Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Newbie questions
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
home9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4537 ft
United States

I just purchased a DJI Phantom 3 4K and am having some issues/questions.

First, the connection between the controller and smart device, does it have to be a USB cable connection?

Second, I am having difficulty upgrading the firmware. I could not find a download for the P3 4K so I downloaded the P3 Professional firmware. When I put it on the SD card and attempted to upgrade, the camera light never blinked green/red. It blinked green for a moment, then just went solid green and never wrote a log file to the SD card saying successful or failed. What am I doing wrong? I followed the directions to the "T" and cannot get it to work. On the controller I had issues because I was trying to use a Samsung Note 3 as my smart device and I didn't have a micro usb to micro usb cable to connnect to the controller which I think was my issue because it kept saying I needed to be connected to the internet to upgrade.

I am going to try to call the help desk this evening if I make it home in time so any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2016-4-25
Use props
betoleal
lvl.3
Flight distance : 550472 ft
United States

1. Connect your Phantom to your cell/tablet using wifi.
2. Open DJI GO. You gonna see the message about the upgrade on the top. Just follow the instructions.
2016-4-25
Use props
home9
lvl.2
United States

betoleal Posted at 2016-4-25 09:46
1. Connect your Phantom to your cell/tablet using wifi.
2. Open DJI GO. You gonna see the message ab ...

That was what I did, and it would not upgrade. Kept saying I needed to connect to the internet. With the Note 3 it won't download from the internet on mobile data if it is using a wifi connection. That was my issue. I ordered a micro-usb to micro-usb cable to try to get around that.
2016-4-25
Use props
betoleal
lvl.3
Flight distance : 550472 ft
United States

home9 Posted at 2016-4-25 09:54
That was what I did, and it would not upgrade. Kept saying I needed to connect to the internet. Wi ...

Before updating through the app, did you change the wifi connection to your wifi?
2016-4-25
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"First, the connection between the controller and smart device, does it have to be a USB cable connection? "
The P3-4K uses wifi to connect the tablet and controller, not a usb cable
2016-4-25
Use props
P3-4K-FL
lvl.2
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-25 10:00
"First, the connection between the controller and smart device, does it have to be a USB cable conne ...

So, while spending 45 minutes on the phone waiting to speak to a help desk guy I again tried to update the firmware. This time purely by using the DJI GO app. I connected my Samsung Note 5 to the RC easily, then the app said to turn on the aircraft. I did, and then the app walked me through activating the airframe. When it got to the end of the questions, it said to disconnect from the RC and reconnect to my home wifi. I did that and it activated the aircraft. When it was done it said to reconnect to the RC which I did. Then it said it was going to update the airframe, which it did and right at that moment I got onto the call with the DJI helpdesk. I explained what was going on and asked a few questions because the airframe seemed to be updating.

Question 1. Do I need to use the SD card to update the airframe?
Answer 1. No, the DJI GO app will do all of the updates for a Phantom 3 4K airframe.

Question 2. Do I need a USB cable to update the Remote Control?
Answer 2. No, the DJI GO app will do all of the updates for thePhantom 3 4K remote control.

I thank the guy and continued on with updating the firmware. It finished and then I tried to update the RC, but apparently it had already updated so it was done.

I took the whole pile outside and attempted to turn on the motors with no success. The IMU calibration was too far off. I calibrated the IMU via the GO app and then attempted to start the motors with complete success.

I was able to finally fly the P3 4K! It was pretty cool, though by that time it was dark so I didn't do much more with it.

Thanks for all of the answers today, I appreciated the suggestions.
2016-4-25
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Be aware that you may be frustrated tomorrow when you try to fly because it will likely take quite  awhile to "warm up".  To fix this, do a fresh IMU calibration during the coldest time of day (usually just around sunrise).  Take it out an hour or so early so it can cool down.  Keep the battery inside, so it is warm.  When it is cooled down, do another IMU calibration.  The warmup time will decrease substantially from when it was calibrated during the warmer part of the day.  I do mine as close to freezing, or colder, and my warmup times are much less than one minute.
2016-4-25
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello home9, the RC for the 4K uses wifi to connect your mobile device and the you can only upgrade the drone and RC's firmware via DJI Go app. It is familiar to phantom 3 Standard's upgrading.

If the upgrading fails, it is recommended to format the card before next upgrade.
2016-4-25
Use props
P3-4K-FL
lvl.2
United States

Here is what I did to fix the issue.

1. Charge both the Remote Control (RC) and the aircraft battery fully before beginning.
2. To update the firmware you must use the DJI GO app on either an Android or Apple product. I used a Samsung Galaxy Note 5. Download the latest version of the DJI GO app for your device.
3. Follow the directions (these were actually correct) to turn on the RC then connect your device to the WiFi on the device. IT will come up with a wireless network with "Phantom..." in the name with a bunch of numbers after. The wifi code is 12341234
4. It will ask you to connect the aircraft, so turn it on following the directions.
5. Once it is connected, it will say you must "Activate" the aircraft. It walked me through numerous questions about the aircraft and myself (like what you wanted to name the aircraft, your email address etc...) Once it was complete it said to disconnected from the RC Wifi and connect to your home network to finish the activation. I did that and then once it was activated, it downloaded the latest firmware. It then said to reconnect to the RC to complete the firmware update.
6. I reconnected to the RC WiFi and the firmware updated. The aircraft makes all kinds of crazy noises while it is updating, but it was successful.
7. According to the instructions you are supposed to update the RC also, but I didn't specifically do anything to do that but it must have updated, because after all of this I was able to go out and fly the P3 4K.
2016-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules