I need some help
2102 15 2016-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

My phantom has small stress cracks and motor grinding that was going on for a while but has now stopped.(My guess dirt) but I am debating whether to send it in or not. DJI has stopped paying for shipping for RMA's, meaning, if I send in my Phantom with shipping insurance, it will be 81$!!! Roughly 2.5 pounds. I honestly don't know what to do, the crack does not look bad and its not under the motor so I don't think it is causing any issues. But my warranty is expiring in 2 months. So here is my dilemma.

My P3A fell out of the sky 2 days after I bought it. My dealer took it (drones plus) and instead of giving me a new one they took my phantom 3 camera which was working and replaced the drone with a used phantom 3 pro and stuck on my camera. Of course, I got a new serial number and everything. Will warranty cover this? I called and asked dji but the guy on the phone could not tell me. He said it was up to the warranty service. I don't want to send it in, then DJI hold my drone hostage until I pay repair fees.

Tell me, what do you think I should to?

2016-4-29
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Canada

I am already having an RMA with my remote because the home button broke inside.
2016-4-29
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Canada

No one has an idea? I find on this forum as soon as you ask a question a little more complicated than, help my compass won't calibrate, nobody answers.
2016-4-29
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for the crack, Michael. I'd suggest you to send the drone to our service center for repairing. And here is our after-sales policy: http://www.dji.com/service
2016-4-29
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

If it were me, I'd hang on to it, but I have very little patience, especially where unhelpful or poor customer service  is concerned, which has been my experience.

Assuming you send it in, by the time you get it back, how much warranty will you have left?  Not much I reckon, so how much will you lose by firstly, living with it (I've never heard of a P3 falling apart...yet) & secondly, fixing it yourself?
2016-4-30
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-4-30 06:32
If it were me, I'd hang on to it, but I have very little patience, especially where unhelpful or poo ...

I can only speak from a US viewpoint.
My customer service experience was great and a lot faster then I thought it would be. .....and this was less then 3 weeks ago.
I wouldn't take a chance.  
Also my understanding is they will not hold your P3 hostage.  If you choose not to have the repairs done they will send it back to you un-repaired.....that's what I was told.

Again, I'm in the US.......my P3 went to California from Indiana......I am not clear on were you would send it, so you may have a different situation.

Good luck!
2016-4-30
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Tmygun Posted at 2016-4-30 12:30
I can only speak from a US viewpoint.
My customer service experience was great and a lot faster th ...

The difference is, you didn't have to pay to send your P3.  The OP does, as did I if I wanted anything looking at.  For me, it would be £72 ($116), which is non-refundable, for the OP, it's $81.
2016-4-30
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

Sending it in should always be a last resort.
2016-4-30
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Canada

Well I guess glue it is! Thanks for all the suggestions
2016-4-30
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Canada

Can anyone recommend any safe glue? Is epoxy okay?
2016-4-30
Use props
taylordavid
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115328 ft
Canada

Michael M Posted at 2016-4-30 11:28

What about Bondic liquid plastic welder. Cures with uv
2016-5-2
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Canada

taylordavid Posted at 2016-5-2 21:53
What about Bondic liquid plastic welder. Cures with uv

Have you tried it?
2016-5-2
Use props
taylordavid
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115328 ft
Canada

No I can't say I have
2016-5-2
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

Michael M Posted at 2016-4-30 11:28

LocTite plastic epoxy...and yes, I have used it on my P3s with success beyond what was reasonably expected. But honestly, If I were you, I would just buy a set of quick connect prop guards and use the base as a reinforcement, since the screws have to go thru the mount to the motors, it makes an excellent reinforcement product.
2016-5-2
Use props
astrostar
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Michael M Posted at 2016-4-30 16:28

Have you tried  Plast Aid. I believe another member has used it to good effect.
2016-5-2
Use props
WetDog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1131886 ft
United States

Plast Aid is better than Bondic - much stronger.  Just nasty stuff - you need excellent ventilation unless you are into huffing hydrocarbons.  But the braces also seem to work well.

As far as warranty, it would depend on your dealer's status - If it was an approved dealer, then at least the dealer should be on the hook for the warranty period if not DJI (likely depends on the country).  Have you talked to them about replacing the shell?  It's a pretty common operation and I am sure they could do it.
2016-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules