Two Brand New Dead Batteries
6202 28 2016-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
greg.stringer
lvl.1

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased 2 brand new Phantom 2 Intelligent Flight Batteries directy the Dji website. Both batteries arrived today. Upon pressing the power button on either battery, I got no indication whatsoever from the LED's on the battery itself. The power button would not illuminate. I tried clicking it once, as well as holding for 5 seconds. It's almost as if the batteries arrived with absolutely 0% charge.

I ended up talking with Dji support twice today. The first tech told me that the battery was probably completely drained. Then she instructed me to let it charge for 2 hours and that the LED's would eventually come on once enough power had been restored to the battery (as it was charging). Is there any truth to this? I was under the impression that LiPo batteries should never be allowed to completely drain. The second tech did not say that my batteries were bad. But he offered to refund/replace both batteries at no cost (except for weeks of flight time and frustration) without really providing any explanation as to why.

What are the chances of this happening with 2 supposedly brand new batteries. Apparently not as minimal as I had hoped. With this being my first purchase directly from the Dji website, I have to say that I am extremely disappointed.

P.S. I am no expert with regards to Lithium-Polimer batteries. So if anyone here could provide some insight, it would be greatly appreciated.
2016-4-27
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

Hmm im not sure. There is a part in the battery manual to get them out of hibernation mode. have you tried that?
2016-4-27
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

did you try putting them on the charger for a few hours?      they do go into hibernation mode after 6-12 months.    charging them for a long while is only way to wake them up.    as i am doubting they are still making phantom 2 batteries as much or even at all anymore, alot of stock is going to be over a year old.   dji isn't going to charge up and maintain them in storage because its not practical.  

plug them in and let them sit for 2-3 hours and they should wake up.    give it a try and let us know what happened

ps.  if your worried about safety   charge them outside
2016-4-27
Use props
greg.stringer
lvl.1

quickpoint Posted at 2016-4-28 12:20
did you try putting them on the charger for a few hours?      they do go into hibernation mode after ...

Thanks @quickpoint for your response. The led on the charger is not going from green to amber as it does  when I am charging my one good battery. Correct me if I am wrong, but that would imply that it is not even making an attempt at charging the battery?

What you are saying is what the first tech told me to do. But will the indicator lights just come on once it's been on the charger for a few hours (after coming out of hibernation)?  Then proceed to continue charging as expected?
2016-4-27
Use props
greg.stringer
lvl.1

Michael M Posted at 2016-4-28 12:17
Hmm im not sure. There is a part in the battery manual to get them out of hibernation mode. have you ...

Thanks @Michael M

I would have expected any necessary instructions to be included with the two batteries I purchased. But nothing was included except some safety precautions. Do you have instructions on how to bring them out of hibernation? If so I would greatly appreciate it.
2016-4-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

greg.stringer@g Posted at 2016-4-28 14:42
Thanks @Michael M

I would have expected any necessary instructions to be included with the two ba ...

The batteries are completely discharged. When you put them on the charger, it applies a very slow trickle charge to them for a long period of time, eventually they have sufficient charge to wake up the internal processor and then they begin to fast charge as per normal. Just put them on the charger and leave them for a couple of hours.

2016-4-27
Use props
scarper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59272 ft
Australia

greg.stringer@g Posted at 2016-4-28 12:42
Thanks @Michael M

I would have expected any necessary instructions to be included with the two ba ...

Unfortunately your expectation is too high ....charge it as others have said then if it does not work send them back.
2016-4-27
Use props
Goodzilla
lvl.1

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-28 12:50
The batteries are completely discharged. When you put them on the charger, it applies a very slow  ...

Will this work even though the charger light is not changing color indicating that the charging process is taking place? Right now it's been constantly green for a few hours. Also, will the LED's start to illuminate (while batt is being charged) once the internal processor detects a sufficient charge? I totally understand what you are saying. I'm just a bit skeptical at this point. Thank you for your insight.
2016-4-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Goodzilla Posted at 2016-4-28 14:57
Will this work even though the charger light is not changing color indicating that the charging pr ...

The charging circuits are inside the battery, the 'charger' you have is actually nothing more than a simple 17.5 volt power supply. Until the trickle charge raises the battery voltage to a level where the internal processor can start, all you get is the red LED indication. Sometimes the processor kicks in and the charge process starts, other times you have to disconnect and then re-connect the battery to get it going.

2016-4-27
Use props
Goodzilla
lvl.1

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-28 13:10
The charging circuits are inside the battery, the 'charger' you have is actually nothing more than ...

So the battery regulates voltage? Not the charger. I guess that is rather "smart" in a sense. Thanks for your insight @Geebax. I will see what happens. Please wish me luck ;)
2016-4-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Goodzilla Posted at 2016-4-28 15:30
So the battery regulates voltage? Not the charger. I guess that is rather "smart" in a sense. Than ...

Yes, this is why DJI call it an Intelligent Flight Battery. Please let us know how you get on.
2016-4-27
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello Goodzilla, please try to charge the battery for 1 hour to wake it up.Feel free to post the result here.
2016-4-27
Use props
Goodzilla
lvl.1

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-4-28 14:34
Hello Goodzilla, please try to charge the battery for 1 hour to wake it up.Feel free to post the res ...

Both batteries have been charging for about 3 hours each.
2016-4-27
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

Goodzilla Posted at 2016-4-28 14:39
Both batteries have been charging for about 3 hours each.

No indicators blink when turn it on?
2016-4-27
Use props
Goodzilla
lvl.1

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2016-4-27
Use props
Goodzilla
lvl.1

What does this mean?
2016-4-27
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

The anti-spam system blocks your reply because there is a Chinese character in it.
2016-4-27
Use props
Goodzilla
lvl.1

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-4-28 14:45
No indicators blink when turn it on?

Did you read my original post? I talked about the LED's in great detail.
2016-4-27
Use props
Goodzilla
lvl.1

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-4-28 15:06
The anti-spam system blocks your reply because there is a Chinese character in it.

Sorry. I typed the chinese character for "NEW"
2016-4-27
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

Goodzilla Posted at 2016-4-28 15:10
Did you read my original post? I talked about the LED's in great detail.

Sorry I meant did the battery have any response after 1 or 2 hours charging?
2016-4-27
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

greg.stringer@g Posted at 2016-4-28 00:37
Thanks @quickpoint for your response. The led on the charger is not going from green to amber as i ...

well did you do what they told you to do?     sorry man, but your asking for help from tech support.  they tell you what to do and you post up here.   then we tell you the same exact thing and your still questioning it.  

can you please just hook it up and let it sit for a couple hours?  

2016-4-28
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-28 00:50
The batteries are completely discharged. When you put them on the charger, it applies a very slow  ...

we really need a place to bang our heads.   

don't you have when people change their names half way thru their first post?
2016-4-28
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

greg.stringer@g Posted at 2016-4-28 12:42
Thanks @Michael M

I can't remember, it should be in the safety manual. Read through it, you will find it.
2016-4-28
Use props
Goodzilla
lvl.1

quickpoint Posted at 2016-4-28 21:50
well did you do what they told you to do?     sorry man, but your asking for help from tech suppor ...

Of course I did what the first tech told me to do. If you read my response to Paladin you would have seen that. What I was asking for clarification on was whether or not there is any indication that something is happening while trickle charging.
2016-4-28
Use props
Goodzilla
lvl.1

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-4-28 15:53
Sorry I meant did the battery have any response after 1 or 2 hours charging?

Unfortunately no response from either battery.
2016-4-28
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

Goodzilla Posted at 2016-4-29 00:48
Unfortunately no response from either battery.

Sorry to hear that. Please contact our tech support again for your battery issue.
2016-4-28
Use props
Goodzilla
lvl.1

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-4-29 09:24
Sorry to hear that. Please contact our tech support again for your battery issue.

Thank you @Paladin
2016-4-29
Use props
davidbruce48
New

United States

Have you tried to start the battery? Push once then push again and hold for 3 to 5 seconds. I just bought a new battery and I had to push the button to get it started. I plugged it in and nothing. I pushed the button and it started. I just pushed it once though. Try playing with the start button, different combinations. I haven't heard of the Hibernation thing until I read some of the other post, but it makes sense. Hope this helps. If not send it back to DJI.
2016-4-30
Use props
fmimages
lvl.2
Flight distance : 100174 ft
United States

I had the same issue with one battery. I contacted DJI and sent it to them for a look. They mailed it back but unfortunately I wasn't at the address shipped for three months. I took a look and tried to charge it but no lights would come on and since it had been quite a while before I opened the packageI knew any warranty would be gone. I just came across this forum but unfortunately I recycled the battery. After reading this forum it appears getting another battery as they don't make it anymore is difficult. My original battery works just fine but if I want to get a spare I'll have to look into aftermarket batteries and I've read there are problems with them too. So what is the conclusion of getting batteries out of hibernation? I haven't read yet that the technique works.

2016-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules