Battery charging overnight?
19250 18 2016-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wes
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1338891 ft
United States

Just wondering if leaving batteries on factory charger overnight is ok. I've heard that it can be bad.
2016-5-1
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can be bad but I have done it many times.

I would advise getting one of them Lipo bags to be on the safe side if its something you want to do often.
2016-5-1
Use props
petevandra
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6939 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Done it many times too without axny problems. Recommendation is not to leave them though. Haven't heard of anyone who has had one fail during charging.
2016-5-1
Use props
phantom-four.co
lvl.2

Netherlands

Somebody recently posted pics on facebook of the aftermath of a fire that started while his batteries were charging overnight. Chances of that are very small but even so I too recommend a lipo bag (I always use them for charging). If you want to be extra safe, there are some people who only charge their batteries in a lipo bag inside an ammo case.
2016-5-1
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I do it all the time, just don't do it near a pile of oily rags so to speak. I put batteries on a dinner plate while there charging so it something happens there not touching anything flammable.
2016-5-1
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Wes,

As many have noted, although the likelihood of an event is minimal, it only takes one time to possibly burn down your home. I "choose" to only charge my batteries will I'm available and within close proximity. You just never know. I  usually am up before dawn and if I'm going to be flying I can have 3 completely charged batteries in about an hour (I try to land with my batteries around 30%). I use this rapid charger, which charges 3 batteries at the same time. Why take the risk if you don't have to?

Jerry

Rapid Charger
2016-5-1
Use props
phantom-four.co
lvl.2

Netherlands

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-5-1 13:19
I do it all the time, just don't do it near a pile of oily rags so to speak. I put batteries on a di ...

Not sure if that'll be enough. The post is in groups like this one but here is an extract:"I wish this to serve as a reminder of just how dangerous these mini fire bombs actually are.
I have no doubt whatsoever that I would have been trying to escape a fully engulfed house of flames last night but for the fact that the fire broke out near my hot water heater. The heat was so intense it melted one of the water lines feeding into the heater."

2016-5-1
Use props
Frank Lucas
New

United States

I don't think it's okay. Not only for battery, but also for safety.
2016-5-1
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Perhaps you should place your cell phone in a lipo bag too they are after all same chemistry no?
2016-5-1
Use props
wes
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1338891 ft
United States

Thanks guys. I'll refrain from charging overnight.
2016-5-1
Use props
pi-inthesky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13058 ft

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-5-1 19:19
I do it all the time, just don't do it near a pile of oily rags so to speak. I put batteries on a di ...

Remember its not just the fire aspect the fumes from a lipo are highly toxic.
2016-5-1
Use props
radiomike
lvl.2
Flight distance : 82438 ft
United States

It's never safe. Every LiPo "user" manual states never leave unattended.
2016-5-1
Use props
quaddron3
lvl.2

Canada

It shuts off itself once fully charged. They do call themselves intelligent battery and has built in controllers to discharge it to storage levels over time. So its not like most dumb lipos.

Its not good to do it but I've accidentally done it because it took too long to charge and I forgot it and left it plugged in overnight. But it just remained off once it was charged.

Even a traditional dumb lipo with a smart charger, the smart charger (if i it is a good one) would shut it down once charged. So technically it could be ok. But you don't wanna risk it with lipos anyway.
2016-5-1
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

pi-inthesky@hot Posted at 2016-5-1 14:24
Remember its not just the fire aspect the fumes from a lipo are highly toxic.

There a certain amount of danger with everything you do, every second of the day. We could all be killed by a rouge asteroid, ect.ect. So I'm going to live dangerously and plug my batteries in before I go night, night. I'm I crazy mother f*#ker!!!!
2016-5-1
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have done it many times. The Battery will only take what it needs and then stop charging. The bad wrap that Li=Ion Batteries take is from a few instances of the Batteries catching fire. Check your Batteries for any cracks or bulges. Also keep an eye on your Battery status  in your Go Program. Containers are available to place the Battery in while charging if you want to keep at ease.
2016-5-1
Use props
projeffrey11
lvl.2

United States

It's not recommended you gave it charging overnight and in fact it's highly recommended that you monitor your batteries while charging. It's easy to forget that you're charging your batteries has happened to me a couple of times but better safe than sorry.
2016-5-1
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236414 ft
Canada

Y'all are crazy not monitoring your batteries while charging due to being asleep. Charging heats up the battery causing a chemical reaction and that's when lipo batteries are most likely to blow due to many factors like a manufacture defects and other factors that could cause thermal runaway.  Lipo batteries are dangerous, when you stop respecting them is when you will end up with a burnt down home.

Many people have lost their homes by not monitoring their lipo's during charging, many sad sad videos on YouTube.

Even seen Phantom 2/3 batteries catch fire, IMO no lipo is immune to thermal runaway, yes it's less likley then the old dumb lipo's but the risk is still there, this is why my lipos are charged in a 50 cal military ammo contatiner with a few holes drilled due to it being air tight (vent pressure during thermal runaway, if you dont drill then you just made a small bomb ) I also put the batteries in lipo bags from teamblacksheep and then in the .50cal box to store them.  IMO not worth gambling your life and home.  The batteries are in the most stable the colder they are, make sure not to leave them in a hot car or you will end up with a burnt car.
2016-5-1
Use props
pi-inthesky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-5-1 23:15
There a certain amount of danger with everything you do, every second of the day. We could all be  ...

I couldnt give a monkeys what you do the point i was making was for those that are unaware  that the fumes are extremely  toxic
2016-5-2
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

pi-inthesky@hot Posted at 2016-5-2 12:36
I couldnt give a monkeys what you do the point i was making was for those that are unaware  that t ...

I like the way they smell.
2016-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules