feet from the ground.

My question is... so long as I achieve a good compass calibration and maintain a safe altitude above the ground, should my GPS and navigation be trustworthy?

2016-4-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The metal in the concrete will not have any effect on the GPS signal, the only effect is upon the compass. If you achieve a good compass calibration well away from the concrete or any other metal, it will be OK to fly with.
2016-4-21
Use props
marty
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-21 19:42
The metal in the concrete will not have any effect on the GPS signal, the only effect is upon the co ...

Thanks Geebax.... that was my guess. I appreciate the feedback.
2016-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules