Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
All osmo lose footage!!!!! Useless
5611 65 2016-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TokyoStreetView
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1211378 ft
  • >>>
Japan

So, once again DJI Screwed-up... Any update on this situation since my new OSMO as the same problem (loosing frame between 9 minutes long shots...)?
2016-12-11
Use props
Rodger Marjama
lvl.4
United States

Most of my footage will be shot for outdoor reality/documentary/travel.  I have run into this issue right from the start, but for me, I can usually resolve this issue when cutting.  I have lost a couple of the best cuts because of this issue however, so I really think it needs to be fixed as it will no doubt pose problems for all of us no matter what we shoot.  Actually, it is a wonder to me how these things are even here for us to complain about.  Considering we all have bought this camera for a purpose, which is shooting footage to be use in some way.  And none of us were told, "Oh, by the way, you will be losing some footage when this camera needs to start another file during continuous filming running longer than 4GB file sizes".  This would be like buying a new car that stops moving wherever it is, whatever it's busy doing, every 4,000 miles for a few minutes while it considers its next piece of travel.

-Rodger
2016-12-11
Use props
AndyUK
lvl.1

Spain

Does this limitation also affect the Pro and Raw models?
2016-12-11
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

TokyoStreetView Posted at 2016-12-11 18:17
So, once again DJI Screwed-up... Any update on this situation since my new OSMO as the same problem (loosing frame between 9 minutes long shots...)?

No, the issue is expected. Some frames will be lost after the video file reaches 4GB and another one is generated.
2016-12-11
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

AndyUK Posted at 2016-12-12 04:42
Does this limitation also affect the Pro and Raw models?

It does. .
2016-12-11
Use props
TokyoStreetView
lvl.3
  • >>>
Japan

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-12-12 16:09
No, the issue is expected. Some frames will be lost after the video file reaches 4GB and another one is generated.

Wait, what? Expected from whom? Coz not sure if you are aware of it but you guys are the ONLY one with this problem!!!

Saying that the DJI Osmo is capable to record 30 Minutes is straight false advertisement! The OSMO CANNOT record 30 Minutes, only 9 minutes at a time!
2016-12-12
Use props
Skint
lvl.1
New Zealand

I would assume that because the Osmo is designed to be compatible with fat32 SDHC cards that it will cap the files at 4GB even if you are using a exFat formatted card.
2016-12-12
Use props
TokyoStreetView
lvl.3
  • >>>
Japan

Skint Posted at 2016-12-12 20:07
I would assume that because the Osmo is designed to be compatible with fat32 SDHC cards that it will cap the files at 4GB even if you are using a exFat formatted card.

Almost every makers as this limitation. my GH4 has it, my GoPro has it too... still NO FREAKING FRAMES are lost between clips!
2016-12-12
Use props
J30j1xlsvP5G
New

Hong Kong

now,  my osmo+ same problem,  over half year still selling problem camera,  i cant believed...
2017-2-7
Use props
OSMOPETE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 35118 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-12-11 23:09

I have to agree with Thor here because anyone that has used any AVCHD camcorder will know once you hit the 4GB file size the camera starts a new file. If you were to drop the raw MTS files onto your NLE timeline you would find you loose a couple of frames of audio. However the major camera manufacturers give you an import utility that joins up these files so that there is no frame loss. Perhaps DJI engineers need to write their own software utility that would perform this task.

I think at the end of the day if you are a professional video producer you really ought to be using a proper camcorder to record lengthy interviews, I really don't think the OSMO is designed for that kind of work regardless of what their marketing blurb says about hour-long recording times. I have an OSMO x3 & OSMO mobile with GoPro attachment and find they're great for tracking shots, quick on-the-go interviews and anything requiring cinematic movement, however I don't understand why people would use an OSMO with it's limited ergonomics to replace a proper camcorder, especially given the OSMO's low battery life.

Just my 2c
2017-2-7
Use props
skpManiac
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1092589 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I just came to DJI page to BUY an Osmo, been thinking about it for a few weeks now but I fell on this thread by accident (sent via Google)

I will not be buying one after reading this, its useless!
The Osmo used the same system as my Inspire and that never lost footage between files so why does the Osmo?

There are now plenty of competitive products coming on to the market, and on Kickstarter so no need to stick with DJI if this is the best they can do with the Osmo
Very disappointing!

Is this likely to be fixed in a future FW ??
2017-2-7
Use props
LenMiddx
Second Officer
United Kingdom

skpManiac Posted at 2017-2-7 14:30
I just came to DJI page to BUY an Osmo, been thinking about it for a few weeks now but I fell on this thread by accident (sent via Google)

I will not be buying one after reading this, its useless!

"...Is this likely to be fixed in a future FW ??..."

If it could, my guess is that it would have been fixed by now. Clearly it's not.

For most people, it's just an inconvenience (9 minutes for a clip is quite a long time).

"... its useless! ..."

You're not going to get anything like the performance for that kind of money elsewhere.

Still, if more than 9 minutes per clip is what you need, then clearly this is not the camera for you.
2017-2-8
Use props
Alastair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 96631 ft
United States

LenMiddx Posted at 2017-2-8 02:54
"...Is this likely to be fixed in a future FW ??..."

If it could, my guess is that it would have been fixed by now. Clearly it's not.

Anyone try the Inspire x3 on their OSMO?  I wonder if the 9 minute limit is the same for it.  Although I can't recall anyone bringing this up, as an issue.
2017-2-8
Use props
Vertical.Creati
lvl.4
United States

Alastair Posted at 2017-2-8 07:13
Anyone try the Inspire x3 on their OSMO?  I wonder if the 9 minute limit is the same for it.  Although I can't recall anyone bringing this up, as an issue.

This "issue" is rarely an issue for most users as how many of us actually keep rolling footage on our OSMO's or drones for longer than 9 min?  Typically i'm setting up a shot, hitting record and stop between multiple takes.  I understand that shooting documentary footage is different, but I don't think the OSMO was ever marketed to that audience.

even one of the most epic  "long shots" in film was less than 6:30
2017-2-8
Use props
skpManiac
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I want it for a Photography blog, so 9 minutes is simply not enough, that said if 1080p gives 20 minutes that would suffice  
2017-2-8
Use props
Vertical.Creati
lvl.4
United States

skpManiac Posted at 2017-2-8 13:33
I want it for a Photography blog, so 9 minutes is simply not enough, that said if 1080p gives 20 minutes that would suffice

do you honestly think you are going to talk for 9min, with out cutting to another take?  If it's for a photography blog, why not save some $$ and pick up a rhode video mic and use one of your DSLR's for the blog video?
2017-2-8
Use props
skpManiac
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes I do, and I use the DSLR already but when I am travelling around Europe and Asia I want to be able to do more than the DSLR does - Actually thinking of getting the Osmo Mobile instead as that looks like it does all I need and my S7 Edge will compliment it nicely ;)
2017-2-9
Use props
superalright
New
Flight distance : 157779 ft
United States

Adela are you still out there.  I am late to this post but I just got home after a long shoot only to realize my clips are not continuous so I have to fill in the gaps with backup audio and video clips from other cameras.  Please advise if there is any update to this.  Thank you as its just killed me today.  My client is furious and I am still up at 3 in the am syncing all the footage.  Luckily I had one camera locked up that shot continues but it was not a DJI project.  IS this just something I should forget about?
2017-8-1
Use props
Seppia
lvl.1
France

Well, after upgrading to the latest firmware (OSMO_FW_V99.99.99.99.bin) I can report that NONE of the aforementioned downsides are solved.
- Osmo still stops recording after 28 minutes or so
- still cuts clips after 13 minutes or so
- still leaves a random gap between clips
- still have audio that "slides" (audio can be more than one second later than video).
Is anyone at Dji actually working on any of those issues ?
2017-11-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Seppia Posted at 2017-11-3 00:17
Well, after upgrading to the latest firmware (OSMO_FW_V99.99.99.99.bin) I can report that NONE of the aforementioned downsides are solved.

The latest version is v1.11.2.70. Some of your questions are not problem but normal operating rules.
In order to protect the stability of the camera, the video will be limited within 30min.

I guess you mean 4G clips. If the video is larger than 4G, the camera stops recording and start a new one.

Would you please upload several clips about the gap for further analysis?

- still have audio that "slides" (audio can be more than one second later than video).
Do you use internal mic or external mic? Does the problem happen in every Osmo?

Thanks for your input.
2017-11-3
Use props
LenMiddx
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Would you please upload several clips about the gap for further analysis?

There's no need, Mindy, as your design engineers have known about this for years (even before it was launched as a product, I would suggest).

It's been reported on fairly continuously for the two years that it's been available.

I've given up on you ever fixing this problem.
2017-11-4
Use props
Seppia
lvl.1
France

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-3 01:01
The latest version is v1.11.2.70. Some of your questions are not problem but normal operating rules.
In order to protect the stability of the camera, the video will be limited within 30min.

Sorry about the wrong firmware number, I can confirm that the version I just installed is the latest (1.11.2.70), I've been double-checking in the Osmo "about" in the mobile app after update. So yes,I am reporting the following issues regarding this last firmware version.

1/ About the 4 GB clip, I understand that's an old requirements on SD cards in FAT32. What I do not understand is why it still happens when the card is formatted in ExFAT inside the Osmo. The camera has the internal ability to format SD cards in ExFAT, but doesn't have the ability to record file of more than 4,2 GB ? Can't it be fixed by a firmware update ?
And please don't pretend that it's a implemented behavior in order to prevent the corruption of a longer clip. In any case the Osmo won't record for more than 30 minutes, so the long clip corruption issue is taken care of, sadly...
Besides, that hypothesis is even worse : if you're a manufacturer who's so afraid that your camera will produce corrupted clip while recording that you have to artificially make it create a new one every 4 GB minutes, well, you just don't sell your product before fixing this issue !

About the gap between clips : I took the time to do a bit of "scientific" experiment, filming with the Osmo (in 1080p50, the usual setting I use) a computer screen playing in loop a 5 seconds sequence with a bars and tone of 1 frame every second. Then I retrieved the 3 MP4 files, put them in an editing software timeline, and proceeded to calculate the gap between clips.
I found a hole of 71 frames, so that's around 1,5 second (at 50 fps) missing between the clips.
I'd be happy to share the footage (it is absolutely crappy, out of focus and extremely uninteresting to watch and unpleasant to hear ;-)), but frankly instead of me uploading and you downloading the 8.8 GB of my almost-half-hour, anyone with an Osmo can try it : film a clock (or a watch, or a computer clock displaying the seconds, and more precise if available) for 30 minutes, then compare the last frame of the first clip, and the first frame of the second clip : Tempus Fugit !

If you really want my raw footage, just let me know of an FTP server where I can upload it, or another way to send 8.83 GB.

About the audio shifting issue : I haven't had it this time with this camera (and this new firmware version), so there's the hope that this firmware version solved it. I still have previous footage shot with another Osmo (and an older firmware version) where the assistant director claps in front of the Osmo, and the audio has a good 1 second delay.
So after upgrading all of my Osmos, I'll check it on the next shooting to see if this issue occurs again.
2017-11-7
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Any fix to this yet?
2017-11-12
Use props
Seppia
lvl.1
France

Any answer? At all? From anyone?
Am I the only one having this issue?
Am I the only one able to shoot a clock for 28 minutes and then mesure the lost time between clips?
Am I the only one using Osmos to record clips for more than 13 minutes, and bothered by this gap?
Once in a while, it would be nice for customers to have a feeling that there is an actual technical support that actually cares about customers feedback...
2017-11-26
Use props
LenMiddx
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Seppia Posted at 2017-11-26 12:56
Any answer? At all? From anyone?
Am I the only one having this issue?
Am I the only one able to shoot a clock for 28 minutes and then mesure the lost time between clips?

The problem (clip length) has been there ever since the Osmo was launched.
That was over 2 years ago.
If it was fixable, it would have been fixed by now -- but it hasn't, so I assume it's not.
Don't hold your breath for this one.
2017-11-29
Use props
Seppia
lvl.1
France

Just in case anyone wonders: yes, the Osmos + (plus) and the Osmo Pro have the same "behavior"...
2017-12-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules