External antenna
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rickjgonzalez37
lvl.1

I have a P3P and sometimes when I fly the sun is too bright making it difficult to view the image on my phone.  If I try to get into a shaded area then I will usually have something blocking my signal to and from the P3 and I get the week signal error until I move back into the line of sight.. I am planning on taking the P3 on my boat but I want to be under the hardtop so I can better view the image on my phone, I have seen range extenders that utilize antenna cables to connect to the remote.  I am not really looking to extend the range any further, but I would definately would like to remotely mount my antenna on a pole while I am shileded from the sun.

Has anybody succesfully used remotely mounted antennas for this purppose?

Thanks
Rick

2016-4-23
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

The big problem with this, aside from voiding your warranty, it the coaxial cable. To get a long cable with the proper connectors of sufficient quality to avoid losing all the signal due to line loss will cost you a good chunk of change.  It is technically possible,  but not practical.  The power output of the r/c is quite low.

2016-4-23
Use props
timmer1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 30502 ft

"...I get the week signal error until I move back into the line of sight."

First off, you should always maintain line of sight with the aircraft.

Have you tried a sun-shade for your phone?  There are sun-shades now for almost every compatible phone.

You can also modify your RC so you can use different antennas, see here: http://fdrdronemods.com/product/ ... -with-no-boosters/.

Here: http://fdrdronemods.com/product/magnetic-mounts-10ft-cable/.

And here: http://fdrdronemods.com/product-category/antennae/.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide to do!
2016-4-23
Use props
rickjgonzalez37
lvl.1

I like the magnetic bases but I like to make sure I can switch from the OEM antennae and the remote antennae.  How do the antennae come off?  I did try a mickey mouse sun shade but I really need to get under cover, and the problem will be worse out on the water.
2016-4-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

rickjgonzalez37 Posted at 2016-4-24 13:21
I like the magnetic bases but I like to make sure I can switch from the OEM antennae and the remote  ...

You do realise there are two antennas to deal with?

2016-4-23
Use props
rickjgonzalez37
lvl.1

Yes, that is why I mentioned both bases and antennae in plural.
2016-4-23
Use props
ccbiggz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117697 ft
United States

timmer1 Posted at 2016-4-23 16:26
"...I get the week signal error until I move back into the line of sight."

First off, you should al ...

That's come cool stuff there.
2016-4-24
Use props
andrewkehn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 128123 ft
United States

rickjgonzalez37 Posted at 2016-4-24 12:05
Yes, that is why I mentioned both bases and antennae in plural.

On the remote someone said the left antenna is RC control (transmitter) and the right antenna is data from the craft (receiver) so I have to ask why when a booster (RF amp) is used why is it installed on both antennas. How does the RF amp help the receiver side . Please let the know

2016-5-8
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

If the primary goal is to be able to shield the screen from the sun I found a solution that works.  (Well... as long as you don't mind looking a bit tetched in the head or like an idiot) Sticking your head and the controller in a box does an amazing job of blocking the sun.
DJI_0980 Head-in-a-box.JPG
2016-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules