Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4 Gimbal - horizon problem
5152 15 2016-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ISA AYDIN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 504692 ft
  • >>>
United States

First, let me mention that I am very happy with my phantom 4.
Second let me mention that I am very unhappy with DJI service. (talked with them on the phone only to change my device holder) a. very long waiting time took me 3 weeks to reach them. b. Very rude c. Submitted documents, on 4/25 (today is 5/2) they didn't even reply that they processed my proof of purchase (can't imagine how long it will take to receive my new holder, ended up purchasing new one from BH).

Anyway! Today I wanna talk about gimbal horizon.

This problem started after the latest update. I did IMU calibration at least 3 times if not even more. Then Gimbal calibration fails on 72%.

Every time I take off my gimbal is falling onto the right or left side. Then I go to adjust Gimbal roll, +0.2, +0.4 then it looks ok, then I tilt gimbal all the way down and up, and its wrong again and I have to adjust the gimbal roll again.

I am always  flying with gimbal adjust roll setting on the screen, cause I need to adjust it at least 10 times per flight.

And because of this, I can't capture scenes like moving forward and tilting up at the same time. Because every time when I tilt up the lens, it is already falling to one of the sides.

DJI any suggestion? Call DJI support again? )) I think it's better to live with this )))
IMG_2560.JPG
2016-5-2
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-5-2
Use props
Stealthy
lvl.1

Australia

Gimbal calibration will fail over you do not have sufficient light. You must also do it when not flying.
2016-5-2
Use props
ISA AYDIN
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Morph1 Posted at 2016-5-2 14:22
I am afraid that perhaps that's the way it is and there is nothing else that you or they can do ...  ...

But it used to be ok before last update
2016-5-2
Use props
ISA AYDIN
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Stealthy Posted at 2016-5-2 19:21
Gimbal calibration will fail over you do not have sufficient light. You must also do it when not fly ...

Does not have sufficient light? I thought its using IMU to level. Also how can someone calibrate while flying?))))
2016-5-2
Use props
Stealthy
lvl.1

Australia

ISA AYDIN Posted at 2016-5-3 13:00
Does not have sufficient light? I thought its using IMU to level. Also how can someone calibrate w ...

If the camera does not have light - most people calibrate in their house and have poor lighting when calibrating. I belive it uses the IMU and what it is seeing in the picture.

I used a high power torch on the ceiling and the room lit up, I had way more successful calibrations than in low light normal house conditions.

If you can calibrate it outside in sun light - I am more than sure you will get successful.

In relation to flight - can you try and calibrate during flight, but it will fail, so do not calibrate it during flight.
2016-5-2
Use props
alpinekiwi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 54803 ft
France

While I am more than happy with everything else my P4 offers me (I am getting great flight times and distances), I am also seriously unhappy with this horizon issue.

DJI really need to sort this shit out. I bought the P4 for filming and this issue is rendering the drone nearly unusable...
2016-5-2
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

China

Hi Isa! Could you please post a picture of the uneven horizon. I little bit of tilt is usual in any gimbal.
When calibration fails at   50%< it's actually succeed (this issue will be fixer in the next FW). All you need to do is restart the aircraft.
2016-5-3
Use props
wrathofkhan
Banned

Australia

2016-5-3
Use props
ISA AYDIN
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

wrathofkhan Posted at 2016-5-3 07:45
Hi ISA AYDIN,
This is my Gimbal problem.
P4 being replaced by Apple on Friday.

But does it mean then, my one is defective? I can't change it, I bought it from DJI almost two months ago. And you know their disgusting service. If they tell me to ship it back, that means it is gone for a couple of months.
2016-5-3
Use props
ISA AYDIN
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-5-3 06:21
Hi Isa! Could you please post a picture of the uneven horizon. I little bit of tilt is usual in any  ...

It can't be usual Tim, I never had problems with my P3 Pro and with P4 when I just bought it. From you post I can understand that whatever I post answer is obvious ))

I have 2 stop of tilt which screws my footage totally. It would be even OK if I could fix it manually. But the problem is, even after fixing it, it is enough to tilt the camera down and up and horizon is falling again.
2016-5-3
Use props
ISA AYDIN
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

alpinekiwi Posted at 2016-5-3 02:03
While I am more than happy with everything else my P4 offers me (I am getting great flight times and ...

Exactly!!! Totally agree with you! I am also, cinematographer not a racer. Why would I need something that doesn't deliver results as advertised!
2016-5-3
Use props
ISA AYDIN
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Stealthy Posted at 2016-5-2 23:35
If the camera does not have light - most people calibrate in their house and have poor lighting whe ...

OK! you persuade me to do it. I will do it outdoors as soon as it stops raining in New Jersey )) Will do some pictures and share results here! )
2016-5-3
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Stealthy Posted at 2016-5-3 04:35
If the camera does not have light - most people calibrate in their house and have poor lighting whe ...

There might be some truth in that. With the aircraft set level and you carry out an IMU calibration you are setting the reference point. Whatever it is reading on the sensors at that moment means that the aircraft is level. So now that the aircraft is level how does it calibrate the gimbal does it just set the motors back to a zero reference in relation to the aircrafts frame level. Or does it use the camera image, or more to the point the straight edge of the image ? I would suggest if it were using an image then how does it know what is level, I don't think that it does. If it resets the motors to set 0 reference points in relation to the aircrafts frame then if the imaging chip is not quite orthogonal ( perpendicular to the centre line ) then that might explain why there may always be 'some' error in the horizon, and the need to have manual adjustment available.

Just a thought
2016-5-3
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

2016-5-3
Use props
chdufour
New

Singapore

Is there a chance I can return to Apple after 2 Months buy?
2016-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules