Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
why 5km range when legal limit is 0.5km
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chandos
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I don't know about other countries but here in the UK you canot fly legally more than a maximum of 500m from the operator and always in line of sight. So why, when DJI are implying they are 'good and holy' by preventing their aircraft from being able to be flown close to an airport (which need not be unsafe) and not leaving that decision to the pilot (particulalry the commercial operators) do they announce their latest Matrice 600 has a 5km range. Even a basic cheap Phantom can break the law four fold.

Is there any country where you can legally fly a model aircraft of any description for pleasure or commercial use more than 500m from the operator?

2016-5-3
Use props
Linolens
Second Officer
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

good points there.
If they do limit to LoS on a software based approach, you'll see all these idiots on YouTube start complaining about their freedom of doing whatever they want. That being said, these are the big chunk of people buying millions worth of product from DJI.
It's like DJI's website showcasing horror movie level pictures taken from 1000 ft + and breaking all safety recommendations you can imagine.
Money rules.
2016-5-3
Use props
dopeytree
First Officer
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can on occasion get the 500m rule extended if you have observers on radio contact with the pilot. But yes it'sa bit odd DJI marketing against the law.
2016-5-4
Use props
Chandos
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I've been flying model helicopters for aerial filming for over 12 years, long before multi-rotors and autopilots for models were available and yes, you can get the 500m rule extended (with a lot of paperwork - and it'll get worse) but to be honest I have never needed to fly more than one kilometer and most of the time I'm no further than 300m. Admittedly, most of my work is the 'creative' type for production companies and you need to be near what you are shooting really but for some survey work up to a kilometer can be useful but any more than that it's time to call in the full size.

I don't know how crop surveying is going to get on because to make it pay you really need to be over 500' agl and more than 500m distance from the person in control - that's all illegal.

It's a bit like: You can but a still but it is illegal to use one without a license, the difference is you can't bring down a Boeing 777 with a still.
2016-5-4
Use props
kvamens
lvl.4

Norway

Hi
Here you can fly BLOS if you got the right license, meaning you got to have a regular pilot license and all th eother paperwork in order
2016-5-14
Use props
jwt873
First Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

There is no distance specified in Canada.  You must be able to see the craft and fly it without the need for any electronic assistance. You also have to be able to clearly see the area you're flying over.  500 metes would probably be illegal here because most drones are just a speck in the sky at that distance.

I think the airport arming restriction built into the firmware came about because just about every time an airline pilot reports seeing a drone, it makes international news.  (Google for "Drone spotted near airport"). It's probably the biggest black eye for the multirotor community.  On the other hand, drone pilots flying out past their legal range would never make the evening news on TV.
2016-5-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules