950 4 2016-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ishtarbgl
lvl.2
Flight distance : 53323 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

I've been heavily researching drones and was getting closer to purchasing the one I want when I started looking closer at the B4UFLY no-fly zones.  One of the reasons I've been thinking about getting a drone is I do a lot of family GoPro videography.  My family has a reunion coming up in Destin, Florida and I thought it might be neat to get some aerial shots of our family on the beach.

However, as I look at these maps on B4UFLY it seems like a huge part of the coast line is no-fly?  Specifically, where we will be on the beach will be just inside the 5-mile radius of two small helipads.  What is protocol here?  Is flying your done on the beach nowadays just off-limits?  Technically, am I supposed to follow some kind of process where I contact the helipads to ask for approval to fly at a specific day / time?  Should I just fly and not worry about it since I'm only .5 miles inside the no-fly radius?  I want to do what is right, but its hard to tell whether these regulations should be followed to the letter or is it like the speed limits where going 67 mph in a 65 mph speed zone won't raise any flags.  
2016-4-22
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

if its is 2 helipads there is no major air traffic at them.    i know its techinically wrong but i have helipads around my house and i know 1 is at a hospital, another at public service electric station, and another at an old closed down factory.     no towers to contact.    i just fly anyway,  below 400 as always.  most of the time bwtween 150-300,   if you fly sensible and respectifully your not going to have any problems.   if they were airports you just call the control towers and ask for permission,  give them times, dates, location( area you will fly and altitude.     
2016-4-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Some places may allow and some may not. It's totally up to the user to comply. You will see videos of flight where they should not be flying.
Myself, I obey and do not fly where it is not permitted. BUT, there's plenty of people out there that do.
2016-4-22
Use props
madaerial
lvl.2
Flight distance : 512251 ft
United States

So, the hospitals near me have heliports, and show up on the app. The local tower does air traffic control for them. I just call the tower.
2016-4-22
Use props
ishtarbgl
lvl.2
Flight distance : 53323 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

This is really confusing.  Is there a consensus around what map or site people should use to understand definitively what are considered no-fly zones?  I just went to http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/air-space-map/ and it reflects nothing in the area I live in as a no-fly zone.  However, if I go to the B4UFLY app on my iPhone it states something completely different and says I am in a no-fly zone.  The opposite seems true for where I'm going in Destin, FL.  The knowbeforeyoufly site reflects the entire coastline as no-fly whereas the B4UFLY app reflects some pockets where you can.
2016-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules