4K video editing software recommendations for nube
1642 13 2016-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CitizenKane
lvl.2

United States

Hi All,

I've seen many a posts on here about video editing but it looks like a lot of those are for those who are really Into aerial footage.  Anyone have a recommendation for a casual flier like me who wants to do some basic editing, stitching etc of my P4 vids?  It's not a money issue.  More of a learning curve/time investment issue.  Want to get a feel for it before investing many hours for a 2-3 minute clip.

Thanks!
2016-5-1
Use props
Remco
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56381 ft
Netherlands

Hi,
Try looking  into  the GoPro studio desktop app.
it really is drag and drop easy.

2016-5-1
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have 'just' started using Sonys Movie Studio Platinum (about £50), which I believe is the baby brother of the Sony Vegas editing suite. There are many features available (With many GPU enabled, these will make best use of the Graphics cards capabilities) , and it has full help to hand, and a choice between simpler or more complex editing modes depending on your experience.

To best edit 4k though you will need some fairly powerful hardware to render within decent times. A desktop with a modern graphics cards (I have an older Nvidia GTX 480, but it can still hold its own against many) and lots of RAM helps a lot.

I have a dual screen setup with one used for the editing software controls, and the other giving me a full screen, real time rendered preview (handled by the GTX480)
2016-5-2
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

I understand you not wanting to learn some massively complicated piece of software (for me, it is the cost), but you might find it's a false economy with your time if you decide you want to go further & have to buy something completely different to get what you need or want.  Remember, just because a feature is in the software, doesn't mean you have to use it.

I'm not up to speed with video editing, but in Photoshop for example, there are many features I'll never use for my photography, but there are a couple of very important ones (recording & editing actions) I wouldn't be without that aren't available in Photoshop Elements (the light version of Photoshop).

I'm using iMovie (Mac) at the moment because it's free & I'm not yet convinced I'll be getting into video much, but if I do, I'll probably go for one of the higher-end editing suites, like Final Cut Pro.
2016-5-2
Use props
birdingbilly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 843369 ft
United Kingdom

OP are you a PC or Mac user ?
2016-5-2
Use props
CitizenKane
lvl.2

United States

birdingbilly Posted at 2016-5-2 03:32
OP are you a PC or Mac user ?

PC mostly.  I have some powerful desktops.  Dual NVidias, dual monitors, etc.  I use them for heavy-duty electrical design and mechanical design (graphics intensive).  Also have a MacBook Pro that is a few years old if I need to use iMovie.
2016-5-2
Use props
KsKGio
lvl.2

Italy

Check out Corel VideoStudio X9, it's super easy to use and fast!
2016-5-2
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CitizenKane Posted at 2016-5-2 15:05
PC mostly.  I have some powerful desktops.  Dual NVidias, dual monitors, etc.  I use them for heav ...

" I have some powerful desktops.  Dual NVidias, dual monitors, etc."

Looks like the hardware is sorted then
2016-5-2
Use props
phantom-four.co
lvl.2

Netherlands

I don't think there is anything more simple than GoPro studio. It even comes with templates. For throwing vids together quickly it's probably the easiest program I know.
2016-5-2
Use props
CitizenKane
lvl.2

United States

Thanks everyone!
2016-5-2
Use props
johnuscheuer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10820 ft
United States

I am new at this also and have been using Windows Movie Maker. I have edited several videos and it works fine as far as I'm concerned. I can't compare it to any others but as I recall it's free. Look it up on the internet a check it out. You may also already have with your apps on your computer. Good luck.
2016-5-2
Use props
LordNeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 548212 ft
Chile

phantom-four.co Posted at 2016-5-2 10:17
I don't think there is anything more simple than GoPro studio. It even comes with templates. For thr ...

Do you have to do something to cut the clips that aren't from a GoPro? I installed it a while ago and never could edit videos from the P3.
2016-5-2
Use props
phantom-four.co
lvl.2

Netherlands

LordNeo Posted at 2016-5-2 22:21
Do you have to do something to cut the clips that aren't from a GoPro? I installed it a while ago  ...

Skip step 1 and go straight to step 2 instead. Select a template and click on "Media". You should be able to import the clips there and get going.
2016-5-2
Use props
LordNeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 548212 ft
Chile

phantom-four.co Posted at 2016-5-2 18:11
Skip step 1 and go straight to step 2 instead. Select a template and click on "Media". You should  ...

Thanks, i was always trying to import. Now i have a reason to start recording in MOV format.
2016-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules