DNG vs JPG on the drone, or JPG made on a pc?
1749 14 2016-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gtokarsk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Which way do you guys take stills?(yes I know it's dNg not dMg, but cannot edit that part! )

https://www.facebook.com/greg.to ... 8199680?pnref=story
Assuming that the link actually works, picture 3 and 4, DNG converted to jpg on my computer, and jpg direct from the DJI...
Quite a difference!
Since I stared pulling raw+jpg last few days, as much a DNG is harder to deal with, JPG shows SIGNIFICANT modifications and distortion! Well, in low light especially, but even in full light, I think the DJI software does more than multiple editors I use on my pc.. How puzzling!

Of course I had so much fun tonight... https://www.facebook.com/greg.to ... 9155954?pnref=story
GT

Single SelectVote, Total 26 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2016-5-2
Use props
phantom-four.co
lvl.2

Netherlands

Going to be a bit pedantic, it's DNG (Digital negative) ;)

And to answer your question, I shoot DNG almost all the time. No point having the camera decide which information to keep and which to discard if I can do that myself and have more control over the end result.
2016-5-2
Use props
Nicola90s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3060869 ft
Italy

Should be DNG

However I usually shoot RAW + jpg but the camera is quite slowly to save them...
2016-5-3
Use props
gtokarsk
lvl.4
United States

Ha! I've been DeMaGed by a DNG! Thx! Can edit the post, but not the voting options! Thx for noticing though ;)Dear moderators, can you possibly modify the poll from DMG to either DNG or RAW please?
GT
2016-5-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

gtokarsk Posted at 2016-5-3 21:58
Ha! I've been DeMaGed by a DNG! Thx!  Can edit the post, but not the voting options!  Thx for no ...

tried and can't edit.
2016-5-3
Use props
gtokarsk
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-3 11:55
tried and can't edit.

oh well,thx for trying ;) At least now I know what DNG stands for, and I also know that DMG may be a valid description for me ;)
2016-5-3
Use props
Shaun_au
lvl.1

Australia

DNG always as it produces far better images in post prod.
2016-5-5
Use props
embayweather
lvl.4
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

I have been a professional photographer for around 15 years until my condition grabbed a hold of me. I have used RAW files (DNG), throughut almost all that time and would never go bac. I use DNG with the drones too. So much nmore versatility and much better images. I change mine to a TIFF file when I have finished work on them. For me there is no contentest whatsoever.
2017-6-30
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Austria

DNG is, in ALL photography I do, the only way to go. Way more processing option and lossless editing, as well as choice of output quality. I'm waiting until iPhone can do that, too! ;)
2017-6-30
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
United States

Well, i will have to play more and learn photoshop tools way better to achieve that..
2017-6-30
Use props
Drone Lady
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4780 ft
Canada

embayweather Posted at 2017-6-30 05:12
I have been a professional photographer for around 15 years until my condition grabbed a hold of me. I have used RAW files (DNG), throughut almost all that time and would never go bac. I use DNG with the drones too. So much nmore versatility and much better images. I change mine to a TIFF file when I have finished work on them. For me there is no contentest whatsoever.

I'm a beginner and am wondering what the advantage is using TIFF over JPG?
2017-6-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Drone Lady Posted at 2017-6-30 11:11
I'm a beginner and am wondering what the advantage is using TIFF over JPG?

Unless you are a very serious photographer, jpg is probably all you need.
The Phantom produces very good jpg files and contrary to what you'll hear hear often, you can edit them and get good results.

The advantage of a Tiff file is that if you save your work as a tiff file, it is not compressed.
A compressed file (jpg) loses a small amount of detail every time it gets saved.
But unless you want to edit a picture, save it and work on it a few more times, it's not enough that you'd notice.
2017-6-30
Use props
embayweather
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Whiilst I agree with Labroides' comments, I must say I sued to be, and hopefully still am, a serious photographer. If I wish to sell any images (PfCO willing)  then the maximum quality possbile is always desirable. If they are for your own use then on the whole they will be adequate in jpeg.
2017-7-1
Use props
embayweather
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Phantomski Posted at 2017-6-30 10:57
Well, i will have to play more and learn photoshop tools way better to achieve that..

Phantomski dont worry too much about Photoshop. There are many very good and way cheaper programs to use that will tkae in DNG files. I use, amongst others, Luminar on my Mac. Its just been released for PC systems as well. Usually there is an offer on the rpice too. Have a look here

https://macphun.com/luminar
2017-7-1
Use props
Drone Lady
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4780 ft
Canada

Labroides Posted at 2017-6-30 15:02
Unless you are a very serious photographer, jpg is probably all you need.
The Phantom produces very good jpg files and contrary to what you'll hear hear often, you can edit them and get good results.

IOW don't save in JPG until you are absolutely sure all your editing is done.  Thank you Labroides!
2017-7-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules