EXTREMELY aggravating support - please help get resolved
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

HI,

This is starting to get extremely aggravating.

a) Sent in my unit to get fixed. They did FORCED upgrades (even though I requested it not be done). In the past - I requested my unit not be upgraded, and my wishes were respected. Seems some guy this time was on a power trip - because all notices requesting that not be done were stripped.
b) Sent it in to get it restored back to 1.1.9. (It's now 1.6 something). It WAS restored - but, assuming same guy - whomever has say so as unt is shipped out the door, VETOED it and put it back at 1.1.9.
c) Been trying to get help, it's painfully slow - and instead I get curt, short e-mails from an "anonymous" person, who has finally 'kind' of admitted the support e-mail is replied round robin by random individuals, so you aren't really speaking to the same individual.
d) IF ONLY upgrades making the unit better were done, then I'd have absolutely no problem with the new firmware packages. BUT - not only do I read about countless individuals having issues with the "new" upgrades (sometimes causing more problems than it solves) - but I also read about DJI deciding to "restrict" the unit more and more and more. No, I don't know what the differences in restrictions are between the 1.1.9 and 1.6.something, but - I don't like the idea of those being hidden, not disclosed, and so I have to "guess" at what might be restricted. (Incidentally, it does seem there are range differences with the versions).

Right now - my unit is a BRICK - because I share 3 batteries among the phantom 3's I have. Can't use the 1.6 unless I "upgrade" the batteries, which then means other units won't work. I've read about the "forced" hidden upgrades that each firmware package has (specifically flight power, flight restrictions, etc) - and strongly, strongly object to that being forced on me, when I sent my unit in good faith for repairs.

NOW - since whomever has "decided" that he doesn't feel like putting back my unit to how it's supposed to be - EVERY SINGLE E-MAIL to the DJI support address comes back as "bounced - undeliverable". So not sure if that is a deliberate thing - because it just seems to "magically" started happening now... or what. But this is getting VERY frustrating.

Would one of the DJI staff get in touch with me so I can get my unit restored back to 1.1.9? If you want, as a compromise - going forward, should I need repairs - I will be aware that DJI will do forced upgrades, whether you like it or not.

Thanks.

2016-5-1
Use props
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

pps - I WAS a big DJI fan over the last year - having purchased close to $10,000 in various DJI stuff - and I've told lots of other people who have become customers - but am quickly becoming very upset at having what appears my e-mail blocked, and ignoring requests for this to be fixed.

in the past - support has been excellent - I am hoping this is just a hiccup - and it will be fixed to my satisfaction ASAP.

Thank-you.
2016-5-1
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Really you are a slave to your own luddite fears.
The overwhelming majority have absolutely no problems with recent firmware updates.
It's always amusing to see how a few people (of unknown reliability) reporting difficulties is taken as evidence ofmajor problems with firmware.
If you are stuck back at 1.1.9 you are missing out on significant improvements that have been released since.
There's nothing magic or special about 1.1.9 and it's got that horrible wavy horizon.
2016-5-1
Use props
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

no, its not a luddite fear. you are misinformed or ignorant. have you read other posts?
2016-5-1
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

One problem with not updating firmware is they may never be able to repair it.  They may have to swap components that simply won't work with old firmware.  As companies cut costs they use cheaper components, which may need slightly different configurations in the firmware to keep some kind of reliability.

As for restrictions, I'm not sure what restrictions you think there are.  I've certainly not seen any, other than to protect my battery from cutting out mid-flight & dropping my P3 to its death.

I haven't updated mine from 1.6 for similar reasons to you, i.e. it works, so don't mess with it.  However, if they do it as part of the repair & it works ok, no problem.
2016-5-1
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

My personal view is that if DJI are providing warranty /support services then it's completely within their right to insist that the unit be maintained at the latest levels of software and firmware. This is the case, not jjust  with DJI, but with. most technology manufacturers. They cannot go on supporting multiple levels of firmware at the whim of their customers. I have always kept my Phantom at the latest versions of firmware and software and have had no real issues at all. As a regular reader of these forums, my conclusion is that many (if not most) problems end up being user errors and not related to new firmware at all. I'm sure there have occasionally been some legitimate issues but I don't believe that simply refusing to upgrade from a very old  firmware version is the answer to those problems, especially if you want DJI to continue to support your product.
2016-5-1
Use props
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

basically - from what I've read here (& in other forums) - is that they (depending on firmware version) may do one of two things:

a) Add more flight zone restrictions. (So anywhere near new places, anything they feel like actually). DJI has confirmed this.
b) And possibly flight power output (affecting range/power/etc).

The flight components currently for the Phantom 3 do "not" require a firmware upgrade to work. They work without the firmware upgrade. The firmware upgrade - while it may affect previous software issues - introduce new restrictions.

Now - not that I say go flying around football stadiums - I probably wouldn't because I don't think it would be smart anyways - BUT - I don't like a "forced" restriction being imposed, when it wasn't there before. It should be MY decision, not there's. Plus - it's the fact that these restrictions are not disclosed with the "updates". IF firmware changelogs said "yes, we fixed this - but, we are also groundign your bird in a whole new bunch of situations" - then that would be one thing. But they don't. And I don't like that.

I don't like having to make a big deal about this - because - it shouldn't be. My wishes should have been respected in the first place. So that is why I am upset.
2016-5-1
Use props
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

@labroides - I take offence to your dismissive patronizing post. Not being a "slave to luddite fears". I probably shouldn't be that sensitive - normally I am a pretty well tempered guy - but I guess just seeing how your post was worded got me more upset.

Yes, there are definitely improvements with firmware upgrades. I'd just like them without undisclosed, additional hidden restrictions being imposed, even if it doesn't "affect" me right now. It's like buying a corvette - you drive the speed limit even though you could race it all you want to - and then you go in for an oil change at the dealership - and the dealership tells you they swapped your engine for a toyota yaris engine "just in case" you ever decided to race your car - and say too bad, that's just how it is. Not that you would race your car in the first place - but it's upsetting. Do you understand my meaning?
2016-5-1
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiguy001 Posted at 2016-5-2 09:07
basically - from what I've read here (& in other forums) - is that they (depending on firmware versi ...

You put a lot of faith on a few people reporting negatives.
The restrictions you refer to are imaginary.
An up-to-data P3 is no more restricted than an old one on 1.1.9.
2016-5-1
Use props
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

@labroides - DJI (the support) confirmed that there are additional flight restrictions (as one of the items) from time to time with upgrades . How is that imaginary?

Direct quote: "We are unable to assist with your request to have your firmware downgraded. This is primarily due to liability and safety reasons on our end. When we do updates they either are there to fix bugs or add features, such as new flight modes, better battery life and up to date no fly zones. All units when they leave the facility are up to specifications,which means the most current firmware."

If it was just fixing it, making it better/fixing bugs, I am 100% okay with that. I just don't like the idea that there may or may not be additional restrictions imposed from when I first purchased the unit.
2016-5-1
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

djiguy001 Posted at 2016-5-2 00:07
The flight components currently for the Phantom 3 do "not" require a firmware upgrade to work. They work without the firmware upgrade.

Yes, the flight components work without the upgrade, but any new components needed to repair your machine may not, or may not work as well as the old components.  I assume you've read about the vibration issues reported with v1.5?  One of the supposed fixes was to upgrade the motors/control board.  It may be nothing in reality, but it was offered as a fix.

Interestingly, I've not heard of the vibration issue for a while, since the weather's warmed up.
2016-5-1
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiguy001 Posted at 2016-5-2 09:15
@labroides - I take offence to your dismissive patronizing post. Not being a "slave to luddite fears ...

I understand what you fear but I'm saying that your fears are exaggerated well beyond the real situation.
2016-5-1
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The only restrictions I'm aware of are those immediately around airports, nuclear sites, radio masts, military installations etc. A move probably welcomed by many as an additional feature to help keep them within current rules and regulations. Not liked by many , perhaps; but I doubt not many would fly in these areas anyhow. I would suggest the argument of 'forced restriction and liberties' is almost academic.

DJI might have no option but to provide the latest build otherwise they might leave themselves wide open to claims for damages caused by drones flown with older, perhaps now considered unsafe firmware, i.e. those prior to the battery update in 1.6.
2016-5-1
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2016-5-2 09:47
The only restrictions I'm aware of are those immediately around airports, nuclear sites, radio masts ...

And these have been since the P2 days.
It's not like they just popped up in recent firmware.
But some of the errors in dodgy NFZs have been corrected.
2016-5-1
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

I guess I'm not understanding why it's so important to downgrade to 1.19 from the firmware they put on your repaired unit......and what "flight power" update they have put in the new updates.  They put in a battery voltage update that protects the aircraft if the battery voltage starts going critical..........which I feel was actually put in more for peeps who didn't fully charge up their battery before they flew ( as prescribed in the manual).  To me that is a good thing.

And I'm also a pilot, so defining NFZ's with updates is, again in my opinion a VERY good thing.
I understand you feel like it's your P3 and you should have the software that you want on it (and you should),  but I have a P3P and 2 P3A's and have stair stepped the updates every time since last July and have not had a single software related issue........or any drop in performance on any of the aircraft.

Was in Michigan yesterday and flew over 9,000 feet from the home point with nar a problem.  Full signal there and back .......over 30,000 total feet and not a single glitch.

I really hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction, but as far as the new updates, l think you have nothing to worry about.
Good luck!
2016-5-2
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

China

djiguy001,
You was getting anonymous  e-mails? You can't see the e-mail it's coming from?
You still didn't get any help from DJI with downgrading your FW?
We will take care of your issue.
2016-5-3
Use props
djiguy001
Second Officer

HI DJI-Tim,

Sorry for the very late reply. Just realized it's been a few weeks. I was just feeling very upset & discouraged, and just didn't feel like dealing with this. Tonight I finally have a little bit of energy to deal with this, so am replying to your comments.

Answering your questions:

1. Yes - ALL The e-mails from "support.us@dji.com" are anonymous. I have asked MANY MANY times who I am speaking with, and the question is totally 100% ignored. Only *once* (after I think about 10 requests) - did I get someone saying his name was 'marc'. Every other single time, the question is ignored. No ID. No Name. No Number. E-mails are usually just signed "Best,". So I don't know who I am talking to. And then once - someone said it is randomly sent to different people, and different people answer the e-mails.

2. And that is correct - I got 0% help with putting my firmware back to the way I requested. It should have NEVER been upgraded in the first place, but someone decided to ignore my request. Twice - I am assuming someone from this forum sent an e-mail to the USA DJI - because then I get another anonymous e-mail saying "No, we will not downgrade your craft." The only other thing I get is "Management has decided NOT to fix it". I am not sure if it is one person that is on a powertrip/showing how powerful they are, but they 100% ignore any request from the main DJI office, and do what they want/what they have decided.

3. The most frustrating recent thing is over the last month - "supposedly" they offered a "free" battery. (I did not ask, but since they refused to downgrade, they offered a 'free' battery in lieu of that). But - whenever I reply (last month) to the dji support e-mail address, my e-mail "bounces". I actually don't want that - I want my aircraft back the way it was. So the same person(s) is making it appear that my e-mail bounces, because there is no other reason it would bounce. 'Periodically' if I send a very short e-mail (one line, frustrated, saying that I am trying to send an e-mail and it keeps bouncing) - I get a reply saying "Yes, we got your e-mail. What do you want to do?" So - I don't know if someone is just playing games "pretending" the e-mails bounce (and only replying to the ones they want, and then anything else pretending and saying it 'bounces').

b) Incidentally, I did notice two different things between 1.1.9 and the 1.6. With 1.1.9 - I never had to adjust my attenae. With 1.6 - I constantly have to adjust, and I get worse range than the previous one. Second thing - I used to be able to 'share' batteries between my machines. Now I can't - because it wants to do a forced upgrade.

4. Finally - reality is - yes, it probably really doesn't matter whether it is the 1.1.9 or 1.6.0 upgrade, even with hidden restrictions. I fly safe, and where I fly anyways tends to be countryside. But - it is the principle of the thing that bothers me - the fact my request not only was ignored, but 'pretended' that they didn't see it in the first place, and just the "games" whoever "management" is, and the anonymous e-mails, and then 'pretending' to offer a 'free battery' but then getting "fake" e-mail bounces - is getting very, very, frustrating.

It has just been very aggravating and frustrating.

I used to come on this forum every day, excited to see what other people were talking about and saying. The last couple weeks I just haven't been in the mood. I also used to tell lots of friends and business colleauges about the DJI products. Again, the last few weeks I just haven't been in the mood because of such a poor, poor experience.

Anyways, tonight just had a bit of energy to deal with this, and send a reply here. (Because probably if I sent it to the support e-mail address again, it would bounce again).

If you can fix it, it would be great.

It just - I am getting of being treated so poorly - and if it's going to be more of a hassle from them, don't really want to deal with it. Which is, what I suppose their intent (whoever "they" is) in the first place. And that doesn't feel very good.
2016-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules