Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New OSMO video in Myanmar - Comments + advice on compression issues
1609 13 2016-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JD约翰先生
lvl.1

United States

Hi Guys,

Here's my new video shot with the Osmo (and my Sony RX100m3) in Myanmar and edited on Adobe Premiere Pro CC -

As I mentioned in another thread, I had LOTS of trouble with compression and quality issues with both the final result AND even more with the video once it was uploaded on Youtube and Youku.

All the parts filmed with the Sony seem to be fine, yet some of the Osmo shots would continue losing quality in whatever format/settings I exported the file/uploaded the file online. FYI, all videos with the Osmo were filmed in 1080p 60fps, D-Log (and the original files straight out of the Osmo were great), while the Sony videos were in 1080p 50fps.

Have a look at the video in 1080p, and let me know what you think - any advice on what I did wrong/need to adjust next time let me know. Perhaps filming with different settings, format (MOV, MP4) etc etc may help. The final video I exported via Adobe Premiere Pro CC (i'm a super amateur at editing, and this is the first video I edit with this software, and third video I edit in general) was exported with a 50mbit bitrate (tried anything less, and results on some of the more detailed/complex Osmo shots were terrible). Result was good, but once uploaded online it still lost quality in some parts - I am not exactly enthusiastic with the final result (once online).

Cheers,

JD

2016-4-24
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Thanks a lot for your video!
I have to say, your Chinese is pretty good!
I'll look forward to more video from you about shooting in different interesting places.

As for the quality of the image, as you sated above that the original files straight out of the Osmo were great, so I think the Osmo is OK and I would just hope more knowledge people would give you some advice about your other issues.
2016-4-24
Use props
JD约翰先生
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-4-25 02:41
Thanks a lot for your video!
I have to say, your Chinese is pretty good!
I'll look forward to mor ...

Thanks, yet I wasn't trying to show off my Chinese I just live here, so I blend in.

Anyhow sure, the videos directly out of the Osmo were great, yet I need to know that they can be edited and uploaded online effectively...or it kind of defeats the purpose of filming in the first place (aka sharing with friends, family and online users worldwide).

I read a bunch of negative comments about this issue by many users around the web, yet some have managed to produce some pretty good results on Youtube and other platforms, so perhaps there is indeed a secret. What should be noted, however, is that my Sony RX100m3 videos NEVER EVER lose quality, wherever I uploaded them. That must mean something, no?

Cheers,

JD
2016-4-25
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Enjoy your life in China!
Here is a link of another thread which shows some tutorials about how to do the settings and upload the footage to YouTube for the best image quality. Please have a look:
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=48826
2016-4-25
Use props
AndyY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14537 ft
United Kingdom

I'm suffering exactly the same issue JD.

The original .mov files have excellent clarity but the Premiere Pro CC rendered .mp4 file is poor in comparison with massive amounts of simplified pixellation in the areas with little tonal difference.

- go to 2m 50secs +

These were my Export Settings:

If anyone can offer advice I'd also be very grateful.
2016-4-25
Use props
JD约翰先生
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-4-25 04:56
**** The posts are shielded ****

The post is shielded...I can't see anything.
2016-4-25
Use props
JD约翰先生
lvl.1

United States

AndyY Posted at 2016-4-25 18:18
I'm suffering exactly the same issue JD.

The original .mov files have excellent clarity but the Pre ...

Alright man, seems like we are indeed experiencing the same problems.

The main difference between your export settings compared to mine is the bitrate - I exported at 50mb/s to ensure the highest quality (hence why my 4m video is pretty much the same size as your 19m video). However, despite this difference, the result online has similar flaws. And the point I am trying to make is that the videos shot with my Sony hardly every lose any quality due to compression etc

Hoping someone can help us figure this problem out! Either with tricks/suggestions while filming (settings etc) or with project settings/export settings on Adobe Premiere Pro.

Cheers,

JD
2016-4-25
Use props
darkjudicator
Second Officer
Ukraine

I didn't notice such a problem in my videos, but I record in d-log format and tune it in Adobe Premiere. And also I set "Render at maximum depth" setting.
2016-4-25
Use props
darkjudicator
Second Officer
Ukraine

Hmm, actually I've just reviewed my video and now noticed such a problem. I just guess this is because of fast motion and low recording bit rate Osmo gives - only 60 mb/s, it's probably not enough for fast motion.
2016-4-25
Use props
jeffmoltenberry
lvl.1

United States

I'm no expert, but consider YouTube's recommended upload encoding settings. https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Also, i've seen some people suggest a constant bit rate vs variable bit rate.
2016-4-26
Use props
AndyY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14537 ft
United Kingdom

JD约翰先生 Posted at 2016-4-26 06:32
Alright man, seems like we are indeed experiencing the same problems.

The main difference between ...

I've had some significant improvements today with similar footage JD by opening a new project as a HDV Capture Format and selecting Youtube 2160p 4K from the preset dropdown when exporting; I hadn't noticed that before.

Worth a try?
2016-4-26
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

JD约翰先生 Posted at 2016-4-26 13:28
The post is shielded...I can't see anything.
Here is a link of another thread which shows some tutorials about how to do the settings and upload the footage to YouTube for the best image quality. Please have a look:
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=48826
2016-4-26
Use props
JD约翰先生
lvl.1

United States

AndyY Posted at 2016-4-26 13:55
I've had some significant improvements today with similar footage JD by opening a new project as a  ...

Sure, absolutely worth a try! I usually film at 1080p 60fps, so I had already tried the Youtube 1080p preset and the result was poor (i think it exported at 10mbit/s, which is nowhere near enough).

I will do some tests filming at 4K, and then using this preset you suggested.

Thanks,

JD
2016-4-26
Use props
JD约翰先生
lvl.1

United States

darkjudicator Posted at 2016-4-26 03:53
Hmm, actually I've just reviewed my video and now noticed such a problem. I just guess this is becau ...

Now THAT sounds like a plausible reason! Perhaps my Sony films at higher bitrates, and therefore quality is rarely (or ever) affected, on whatever platform I upload footage on.

Will look into this,

Cheers
2016-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules