Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI COSTOMERS BEWARE
1170 25 2016-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kalifornia
Ban Posts

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Yes, we get a message just like this about once a week. No-one forces anyone to buy the DJI products. You do your research, buy what you want and take your chances. These aircraft are a brand new technology, and if you buy into one, then you are in for a great ride. But don't expect them to be faultless, DJI, like every other manufacturer, are learning too.
2016-4-24
Use props
RV7 Flyer
lvl.2

United States

" These aircraft are a brand new technology"

But they're NOT "brand new".  The Phantom is on its *fourth* major version now.  And the platform for the app, iOS, is well-developed.  And DJI has several other platforms, as well (Inspire, etc.).

I think the OP is right...they've been around for 10 years now, but their development (and support) still seems really Mickey Mouse, like they never got past the amateur/start-up stage.

It's time to stop releasing software until it's been thoroughly tested and wrung out, for example.  Yes, it's expensive to do, but in the long run, less expensive than the lost customer base.  And their support is truly atrocious.

High time for DJI to start acting like a grown-up consumer electronics company, and not a fly-by-night, garage shop group of teenage hackers.
2016-4-24
Use props
Cessna172
Second Officer
United States

Some of this may not be DJI's fault at all.

Consider the pressure that DJI faces as the USA Federal government tells DJI what it can and can't allow their products to do (In the USA)
We all know that the United States Government is deep into regulating drones and no doubt, DJI must wrangle with tons of stupid government demands at every turn.
Everything that goes into the programming and development of these machines probably has to be manipulated to the ever finiky, ever changing, ever demanding, ever flip flopping bureacracy that is US government regulators.   The USA is known globally as "The Regulation Nation Nanny State"Unless you've done computer programming, you may not undersstand how regulations concerning one system could affect other systems.
It's a VERY complex dance.

I bet 80% of the problems can be back tracked to the US government
2016-4-24
Use props
rayrokni
Captain
Flight distance : 8139875 ft

Sorry but this is a load of hog wash and been repeated numerous  times.
2016-4-24
Use props
Cessna172
Second Officer
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2016-4-24 23:59
Sorry but this is a load of hog wash and been repeated numerous  times.

You didn't add jack to the conversation except negativity

2016-4-24
Use props
rayrokni
Captain

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-4-25 12:11
You didn't add jack to the conversation except negativity

Buzz off

Negativity? Conversation?
Bitching is not a conversation! There isn't anything to add to an old theme
What are you guys, 12 years old?

2016-4-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

RV7 Flyer Posted at 2016-4-25 12:49

But they're NOT "brand new".  The Phantom is on its *f ...

'It's time to stop releasing software until it's been thoroughly tested and wrung out, for example. '

Yeah, good luck with that. Do you believe in the tooth fairy as well?

2016-4-24
Use props
RV7 Flyer
lvl.2

United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-4-24 22:46

Consider the pressure that DJI faces as the USA Federal ...

There are no government regulations causing this.  In fact, part of the problem is likely that DJI is fussing around with things like their own definitions of no-fly zones and such, instead of focusing on the core stability and reliability of the software.

The federal regulations on drone flights apply to the *operator*/pilot, NOT the manufacturer.
2016-4-25
Use props
RV7 Flyer
lvl.2

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-25 00:28
'It's time to stop releasing software until it's been thoroughly tested and wrung out, for example ...

Having developed software for consumer electronics, I can tell you that I would have been fired had I sent software for release with as many bugs and issues as this stuff has.

Sorry if I don't feel like giving a "pass" to a company that has been around now for a decade, for a product that costs in excess of a thousand bucks.
2016-4-25
Use props
WetDog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1131886 ft
United States

RV7 Flyer Posted at 2016-4-24 18:49

But they're NOT "brand new".  The Phantom is on its *f ...

Like Apple, our 'favorite' tech company that routinely ships updates that trash things for some people (just head over to the forums for some real Sturm Und Drang).

Yes, DJI should do better but unfortunately the bar is really pretty low these days when it comes to firmware updates.  And, if anybody is at home, please consider the following:

1) Clean up your firmware installation for the Technically Declined - you know, the people you are actively advertising the Phantoms 4.  One button should do it.

2) AND (important) run another pathway that allows more flexibility for the enthusiast.  Perhaps more features, faster turnaround.  THE ABILITY TO ROLL BACK AN UPGRADE.   Release notes that aren't written by the marketing department.  Make sure the legal department DOES NOT know about this pathway.

I might buy another DJI product again.  As it stands, not very likely.
2016-4-25
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Kal,

I hear you and I agree with a lot of what you said. Knowing what you now know, circumvent the problem. I fly with an Nvidia Shield and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2. I fly 4 birds with them, a P2V+v3, 2-P3Pro's and a 3rd Solo. Once I feel as though "I have what I need", I lock everything down, including the OS. Since we're talking about the P3 (I think?) here's what I'm on: AC FW 1.4, RC FW 1.3, DJI Go 2.4.3 (for settings only) and I fly exclusively with Litchi 2.7.1 (the last SDK 2 version).

I'm missing a couple of the most recent advanced flight modes but that's it. Short of that my birds fly great and I don't have many of the hassles that people seem to complain about. It sounds like you're pretty familiar with this stuff. Lock everything down and fly!

JMHO, of course,

Jerry
2016-4-25
Use props
aopisa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430686 ft

rayrokni Posted at 2016-4-25 12:23
Negativity? Conversation?
Bitching is not a conversation! There isn't anything to add to an old th ...

It's all the government's fault. They have their hands in everything these days. I noticed a change in the softness of my toilet paper due to new government regulations.

And by the way 9/11 was orchestrated by the government and the U.S. never walked on the moon, it was just a part of Cold War propaganda.

Thanks Obama!
2016-4-25
Use props
evsjas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1995479 ft
United States

I love my phantom 3 pro (2nd one I have owned) . I have never had problems with the firmware or app updates.
2016-4-25
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 15812070 ft
  • >>>
United States

Obviously you have put a lot of time and thought into your Post. Honestly I don't understand where you are coming from. Granted at first it was the iPhone and it was state of the art. and then came along the Tablets. Honestly, I started with an iPad due to the display and room to move around in the GO App. and for me it was a bit to bulky and I moved to the iPad Mini 4 and found that to be a perfect match for me. I started using that with my P3P and now I use it with my P4 and  still use it with both Phantoms and my next venture will be another Inspire. I assure that my Tablet will work with that as well. Does DJI pretty much shine with Apple? Absolutely and we all appreciate and understand that relationship. I for one am very glad as both are on top of their game. Trying to merge the technology of Apple and DJI into one device would be cost prohibitive for most of us.

I could go on and on but I am not going to write a novel. You have the right to your opinion as all of the other forum members. I for one am very happy with the DJI Apple experience.
2016-4-25
Use props
ardrijewellery
Captain
Flight distance : 4724977 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

What is all this shite, get a life if this product is messing with your heads so much go get a rocking chair and sit out on the back porch and watch the happy people take to the skies and just have fun..
2016-4-25
Use props
Chipsb
New

United States

My P3 has been down for going on 2 months now.  It was working flawlessly until an earlier firmware update which pushed other updates.  My RC simply would not upgrade and it had to be shipped back and was replaced after a 4 week turnaround.  When I relinked it and updated the Go app and aircraft firmware, I now have no video feed and a very expensive paperweight. Support had no idea why it wasn't working and said they would get back to me and didn't.  Now their online support is down, yet again, and it's back to the phone call circus.  Do they not test these firmware upgrades?  Very unhappy customer at the moment.
2016-4-25
Use props
rayrokni
Captain

"DJI does not test fw before release", that's the most ignorant statement I keep coming across on this forum.
Are you guys serious or just ranting?
A multi billion dollar company, and you think they don't test things before they send them out?
Or could it be you guys that have no patience or knowledge when it comes to upgrading fw. I bet you majority of fw issues would be solved if you just started the process and went away for an hour
2016-4-26
Use props
microcyb
First Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Fact is DJI does do quite a bit of testing before they release any software or firmware updates, but with change does come with risk.
Sometimes older equipment might get left behind in upgrades, this does become a frustration to users and yes it should be a factor when updating..
We have all seen this with iPhones, iPads, Droids, game consoles, etc.
The problem will always be backward compatibility and compatibility with so many different types of phones/tablets.

What can be done in the future?
Well, if DJI does not already, they should reach out to their certified DJI partners to help the efforts in beta testing and offer beta test incentives for DJI customers to help the effort to insure upgrades are performed to the highest standards possible to keep as many customer happy.

Technology advancements will always get faced with these types of obstacles and sadly this is unavoidable, but with a combined effort between DJI and partners offering to help in the testing of these upgrades will help to improve the product with less issues.

Granted these are just my thoughts, and how I perform my upgrades to keep clients happy.
2016-4-26
Use props
Bhujang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322867 ft
United Kingdom

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-4-25 04:46

Consider the pressure that DJI faces as the USA Federal ...

well said, I think that user error comes into play a lot. People like to think they know a thing or 2 and make mistakes. Also after crashes things maybe not quite right and with a quick scan check the drone may appear normal, even take off normal but then... Or the fw update may go wrong due to internal part error after a crash as well.
2016-4-26
Use props
Bhujang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322867 ft
United Kingdom

"Granted these are just my thoughts, and how I perform my upgrades to keep clients happy." hey microcyb

wow really? I thought it was text on a web page I was reading? ;) rotfwl...

sorry couldn't resist...
2016-4-26
Use props
jerryjonz
lvl.2

United States

I retired from IBM after 34 years as a Software developer.
If I released software as bad as DJI does I would have been fired.
Anyone who does not agree with that has no knowledge on how to do it correctly.
If we found a problem after release we tried very hard to fix it immediately.
We would call customers with problems to understand the situation causing it.
DJI does not seem to care their software is broken!!!
2016-4-26
Use props
mjlstudios
First Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

I always wait a few weeks to upgrade. I want to see what problems arises from those who update the first day an upgrade is available! So if a n upgrade is effecting a lot of pilots who use the same mobile device I use, I wait until DJI can get it right. I have found that being first, in my 60 years of life, isn't always the best place to be in!
2016-4-26
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

jerryjonz Posted at 2016-4-26 15:46
I retired from IBM after 34 years as a Software developer.
If I released software as bad as DJI doe ...

Jerry,

You are absolutely right! DJI does test these firmware and software updates but their objective and yours (ours) may be two entirely different things. DJI is only concerned with selling product, that's what pays the bills and provides them many other opportunities via sharing your data with 3rd parties. Taking back and/or repairing products is an income reducer and isn't beneficial to the ultimate goal.

We are very naïve and therefore deserve the cultivation we receive. Complaining about it won't do a damned thing. Having been with IBM for so many years, you already know this to be true. When IBM was at the top of the heap they weren't squeaky clean either. As sad as it may be, it's just the way the new world works.

Respectfully,

Jerry
2016-4-26
Use props
Ribfeast
lvl.3
Australia

2016-4-26
Use props
Richard in Bois
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18327 ft
United States

RV7 Flyer Posted at 2016-4-25 08:52
Having developed software for consumer electronics, I can tell you that I would have been fired ha ...

I developed software for more than thirty years and I would have never released any of it without first; thorough testing and second; accurate documentation.  Neither of which is done by DJI.  Documentation being the biggest deficit from DJI.  Whoever their CIO is, the person should be fired for missing the mark for years.  It may be the culture in China to get by without documenting what is done but in this country it is not acceptable and we are a big customer.  Get with it DJI.  You have great products but totally missing the mark on documentation.  Guess what... If your developers were required to generate accurate documtation, they would do a better job programming.  It a fact.
2016-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules