Are there different production versions of the P4? NA vs USA?
865 10 2016-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
meetjoeasian
lvl.2

United States

So, being within the 30 day return policy still, I returned my Phantom 4 back to Best Buy and got a new one, just so I have peace of mind that what I had was not a hardware issue.  But that's not why I started this thread.  This will be my 3rd P4, and with each one of them, there was always something different in the packaging or the content.  

First off, from my 1st P4 to the 2nd, the landing gears were different in them.  The landing gears of the first one had indentations on the rubber parts where the gimbal clamps go.  The 2nd ones had just the long smooth rubber strips with no section for the clamps.  Both had the blue Lexar 16gb microSD.  In the 1st one, the card was inserted right side up, and it took me awhile to dig it out, and to flip it to the correct upside down position where it was supposed to go.

The 3rd one came with a Panasonic microSD, and I got the landing gears with the sections for the gimbal clamps.  Also the serial # sticker outside of the box shows it was a Phantom 4 (USA) where as my 1st and 2nd were both Phantom 4 (NA).  Also, the 3rd P4 also came with a DJI Care card for if I wish to purchase the service plan from DJI. The card does say it's only available in certain regions, so I'm sure maybe that's why the NA didn't come with one.  But funny how the USA version also has descriptions in French right above the sticker.  Also, the case for the 3rd one has more logos on the side (ie: Youtube advertisement etc...).  Photo below of the 2nd and 3rd boxes.

Screenshot.jpg
IMG_20160426_162953.jpg
2016-4-26
Use props
jyurkyandsons
lvl.2

United States

I made a comment back awhile ago that maybe they are seconds or the ones your taking back re boxed .
2016-4-26
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Look at any product and you'll note minor details change all the time.
That doesn't mean there are different versions though.
2016-4-26
Use props
meetjoeasian
lvl.2

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-27 08:39
Look at any product and you'll note minor details change all the time.
That doesn't mean there are d ...

True...I guess I'm more interested in knowing if there was an earlier production batch, and maybe a post-release production batch where maybe things were rectified if they came out---wrong(?)...Seeing that it just got released no more than 2 months ago, would it be that quick?
2016-4-26
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

meetjoeasian Posted at 2016-4-27 10:48
True...I guess I'm more interested in knowing if there was an earlier production batch, and maybe  ...

The things you are looking at are minor and trivial.
Such little things will always be changing over time but they make no difference to the product.
2016-4-26
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-27 09:18
The things you are looking at are minor and trivial.
Such little things will always be changing ov ...

I personally don't care about it but it speaks to the inconsistencies on the production line. The process of putting these together on the scale they are should be very automated and quite consistent.

Does it matter if the skids have the lines in them or not for flying? Of course not but with all the problems, it might mean one bird has perfect solder points all around while another doesn't. Certainly, there are consistency issues with the P4 and this speaks to that, period. Broken record alert: I bought 2 birds and my second one, I'm just trying for the best working one while the other is fantastic.
2016-4-27
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

Meetjoeasian, why did you change the first and the second P4 ?
2016-4-27
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

And what's the meaning of NA ?
2016-4-27
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I bought a brand new unit from Maplins in the UK just a couple of days ago. They didn't have one in stock locally so it was shipped from their central warehouse. It was delivered in the brown cardboard box that it had been shipped in from the DJI distribution point, complete with security stickers intact and air freight labels etc.
Upon opening (UK Model) there were no protective stickers on any of the sensors or camera. I have been over it thoroughly and all seems to be in good order.

Weather has been really poor here so no chance to really test, but a test hover  for a few minutes doesn't show any problems (touch wood), and video looks clean & crisp.

Sandisk Extreme 16 GB micro sd card. Allignment marks on skids. And DJI care card.

By comparison another new P4 I'd seen had stickers on all sensors and camera, different micro sd (Lexar) and no marks, no care card.

Bottom line is there is some inconsistency, perhaps policy change ?

Now I look forward to some better weather and a chance to fly and hopefully get some great video
2016-4-27
Use props
meetjoeasian
lvl.2

United States

Bullflyer Posted at 2016-4-27 23:31
Meetjoeasian, why did you change the first and the second P4 ?

Here's the thread:

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=48785&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D368%26typeid%3D368
2016-4-27
Use props
meetjoeasian
lvl.2

United States

Bullflyer Posted at 2016-4-27 23:38
And what's the meaning of NA ?

I assumed "North America"
2016-4-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now