Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI, how important is a perfectly level takeoff surface?
2215 14 2016-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TK-421
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-5-6
Use props
kcmusa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 132067 ft
United States

I dont bother and never have had an issue.  Some people hand launch, thats not level.
2016-5-6
Use props
TK-421
Banned

United States

2016-5-6
Use props
connorschulte
lvl.4
Flight distance : 261033 ft
United States

TK-421 Posted at 2016-5-6 11:37
This is what I had figured and I agree.

After logging over 12 hours  and over a million feet of  ...

My Phantom seems to fine. I've only had some minor issues with a firmware upgrade but that was easily fixed.
2016-5-6
Use props
quickpoint
Second Officer

United States

TK-421 Posted at 2016-5-6 12:37

most of the time if im launching from grass or sand, i just launch from my case.   not 100% level but close enough.     and its a stable enough platform for imu start up as well
2016-5-6
Use props
kirkd1989
lvl.3

United States

TK-421 Posted at 2016-5-6 12:37

When mine is off, I will bring it back down. Turn the bird off and on and go back up and itll be fixed.
2016-5-6
Use props
na5n
Second Officer
United States

Most of my flights and photography are in the desert.  Take-off and landing can blow sand and dust into the motors - not good.  So I generally take off from the engine hood on my 4WD which has a distinct slope of 5 degrees or more.  I have never had a problem with this "out of level" condition with my P2V+ or P3S.  It lifts and levels itself in about one second.  Of course, I do compass calibration away from the vehicle or other metal objects, and hand catch on landings.  I have experienced no problems taking off from a non-level surface.  The phantom re-orients itself like a champ.

2016-5-6
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's best to choose your take-off and landing spots carefully, it's not worth the headache of having a tip over. These craft are kinda fragile.
2016-5-6
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

na5n@zianet.com Posted at 2016-5-7 03:52
Most of my flights and photography are in the desert.  Take-off and landing can blow sand and dust i ...

"I generally take off from the engine hood on my 4WD"

Launching from on your steel car doesn't sound like a good practice.
Perhaps you could get a (non-steel) picnic table, a sheet of plastic or plywood etc
2016-5-6
Use props
dobmatt
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-5-6 14:33
"I generally take off from the engine hood on my 4WD"

Launching from on your steel car doesn't so ...

As usual, nobody really know. As usual we have totally different opinions here. Which one is true? Or, does it matter?
2016-5-6
Use props
Cale262
lvl.4

Canada

Starting up and taking off from a flat horizontal surface is very important but it usually doesn't make much of a difference if the surface is off camber or not very flat
2016-5-6
Use props
Advocate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

na5n@zianet.com Posted at 2016-5-6 18:52
Most of my flights and photography are in the desert.  Take-off and landing can blow sand and dust i ...

My P4 started going crazy the other day, without me touching the controls it started flying in a corkscrew type path until I hit RTH as I was sure it was going to fly away. It would have been my own fault, I took off from the roof of my car, which had interfered with the compass.  I don't know how you're getting away with launching from the hood of your car but please be careful!
2016-5-6
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

dobmatt Posted at 2016-5-7 15:41
As usual, nobody really know. As usual we have totally different opinions here. Which one is true? ...

Try for yourself.
Just put the Phantom on the roof or your car and turn it on.
You'll get a screaming compass error with the compass a millimetre above the steel roof.
See post #12 above for confirmation.
2016-5-7
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am in New England and nothing is level here. The Ice Age really dumped on us. When I take off on a surface that is not level I always use both sticks and as the Phantom leaves the surface and starts to tilt I correct the angle. Actually it is a lot of fun and sharpens your skills. I go through the same procedure when landing. Love to do perfect touch and go's.
2016-5-7
Use props
TK-421
Banned

2016-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules