Rotor De-Icing
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
drago_6999
lvl.2

I know this isnt really the season, but next winter i plan on going around town and getting pics of Christmas lights. Im concerned about rotor icing. I know the typical response will be " Well just dont do it ", but im gonna try anyway. Anywhooooooo, i wanted to know if anyone has tried this trick.....WD 40 on the props, not heavy, just wipe a cloth dampened with it across them. In my old days of off roading and mudding, we used WD40 on all electronics to keep them dry, and my logic is if you keep moisture off the props you wont get icing. I wanna know what you think, or if any one has tried this or even what you all use to keep my P3P safe.....Tanks!!!!!

2016-4-25
Use props
evsjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1995479 ft
United States

I have flown in snow with nothing on props with no problems. Pam cooking spray would work too if you were worried.
2016-4-25
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Closest I came to serious prop icing this past winter was in freezing fog; flying just as it was lifting. Cold alone isn't a major problem.
2016-4-25
Use props
rafen.rafen
New

Sweden

I ve flown with snow without serious issue. Most probably, battery will run short due to low temperatures. Suggest not toworry to much.
2016-4-25
Use props
jyurkyandsons
lvl.2

United States

I like the Pam over Wd 40 but I'll probably use lemon pledge
2016-4-25
Use props
Alan Guan
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-25
Use props
jwt873
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

Like johnsr points out, you need special conditions for icing to occur.  It has to be freezing and very humid/foggy.

I've flown multirotors in temperatures as low as -30C   (22 Below zero F) with no ice problems of any sort.  I don't fly when it's snowing.  I worry about it melting and the water getting in to things.

2016-4-25
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

I guess mounting 4 tiny blowtorches,  1 for each prop,  would not be too practical.  But it would work.
2016-4-25
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-4-25 13:06
I guess mounting 4 tiny blowtorches,  1 for each prop,  would not be too practical.  But it would wo ...

Oh Kneepuck , you gave my quite the "Chortle " with the tiny Blowtorch idea.....

Mr . donnie>>>>   Second Officer  ( I am moving up the ranks  )
2016-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules