Supported "android devices"... (official response)
12Next >
21499 69 2015-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Embelish
lvl.2

United States

My QUESTION:
I cannot find info regarding supported Android tablets for the Inspire 1. My device is arriving shortly and I would like to buy an appropriate tablet. Also is it true that only the IOS and not Android supports the flight simulator within the app?
Thanks,
Zac

DJI's ANSWER:
Dear Zac,
Here is a list of currently supported Android devices
Samsung S4, S5, Note 3, P900 tablet, Sony Z3 EXPERIA, Google Nexus 7 II, Mi 3, Nubia Z7 mini
*Support for additional Android devices available as testing and development continues
Android does not currently include the flight simulator at this time, but will be updated to include it in the near future.

DJI Pro Support
DJI Technology, LLC
6424 Santa Monica Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90038

What are other Android people experiencing out there? I hear frame rates are less on android than apple.. just can't bring myself to buy and apple product tho..
2015-1-16
Use props
JerryMutter
lvl.2

United States

I realize my Samsung galaxy tab s 8.4 is not on the list yet but I can find no problems it works great and I like the size because it fits perfectly in the case where the owners manual was
2015-1-16
Use props
AVNes
lvl.3

United States

Using Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, 7". No issues.
2015-1-16
Use props
GlenBC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 168438 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have 2 Samsung Galaxy Tab 4's (white 8"). So far they seem to work fine.
You just have to figure out how to put the tablet into "developer mode" to enable USB debugging.
Otherwise the USB won't link properly. After doing so mine work fine.
2015-1-16
Use props
travissrt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18326348 ft
  • >>>
United States

How is the video feed on the galaxy tabs? Smooth or jerky?
2015-1-17
Use props
AVNes
lvl.3

United States

travissrt@gmail Posted at 2015-1-17 17:41
How is the video feed on the galaxy tabs? Smooth or jerky?

Smooth. I can't speak for the iPads... But it's just as smooth as when I was running my iPad mini on my PH2 with Lightbridge.
2015-1-17
Use props
scottdepace
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I need to buy an android tablet for my Inspire. I'm thinking of getting the Galaxy Tab S 8.4 without a cellular connection. I have heard that you can download the maps over Wifi before heading to your flying location. Is that true and are there any other disadvantages to this tablet without a cellular connection? I also have an HTC ONE cell phone that I guess I could tether for a data connection.

Thanks
2015-1-17
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I haven't been able to locate an option to cache map in background on the Android app. I'm not sure if it even is there, because I can't find it in any menu. It's there in the iOS version, plain as day
2015-1-17
Use props
rwt0227
lvl.2

United States

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5"
Technically it's "too large" for the remote holder, but not really. I insert it top side first, then shove the bottom section of my tablet upwards and in. It rubbed the foam padding down on the bottom of the remote holder, but who cares? It's in there nice and snug. In fact I wound up using a razor blade and just cut the bottom foam pads off of the remote tablet holder. It fits tight still, but now it's much easier to get in/out - plus, the 10.5" screen is AWESOME with the Inspire. Video is smooth as butter too.

If you don't want to bother with the 10.5", the 8" Tab S runs it great too.
2015-1-17
Use props
pidetectives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

Iam using the Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 and feed is amazing even though I have the bird grounded until all the hiccups are corrected.
2015-1-17
Use props
rsghowellnj.gma
lvl.4
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Okay I hate to admit this but if Apple does not come through I may have to purchase an Android Tablet (no offense meant by this).  Based on what I'm reading here in this forum, I'm seeing that the Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 is compatible.  Is it 100% compatible with the DJI Android App?  I've been looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab® S 8.4" 16GB.  Is 16GB and adequate size for this application?  Do I have to have a cellular connection to fly the Inspire 1 or can I go with just the WiFi version of the Galaxy?  I already have a cell phone that I could use for tethering to download maps on location but wanted to know whether I would need a constant cell connection?  Thanks in advance folks.
2015-2-8
Use props
dundee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

rsghowellnj.gma Posted at 2015-2-8 20:12
Okay I hate to admit this but if Apple does not come through I may have to purchase an Android Table ...

Nope, no need for internet.
You can cache the maps where you fly in the app. (see General Settings, top right star on the app)
2015-2-8
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

Okay I hate to admit this but if Apple does not come through I may have to purchase an Android Tablet (no offense meant by this).
This sounds just like a Ford vs Holden Kindergarten fight over which badge is best.
Ford/Holden just cars in the end both produce lemons...Apple/Android same both produce some good hardware and some lemons. It's not hard too spot who's got hold of who's balls here
2015-2-8
Use props
Trevor
lvl.1
Flight distance : 912 ft
United Kingdom

Captain Obvious Posted at 2015-2-8 20:34
This sounds just like a Ford vs Holden Kindergarten fight over which badge is best.
Ford/Holden jus ...

Hi All
I use the Samsung galaxy tab pro 10.1 Fits the clamp perfectly but you need to open up the slot for the mini usb plug. Also I added an angled plug with a 1 foot cable from amazon makes the cable layout much tidier.
2015-2-8
Use props
pauldean85.goog
lvl.3

United Kingdom

My Sony Xperia Z2 runs the app just fine - video streaming isn't perfectly smooth but it is certainly very usable.

Word of warning though - it *barely* fits in the device holder. I have to force it past the foam at maximum extension.
2015-2-8
Use props
rsghowellnj.gma
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Can anyone comment if 16gb is enough space on the Samsung Galaxy Tab® S 8.4" 16GB to run the DJI Pilot app and if there is any lag or delay with this device?
2015-2-8
Use props
Funnone
lvl.3
United States

since DJI was not supporting iPad anymore (always been an Apple fanboy) so I decided to look at Androids and I bought the Sony Xperia Z3 tablet and I'm pleased to say I'm very happy with it. I've also tried the Samsung Galaxy S tab 8.4 and the Nexus 9 and the Nvidia shield.but I was most happy with the Sony Z3 tablet.
2015-2-8
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

JerryMutter Posted at 2015-1-17 10:49
I realize my Samsung galaxy tab s 8.4 is not on the list yet but I can find no problems it works gre ...

I'm getting serious video lag on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, even with all other apps closed. Are you encountering any sort of video lag?
2015-2-8
Use props
rsghowellnj.gma
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ugh ... this is getting very frustrating.  I really appreciate the feed back on the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Nexus 9 and the Nvidia shield and the Sony Xperia Z3 tablet.  Unfortunately I'm not able to get the Sony Xperia Z3 tablet locally (i.e., Best Buy) because it would be a special order.  Hearing that there are video lag on the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 is quite disappointing.

Let me ask you folks this .... is it possible to use my iPAD 2 Mini for the slave controller (being that it is not controlling the camera flight) and then use the Samsung Galaxy S tab 8.4 for master controller (being that it would be used to fly the inspire 1)?  Or do you think the video impact would be a problem on the master controller (for flight controls)?
2015-2-8
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

Canada

I picked up a pair of Nexus 7's for my dual controller system. As long as its got Android V4.1.2 or higher your golden.  Neighbor has a Nexus Version 1 with the android update and Kitkat processor and it works great. You can get them cheap on Ebay. His was a factory refurb with warranty and all components for $115
2015-2-8
Use props
rsghowellnj.gma
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

What make things even worse about the SONY XPERIA Z3 TABLET COMPACT 16GB SGP611GB 8.0" INCH WI-FI TABLET is that according to Amazon this is an "International Version No Warranty".  So now I'm back to square one.  Is the ONLY Android tablet that will work without any "video delay" the SONY XPERIA Z3 TABLET COMPACT 16GB SGP611GB 8.0" INCH WI-FI TABLET or has anyone had any success with any other Android Tablets that exhibit no video lag?
2015-2-8
Use props
rsghowellnj.gma
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

AVNes Posted at 2015-1-17 17:44
Smooth. I can't speak for the iPads... But it's just as smooth as when I was running my iPad mini  ...

JerryMutter .... please confirm that you are not seeing any video lag with your Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4.  I ordered my Inspire 1 today and I'm hearing rumors from other users on this blog that they are seeing video lag.  I would really appreciate your response.
2015-2-8
Use props
Nes
lvl.3

United States

rsghowellnj.gma Posted at 2015-2-9 04:51
JerryMutter .... please confirm that you are not seeing any video lag with your Samsung Galaxy Tab ...

I am running Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 and 8.0, not the Tab S.
2015-2-8
Use props
rsghowellnj.gma
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Nes Posted at 2015-2-9 13:51
I am running Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 and 8.0, not the Tab S.

Thank you for your response
2015-2-9
Use props
capalvch.gmail
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71125 ft
Venezuela

Question.
It is possible to use the IOS app in one control and an androd app in the slave or viseversa?
2015-2-9
Use props
rsghowellnj.gma
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

capalvch.gmail Posted at 2015-2-9 23:53
Question.
It is possible to use the IOS app in one control and an androd app in the slave or visever ...

Perfect ... thank you for the confirmation
2015-2-9
Use props
Funnone
lvl.3
United States

rsghowellnj.gma Posted at 2015-2-9 04:48
What make things even worse about the SONY XPERIA Z3 TABLET COMPACT 16GB SGP611GB 8.0" INCH WI-FI TA ...

Bought mine here http://t.store.sony.com/products/27-SGP612~W
2015-2-9
Use props
steph
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29587 ft
France

Hi everybody .
I look for information . I must bought an  ipad or an android
I would like to know if  there is a difference between the  2 OS ?
Dji pilot difference between the 2 OS , same function ?

Thanks
2015-2-9
Use props
rsghowellnj.gma
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I can tell you that the painting of the maps on the IOS Device (iPAD or iPhone) is smoother then the Android Device.  I'm comparing an iPAD Mini Retina Display (A7 Processor) and the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4.  I'm being critical and some people would say over critical but by far the iPAD does perform better.  Functionality wise I think the software may behave the same way.  The only thing is the software that runs on the IOS Device is not supported yet by DJI (beta because it is waiting on Apple Approval) where the software that runs on the Android Device is fully supported by DJI.
2015-2-9
Use props
chrisgeigerphot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13046529 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have both the Samsung Pro 8.4 and the Nvidia Shield. The Pro 8.4 does have bit lag but it works good. The Shield is much smoother and has a nice built in video recorder, you can record the tablet screen while you fly.

Here are videos of each....

2015-2-9
Use props
Renaat
lvl.3

Japan

Nvidia Shield is the best to replace iPad !
2015-2-9
Use props
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

Hong Kong

I have a Sony C3 works smoothly.
2015-2-9
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
Flight distance : 729560 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I bought a galaxy tab s 8.4 and sent it back. It has a great screen but I found that there was too much lag in the video feed. I then bought a nexus 9 and had the same problem. I now have a NVIDIA SHIELD and it works superbly. There is very little lag and the feed is very smooth. The only criticism is that the screen could be a little brighter. I have the 32Gb version but that is just for storage. It also has an HDMI out port so you can run hdmi goggles from it and see the full app rather than just OSD information if you run the goggles from the transmitter.   
2015-2-10
Use props
rsghowellnj.gma
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Dave E Posted at 2015-2-10 16:12
I bought a galaxy tab s 8.4 and sent it back. It has a great screen but I found that there was too m ...

Is the 16GB NVIDIA Shield Adequate or must I use the 32GB.  I didn't think they made a 32GB WIFI without having to get a cellular.  I'm also a little concerned about your comments on brightness.  This is going to be used outdoors.  Ugh.
2015-2-10
Use props
Embelish
lvl.2

United States

chrisgeigerphot Posted at 2015-2-10 13:53
I have both the Samsung Pro 8.4 and the Nvidia Shield. The Pro 8.4 does have bit lag but it works go ...

Hi Chris (I started this thread). I enjoyed your vids using the nvidia and samsung, but I have one BIG question. How did you convert from 'meters' to 'feet'?! The samsung is using meters when displaying height and distance, whereas the nvidia is using feet. I would love to convert to feet. Any help here would be appreciated!
2015-2-10
Use props
rsghowellnj.gma
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Embelish Posted at 2015-2-11 01:55
Hi Chris (I started this thread). I enjoyed your vids using the nvidia and samsung, but I have one  ...

You should be able to change that in the DJI Pilot Settings.
2015-2-10
Use props
jak00
lvl.2
Flight distance : 93907 ft
United States

Embelish Posted at 2015-2-11 01:55
Hi Chris (I started this thread). I enjoyed your vids using the nvidia and samsung, but I have one  ...

I don't think he changed yet for that device. When you use another device you have to load the app. again and then make your changes
2015-2-10
Use props
rsghowellnj.gma
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

jak00 Posted at 2015-2-11 02:48
I don't think he changed yet for that device. When you use another device you have to load the app ...

Okay ... I thought it was set on each app in the settings on each device.  My bad.
2015-2-10
Use props
jak00
lvl.2
Flight distance : 93907 ft
United States

rsghowellnj.gma Posted at 2015-2-11 03:11
Okay ... I thought it was set on each app in the settings on each device.  My bad.

Have you decided on a Android device yet rsghowellnj.gma ?
2015-2-10
Use props
chrisgeigerphot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13046529 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, I switched it in the app from meters to feet. I wish that the USA would get off it's ass and get on the metric system. We are like the only country till holding on to the old way of measuring everything.
2015-2-10
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules