Any suggestion about cheap quad for practice flights
1842 14 2015-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
T68L
lvl.1

Sweden

Hi! New to flying quadcopters (flew a lot of RC-planes back when and have also had cert for flying ultralights). Work wants me to look into getting a Quadcopter for areal photo and it seems as if I might have to be the guy flying it (tough job but someone has to do it ... ).
The Inspire 1 is right now our top candidate. But I realize it might be a handful or more to jump straight on it as a quad newbie. So I was thinking about getting a cheaper quad for practice flights. But only if there are cheaper models out there that somewhat have the same characteristics as the Inspire.

So is this a good idea at all? Any suggestions about models (cheaper ones, around a 100-200 usd)?

2015-1-16
Use props
piotr.pawlowski
lvl.2

Poland

Hi, this is the best idea you could imagine. I flew for 4 month something like this (see picture). Cheap and perfect to practice flying skills. Just buy 3-4 batteries and have fun. Believe me flying this is like hard doom level in computer games, changing to Inspire after let's a month will be like changing the level to novice one - so easy.

This is just simple V949 drone which should not cost more than 60$. I hope there is something like this available in USA. Just remember to buy spare props.
quadrocopter-super-combo-v929-biedronka-duza.jpg
quadrocopter-super-combo-v929-biedronka-duza.jpg
2015-1-16
Use props
mhaislet
lvl.4

United States

go with a dji fc40 you wont be sorry
2015-1-16
Use props
p-swieconek
New

United States

I "flew" my Phantom at least 20 times, then bought a Blade Qx which I could fly around the living room - it is indestructible. I then proceeded to learn how to really fly - I.e. Fly towards myself, figure eights, ovals etc with no worries about crashing - GPS is great, but you can't learn to truly fly without learning on something that you can crash routinely and try different maneuvers.
2015-1-16
Use props
Roastie
lvl.2

France

I am flying a thing called a Red Flip... it's bigger than the inspire but far lighter. All it has is a 3 axis gyro so it's all manual flying. Great practice and great fun too. Cost 70Euro but haven't crashed it (too hard) yet. No camera so no real issue with where to fly it as long as you're sensible...

Flying in strong wind is challenging and you can see the effects of VRS without it costing your bank account. You soon learn not to come straight down.  Blade protectors help with the odd brush with furniture when flying in the lounge... my wife doesn't like me doing that much...

Cheers
2015-1-16
Use props
T68L
lvl.1

Sweden

Thanks for good input!
2015-1-17
Use props
fawkem911
lvl.1

i started out with a blade mqx and a nano qx - the blade takes more skill
2015-1-17
Use props
ablackburn6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 108025 ft
  • >>>
United States

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0 ... fO-9MnBL&ref=plSrch

Great indoor or outdoor practice quad. There is also one with a video downlink that lets you practice FPV - which is a very different skill.
2015-1-17
Use props
mlglisson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

I learned on a Syma XC5-1
2015-1-17
Use props
ianlewis123.ema
lvl.2
Flight distance : 181860 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all just bought a hubsan x4 for practice while waiting on inspire to arrive am i glad i did just to get the feel of how atti mode would feel, crashed it within seconds,with not a scatch on it a brilliant wee practice drone after 5 or 6 charges starting to get the hang of it.highly recommend it.
2015-1-22
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6690 ft
United States

I also learned on this one as well. It wasn't a -1 but very stable and made life allot easier I'll second the SYMA X5C

Mike
2015-1-22
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

DJI phantom fc 40  about 400 bucks and follows some of the same logic as the Dji inspire. I used one all last summer without fail and app for phone works well with app V+ booster at play store.
Cool wifi cam good range cant go wrong.
2015-1-22
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

I flew rc a long time ago , saw the phatom two years back bought it did what they said for preflight and was up an hour later flying it no problem so I think you'll be surprised at the ease of GPS controlled positioning ! Fly it with out looking at the screen to much at first get used to its movement and ability
You know feel the sticks , I'd stay away from using the auto take off and land at first unless it's a safety issue just take off and land manually , fly it in a figure eight keep visual at first blah blah , nice big soccer fields area ?  I'm waiting for my inspire to ship ...
2015-1-22
Use props
MainlineAerial
New

United States

I learned with the parrot ar drone 2.0, $299 and well worth the price. Flies well but little unstable at high speeds which teaches you some restraint. When it does crash, on grass it's typically unscaved, blacktop, you are gonna need to buy some parts. I've fixed mine twice,  easy for a novice. Video is great,  transmitted to iPhone  and controlled by it also.
2015-1-22
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Funny you say that a few years back I spied an ad as well and was puzzled by the Phantom at first it took a year if not more to notice it and give it a try .At first it looked like a toy but man was I wrong!
Learned all on DJI product and trust it with out regards many hours logged on my both Phantoms and happy to be in this Brave New World of the Inspire 1
2015-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules