Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
!000 Foot Altitude limit?
1092 5 2016-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
markaguille
Captain
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Just discovered this. Am I reading this right?

[url=]CAA FPV Exemption 6-5-2015.pdf[/url]

[url=]OK Trolls, feeding time![/url]

[url=]Regards[/url]
[url=]Mark G.[/url]

CAA FPV Exemption 6-5-2015.pdf

24.12 KB, Down times: 23

2016-5-1
Use props
Paul S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 750922 ft
United Kingdom

The critical point is the observer must be able to maintain direct unaided VLOS and whilst there is an absolute limit of 1000' AGL, other provisions suggest that 400' and 500m distance is the limit of VLOS. By inference this would suggest 1000' if pretty much directly overhead but only 400' if 500m distant = circa 1500' away.
2016-5-1
Use props
markaguille
Captain
Jersey

Paul S Posted at 2016-5-1 22:50
The critical point is the observer must be able to maintain direct unaided VLOS and whilst there is  ...

Hi Paul,

What you're saying does indeed make sense. What I find interesting is that this is a restriction for FPV pilots only (pilots who are not keeping VLOS) and not for the rest of us. CAP 393 article 166 states not over 400' or beyond 500m horizontally for vehicles 7kg and over (does not apply to us).
Other than the VLOS restriction, for non FPV pilots of aircraft weighing less than 7kg there is no altitude limit!

Regards
Mark G.
2016-5-2
Use props
markaguille
Captain
Jersey

markaguille Posted at 2016-5-2 11:24
Hi Paul,

What you're saying does indeed make sense. What I find interesting is that this is a res ...

Obviously for commercial pilots part of the conditions of your "Permission for Aerial Work" is that you don't fly above 400'.
If you break those conditions, you don't have to permission and you will be breaking the law.

Mark G.
2016-5-2
Use props
Paul S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 750922 ft
United Kingdom

According to Elliott Corke of Hexcam - The context here is that FPV UK (Simon Dale and others I think) put a lot of work into applying to the CAA to get this exemption for their members. It is for FPV flying. The thing to remember here is that when a lot of these rules and exemptions were written, nobody saw the way the industry (both commercial and recreational) would develop. The main thing here is SUSA is defined by data acquisition. As a technicality, if flying under this exemption, the pilot should not be recording the footage... in fact, should not be equipped to record the footage, which should mean anything like GoPo, Phantom, Inspire etc would be no good. It has to be a pure FPV video downlink. As far as I understand it anyway.
2016-5-4
Use props
markaguille
Captain
Jersey

Hi Paul,

This is a quote from Paul Dale from FPV.

Hi guys. The FPV exemption is something I worked to have the CAA issue in 2009. I (as FPVUK.org) have worked with the CAA to make sure it has been re-issued every year since. The latest version was re-issued a couple of days ago (http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/1168.pdf).

It NEVER allows anyone to fly higher than they could when not flying FPV. The exemption only imposes extra limits and safety measures.

Back in 2009 the CAA and myself came up with some extra rules and limits that would allow FPV flying to be carried out (without the impractical "only with a buddy-lead" arrangement that BMFA had adopted).

Firstly we looked at the altitude limit. There is no altitude limit for normal recreational LOS flying for aircraft under 7kg (see Article 166(4) of the ANO (IE the 400ft part only applies over 7kg)). CAA agreed to allow FPV only up to a limit of 1000ft (it was actually less in year one, but increased to 1000ft in a subsequent renewal).

Second was the max weight - initially it was 1.5kg if I remember rightly. It's now 3.5kg for multi-rotors.

And, the key thing, was that the pilot must have a properly briefed Competent Observer with them - who can fulfil the safety intent of Article 166(3). IE Can keep direct unaided visual contact with the aircraft.

People often misunderstand and think that normal RC modellers can fly to 400ft and the FPV exemption allows them to fly higher. That's simply not the case.

But remember; the pilot, or the competent observer in his stead if they're flying under the terms of the FPV exemption (and meeting all of the extra safety requirements) MUST have direct unaided visual contact with the aircraft. So the max height is very much restricted.

Personally, the only time I could think of a reason to go to such height would be to capture a large area such as one of the islands around where I live and on a very clear day I would love to try this, unfortunatly I know several people with "drones" who, on there maiden flight, the first thing that spring into their minds is, "lets see how high this thing goes".
Fortunately DJI has seen sense in setting an altitude limit (500m). Unfortunately in the small island of Guernsey where I live, there are planes above us, non stop, sometimes at no more than 1,000 feet.

Lets all prey for common sense mate.

Regards
Mark G.

2016-5-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules