How often do you calibrate your bird ?
4408 23 2016-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
manatas2
lvl.2

Lithuania

I want to ask how often do you calibrate IMU, gimbal, compass & RC?
Thanks.
2016-4-26
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Man,

I calibrate everything after any firmware upgrade. Short of that, I do a compass cal anytime I move to a different location that is further than about 50 miles. If I get any unusual errors, I may do cals more often. Doesn't seem to be an issue with my P3's. I did more cals with my P2 but probably because I crashed it and had to do a rebuild. All just my opinion and experience, of course.

Jerry
2016-4-26
Use props
nick.pedigreepr
lvl.1

United Kingdom

As little as possible in order to keep it working!!
2016-4-26
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Every 6 months whether it needs it or not.
2016-4-26
Use props
joecia.garcia31
New

United States

the imu, every few flights followed by the gps calibration and the finally the gimbal auto calibration because that should be the last thing to calibrate because it's should be the last thing to move before flight
2016-4-26
Use props
johnsr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

It is good practice to perform an IMU calibration after every firmware update (also after any long transports or shocks). I usually do a gimbal calibration at the same time since its setting on very level surface. I follow this with a compass calibration outdoors, which I don't repeat unless I have really changed location (> 100 km). During the preflight check I simply verify the compass mod value to be sure that it is within range (I recall 1000 to 2000, but typically 1300 to 1500). Getting a good calibration is far more important than frequent calibrations which risk to be poor.
Have fun & good flying!
2016-4-26
Use props
manatas2
lvl.2

Lithuania

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-4-26 19:50
Man,

I calibrate everything after any firmware upgrade. Short of that, I do a compass cal anytime I ...

Thanks
I spoted some issues after last firmware update. When i'm flying, my drone it slightly rotates to the left. I saw it when I flew above straight road and between crossbars. What should I do? Does my drone need calibrations? (I calibrate gps before every flight)
2016-4-26
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
lvl.4
United States

manatas2 Posted at 2016-4-26 14:47
Thanks
I spoted some issues after last firmware update. When i'm flying, my drone it slightly rota ...

Man,

I suppose it's possible that a calibration could help. When you do the IMU calibration its very important that the bird is completely level, cold and still (While actually doing the IMU cal make sure everything is still, don't walk around or let anyone else do so). I put mine in the fridge for 20 minutes before I do the cals. I pull the battery and SD card out of the bird first.

Make sure it's completely level and do the IMU cal, then do the gimbal, then the RC (you need to turn off the bird when you do the RC cal). Make sure you do a new compass cal before you take off.

Jerry
2016-4-26
Use props
cujoAir
lvl.1

I calibrate the bird before every flight, but just the compass calibration. Is that unnecessary?
2016-4-26
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

cujoAir Posted at 2016-4-27 10:41
I calibrate the bird before every flight, but just the compass calibration. Is that unnecessary?

Yes .. and it can introduce the risk of a bad calibration if you try in a bad location.
Here's some discussion that explains things a lot better than the manual:
http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... plete-primer.32829/
2016-4-26
Use props
JockC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

I don't recalibrate anything after a firmware update unless the release notes say to do so. The reason I don't is because, if there are any problems, it makes it more  difficult to understand what caused the issue (ie the firmware or the  calibrations).
I fly the drone cautiously for the first fight after a firmware update and if everything is OK I will then (sometimes) do the various calibrations  after that test flight.  I'd note that I have now done three firmware updates using the above  approach and none of them has caused any flight problems in the subsequent test flght.

At other times, I very seldom perform any recalibrations unless I get an error message or I've travelled more than 50-100 miles to a new location.
2016-4-27
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft

Lately, I have to calibrate about 5x either the IMU, and gimbal calibration several times before I get a straight horizon and then I get gimbal lock and over load.
2016-4-27
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Definitely after an update. The compass when I move a great distance from the previous flight and when I have a notice in the status window, which is not often at all. When doing your IMU be sure that the Phantom is on a flat level surface.
2016-4-27
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

It's interesting how forums are full of people that think they have to recalibrate the IMU after every firmware update ....
But DJI don't think it's important enough to mention in the manual or update notes.

2016-4-27
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 922 ft
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-27 05:54
It's interesting how forums are full of people that think they have to recalibrate the IMU after eve ...

I'm one of those people.  Why would I think it makes sense to update firmware, then take my P3 out to fly - say 100 miles from home - and learn there is a minor issue with how it flies from something related to the IMU calibration, when it's easily calibrated sitting on the case on the floor - where the firmware was just updated?

Compass calibration is done every time I fly somewhere different than the last time out - and usually I will calibrate in the same location as last time - again, I have nothing but a minute or so to use to do it - and potentially prevent a problem.

DJI doesn't say a lot of things in the manual that are just good practices.
2016-4-27
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

knupla2 Posted at 2016-4-27 23:23
I'm one of those people.  Why would I think it makes sense to update firmware, then take my P3 out  ...

It sounds like you are doing unnecessary calibrations of the compass and IMU as superstitious rituals.
The usual explanation given shows no understanding or scientific basis,  just a satisfying feeling that the owner is doing "something" for improved safety.

Like many other flyers, I've never performed an IMU calibration after firmware updates and I've never noticed any issues as a result.
Furthermore I've never heard of any problems caused by failing to do the (not recommended by DJI) IMU calibration and I've never heard any explanation of why it might be needed after a firmware update.
Seems very much like just another forum myth to me but I'd be interested to hear any serious explanations of why it's a  good idea.
2016-4-27
Use props
connorschulte
lvl.3
Flight distance : 261033 ft
United States

I generally only calibrate the compass before a flight in a new location. IMU calibrations are rare, I'd only ever run one if there was an issue.
2016-4-27
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

IMU - once. gimbal - once. compass - twice. RC - never. My bird is flying fine without needing to recalibrate, so why do it? I've seen people say that if you travel, say 100-200 miles away, then you should recalibrate the compass. I travel from DC to Atlanta weekly, flying everywhere in between (except DC itself) and I am not recalibrating the compass every new state i get to, because my bird is flying the same as when i was in the last state. I don't understand the fuss of people thinking they need to calibrate a few times a week in some cases. If somebody can shed some light on why they feel they need to do that, that would greatly help in my understanding of this issue.
2016-4-27
Use props
manatas2
lvl.2

Lithuania

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-4-26 23:36
Man,

I suppose it's possible that a calibration could help. When you do the IMU calibration its v ...

does metal objects do something with IMU? Do I need to be further when i'm calibrating IMU?
2016-4-27
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
lvl.4
United States

manatas2 Posted at 2016-4-27 13:02
does metal objects do something with IMU? Do I need to be further when i'm calibrating IMU?

Man,

Metal shouldn't effect your IMU cal but it will definitely effect your compass cal. Do the IMU cal on a completely steady and level surface. Make sure your bird is cold before you do the IMU.

Jerry
2016-4-27
Use props
kirk2579
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-4-27 11:45
IMU - once. gimbal - once. compass - twice. RC - never. My bird is flying fine without needing to re ...

I think most long term flyers end up doing the same for the most part.

only after something happens do I calibrate IMU.
Compass at most 2 or 3 times in a year

going north to south from atl to DC should be fine compass wise as north is so close for them.
head to ohio from dc...... though!

I treat it like a tool, I do what is needed but don't I don't look for things to do....
2016-4-27
Use props
manatas2
lvl.2

Lithuania

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-4-27 23:49
Man,

Metal shouldn't effect your IMU cal but it will definitely effect your compass cal. Do the I ...

I've done all calibrations but it's still slightly rotates to the left and flies not straight.
2016-4-28
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

I have only calibrated the IMU once, before first flight 9 months ago. Same with compass and gimbal. Hundreds of flights within 200 miles of original location. No problems whatsoever and I have made every FW update DJI has published.

The only thing I ever recalibrated was the sticks on the TX (RC) after the last FW update a few weeks ago, and that was because the GOapp asked me to do this on my P3P.

If I traveled 1000 miles or more I would redo the compass calibration, or if I noticed that the P3P was not flying straight. I have 3 other DJI MRs using DJI Naza and WKM controllers and I treat them the same way with no problems in thousands of flights.
2016-4-28
Use props
Mono
lvl.1
United Kingdom

had my phantom  3 for a week now ..not actually calibrated it  at all ..it hasnt asked me to and it seems to be ok .. still learning and nervous so i never fly far . it as returned to home a few times with out any trouble
2016-5-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules