Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI GO app bug: map compass always 90° offset on tablets
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vr-pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4668169 ft

Picking up this often reported problem I really want DJI to answer  this question or at least react on it, because I can nowhere find a  solutiuon but the problem persists (even now in DJI GO v2.8.0) for many  users:
Partial quote of my post from another thread (http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 0777&fromuid=127639):

On my Samsung S7 phone everything works fine:  in the "unlocked map view  mode" the heading of the radar drone symbol, the red drone on the map  and the orientation of the phone mounted to the RC are corresponding.
BUT: with my Sony Xperia Z4 tablet there is  a 90 degrees orientation  mismatch between the drone heading and the tablet's orientation.
This fault indeed seems to be related to the misinterpretation of  landscape (Android tablet) and portrait (Android phone) display mode by  the DJI pilot app. The result: the Google map itself (including the red  arrow drone symbols) is always turned by 90 degrees to the left (counter  clockwise) when using an Android tablet.
I notice that the DJI pilot app on my Samsung S7 starts in a fixed  portrait mode (aircraft selection page) and than switches (by rotating  right=clockwise) into the actual aircraft view via fixed/forced  landscape mode automatically.
Is it possible that a suppressed clockwise display rotation on Android  tablets leads to the map view being completely locked in a "virtual"  portrait mode? (=left side of display is actually treated as the upper  display side?)
I really searched many threads for an answer: most stop without a  solution or they say that an iPad might be the only help. But in this  thread (http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 0668&fromuid=127639) even an iPad mini2 shows this malfunction...
Is there a solution for tablets?
2016-4-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

'Picking up this often reported problem... '

Really, first time I have ever heard of it. But you don't want any of us to help, so I will leave and you can wait for the response from DJI that may never come.

2016-4-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Where was it reported, and by whom?
First inclination I received was the same, just now... ;-)
I must have missed those threads...?

RedHotPoker
2016-4-28
Use props
gtokarsk
Captain
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

then why don't you post it on the support forum? That is where the DJI techs really suppose to be concentrating.
GT
2016-4-28
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello vr-pilot, did you try to calibrate the compass on your sony tablet? Besides, does the map compass work well on other android tablets of yours?
2016-4-29
Use props
Murilo Carmello
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1562549 ft
Israel

Same problem to me, I have a Samsung Tab S and the DJI Go don´t understand the  portrait or landscape, always 90° wrong
If I put my tablet in portrait , everything is fine
I have already calibrated, but the problem continues

As I use the radar only to direct the antenna, I learned to interpret the radar with this inclination of 90 °
But if someone have a solution, this would help so much 
2016-4-29
Use props
johnsr
Captain
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

The 90° radar icon shift is usually a sign that the tablet's compass is not correctly calibrated, as Paladin said. Try using some simple compass App and see if North is where you think it is. If it is not, most compass App's explain the "tablet dance" you'll need to perform to get it right.
Have fun & good flying!
2016-4-30
Use props
vr-pilot
Second Officer

O.k. I will report it to DJI tech support then.
There are quite a lot of threads about this problem, I mentioned just two of them.
And yes, the Sony Xperia Z4 compass is calibrated by many tools and codes available and works fine with other apps like e.g. Google Maps.
Thanks for your help!
2016-4-30
Use props
vr-pilot
Second Officer

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-4-29 17:36
Hello vr-pilot, did you try to calibrate the compass on your sony tablet? Besides, does the map comp ...

As you can read in the post by Murilo Carmello: also Samsung tabs have this problem.
What I notice reading the replies is that everyone is complaining about 90° shifts. So there are no e.g. 30°or 67° errors. This makes a portrait/landscape switch mode "error" on tablets (for certain reasons) very plausible IMO.
Thanks for help!
E D I T E D (several times) :
What just comes into my mind: the calibrated compass orientation on my Sony Xperia Z4 tablet switches corresponding to the selected landscape or portrait mode.
The DJI GO app (starting on phones in portrait mode) starts even on my "portrait mode set" tablet nevertheless in landscape mode, but seems to be keeping the portrait orientation. That makes the actual map oriantation being rotated to the left display side ("top").
This happens regardless of the tablet being set to portrait, landscape or adaptive mode. (Even in "upside down" portrait or landscape mode...)
(I just set the portrait orientation on my Sony tablet to the right display side ("buttom"). Other apps like "GPS status" or "Google Maps" adopt/correspond to the right display side portrait orientation. But the DJI GO app seems to force the portrait orientation to the left display side, although it has switched itself to a fixed landscape mode on startup... Maybe this is a good hint?)

2016-4-30
Use props
vr-pilot
Second Officer

Just to give an update on this subject:
Today I bought the relatively new Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 T719 and: the map rotation (compass orientation) works flawlessly no matter which display mode (portrait or landscape, fixed or free) is chosen. It just works as it should.
So I can recommend this Tab for everyone who wants to use an Android Device at about the size of an iPad Air mini.
I am really happy that the orientation of the map and of the "radar drone symbol" now work correctly...
2016-8-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules