Firmware 1.6? 1.8?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hoffam1
New

United States

i'm confused by the firmware situation right now.  When I turn on my remote it tells me to update to the latest version (1.6).  But Ive already installed version 1.8 on my aircraft.  So now the remote just wants to constantly re-upgrade to 1.6 over and over.  I've tried taking teh 1.8 BIN file and placing it on a microSD, plugging it in to the USB jack on the remote controller and rebooting... nothing happens.  I've alsy tried putting the microSD in my aircraft while tethered to the remote and rebooting the remote controller.  Nothing happens that way either.  

What version is the latest?  How do you get this thing upgraded?

I have a phantom 3 professional.

Thanks,
Brian
2016-5-1
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

1.8.80 for the aircraft  which you updated using the SD card. The latest version of software for the RC is 1.6, and that is updated over the internet via the display device Wi-Fi or Mobile data connection (I would use Wi-Fi).
2016-5-1
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

I would seriously considering NOT upgrading either.  Check the various spots here and on other sites. Lots of issues.
2016-5-1
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dbeck@toolboxpr Posted at 2016-5-2 02:01
I would seriously considering NOT upgrading either.  Check the various spots here and on other sites ...

Can you give some examples, I thought the P3P was pretty solid now ?
2016-5-1
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

Many,many guys (myself included) have had major issues with the upgrade.  Go the the phantom pilots site as well as search here. I never got it upgraded to response directly as my upgrade would not take!
2016-5-1
Use props
bigbells
lvl.2
Flight distance : 728478 ft
United States

1.6 is the latest firmware for the remote control. 1.8 is the latest firmware for the aircraft. The 1.6 remote control firmware is included as part of the 1.8 bin file. Don't ask me why they don't have the same number for both.

I was able to upgrade by using the second method that you used, but the first method did nothing. You have the aircraft as well as the remote control turned on, right? Also, there are two mini-USB ports on the aircraft. You need to use the one that's on the gimbal, not the one that's on the body of the aircraft.

The instructions that worked properly for me start at 4:08 of this DJI video:

Personally, I've had no problems with operation of my Phantom 3 Pro after doing the upgrade. I'm sorry to hear that others have experienced difficulties. I did find it desirable to recalibrate the gimbal after doing the upgrade in order to get a more level horizon in my videos. It's possible that there was no relationship between the upgrade and the need for a gimbal calibration. I use different filters on the camera which have very tiny differences in weight that can cause horizon changes when I swap one filter for another.
Oh, and to the best of my knowledge, it is also necessary to have the latest version of DJI Go in order for the firmware updates to take.

2016-5-1
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

dbeck@toolboxpr Posted at 2016-5-1 19:31
Many,many guys (myself included) have had major issues with the upgrade.  Go the the phantom pilots  ...

So, you dont have any problem with the upgrade, you have trouble upgrading?

If that is the case, you wouldnt know how the actual upgrade behaves once installed, would you?

Upgrade went smooth here and no issues...so far.
2016-5-1
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

Correct.  After spending 5 different phone calls to DJI support (I'm  very savvy on how to upgrade, I own  a P2, Inspire and Osmo as well as the P3) they and I finally gave up and suggested that the upgrade to 1.8 was not critical and they have had many, many issues both in the upgrade procedure (like me) and once the upgrade has taken, many issues with weird flying issues.  i'll wait for 1.9 or whatever.  For those of you not having issues, you are lucky!
2016-5-1
Use props
hoffam1
New

United States

The problem is that the App still tells me "Upgrade needed" and blinks red.  But when i check the status im running 1.8 on the aircraft and 1.6 on the controller.  Why is it telling me i need to upgrade?

2016-5-2
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hoffam1 Posted at 2016-5-2 15:24
The problem is that the App still tells me "Upgrade needed" and blinks red.  But when i check the st ...

Do you switch on the display device before powering up RC ?  If so then try powering up RC 1st , then the display device.
2016-5-2
Use props
Ricardo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

hoffam1 Posted at 2016-5-2 22:24
The problem is that the App still tells me "Upgrade needed" and blinks red.  But when i check the st ...

I have had that happen to me also. I use an android tablet, and all my hardware is updated to the latest firmware. I checked in the app to see all versions are the correct ones. I don't have any issues updating now that you we use the wifi to update. I did have some issues when I was first getting started but I agree that I think it is some operator error or inexperience that was causing some of my issues. But my phantom flys perfectly and I have never had any issues. Sorry, back to your question.....once in a while I will turn on the app and it will say it needs to upgrade, but I know it doesn't, I just get out of the app and restart it and all is fine. I can't answer why the app does it or what it is looking for, but this has happened more than once. I don't get to concerned because I know if I restart the app it will recognize the latest firmware is installed on all components. Other than that, my tablet works great, never locks up or anything like that.
2016-5-2
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 286198 ft
United States

dbeck@toolboxpr Posted at 2016-5-1 22:34
Correct.  After spending 5 different phone calls to DJI support (I'm  very savvy on how to upgrade,  ...

Sorry it didn't go as it should for you..  I was totally hesitant about 1.8, but did the upgrade yesterday without a hitch (although the aircraft upgrade was excruciatingly long due in part because there is a camera upgrade as well) ..  I've yet to fly with the new package, but I've also seen many posts by folks that say they've seen no change in flight dynamics after the upgrade..  I'm still not 100% convinced that some of the difference in results doesn't have some basis in the fact we have multiple versions of the same aircraft, controllers, etc..  We know there are new motors on the P3A and P3P as just one example, we know that there are different transmission power outputs based on the model as yet another.  Not sure that a one stop shopping approach to the firmware when the underlying hardware has seen revisions is always going to go smoothly for 100% of the population..  
2016-5-2
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

Just dont trust updates. Wait 2 weeks and see what are the bugs.

2016-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules