Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Updated - Any tips on improving this video?
2585 24 2016-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
anthonytori
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

UPDATED: I received some feedback that lead me to another post regarding different settings for the drone. I went out and shot a few new clips using these settings and added a second video below the original. Look at the pan up and pan down differences using the gimbal. The settings used can be seen at http://forum.dji.com/thread-48578-1-1.html.

I've been practicing my video skills around Austin the past few weeks in preparation for an upcoming trip. For you guys who have done this more, how can I improve on this?

2016-5-7
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

Man, I checked out your IG. You are an established droner, and have tons of great pics/videos. You know you don't need any tips. This video is beautiful, artistic, and is well shot. If you want to show off your videos, there's somewhere to do that on these forums. Otherwise, this part of the forum is for Phantom 4 questions. Don't play dumb dude. You know that footage is awesome.
2016-5-7
Use props
anthonytori
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-5-7 10:23
Man, I checked out your IG. You are an established droner, and have tons of great pics/videos. You k ...

I know it's good, but I want to be better. I guess you just have to know me to understand that's just my mentality. There's always someone better than you and I like to learn from them. I learned by following people on Instagram and following this forum. Showing off was not my intention at all.
2016-5-7
Use props
Angie7
New

It was perfect
2016-5-7
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Anthony,

Beautiful! Way out of my league. I'm surprised you're looking for tips? Here's what us amateurs do in Austin on vacation! Tips, really?

Loved the video!

Jerry

2016-5-7
Use props
Cale262
lvl.3

Canada

Nice video, great reveals, good fly/follow throughs, smooth with no obnoxious hard movements, perfect length...I agree with the above comments, I think you know what you're doing. Other than that...Thanx 4 sharing.
2016-5-7
Use props
anthonytori
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-5-7 11:32
Anthony,

Beautiful! Way out of my league. I'm surprised you're looking for tips? Here's what us ama ...

I like the close view of the bridge so going to try that next time I head out there.! You think it can go under it without too much interference?
2016-5-7
Use props
anthonytori
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I do appreciate the positive feedback. If anyone comes across other vides they see on YouTube or Instagram that they like let me know. That's how I've been practicing. Find a video I like, copy their moves and piece it together.
2016-5-7
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing, makes me happier 'cause I thought it looked pretty good (not realising you had some previous experience). Only thing I might have commented on was the gimbal pan up at about 21 seconds looked a little bit latchy , would gimbal setting adjustment smooth it out a bit ?
2016-5-7
Use props
anthonytori
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-5-7 18:28
Thanks for sharing, makes me happier 'cause I thought it looked pretty good (not realising you had s ...

I was thinking the same thing, but not sure what setting would make it more smooth?  I've tried this pan a few times and same outcome. Would definitely like to improve that.
2016-5-8
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

anthonytori Posted at 2016-5-7 18:12
I like the close view of the bridge so going to try that next time I head out there.! You think it ...

Anthony,

I don't think I'd chance going under it in GPS mode, too much steel for me. You could easily do it in ATTI mode.

Jerry
2016-5-8
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

anthonytori Posted at 2016-5-8 14:54
I was thinking the same thing, but not sure what setting would make it more smooth?  I've tried th ...

Have a look at This Thread
2016-5-8
Use props
anthonytori
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-5-8 09:08
Anthony,

I don't think I'd chance going under it in GPS mode, too much steel for me. You could ea ...

Thanks! Wasn't sure, but will do it in ATTI if I do!
2016-5-8
Use props
anthonytori
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-5-8 09:17
Have a look at This Thread

This is why I always ask for feedback! Didn't even know these settings could be changed. Or that you can make your sticks longer. Will be practicing with the settings he recommended as soon as the weather clears up.
2016-5-8
Use props
phantom-four.co
lvl.2

Netherlands

Loved the footage. One thing that struck me though is that half the time your cuts appear to ignore the cues in the music entirely. Following those cues generally makes a clip appear to flow more smoothly. In your vid the cuts at 5,16,21,31,43,1.09 are much smoother for me as they line up with musical cues. Same for the flyaway at the end. The other cuts take that smoothness away again for me.

Still really enjoyed watching this though.
2016-5-9
Use props
LordNeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 548212 ft
Chile

The video was almost perfect. If you want tips, here's my 2 cents:

1.- Disable VPS while flying low/close to water. It tries to correct position most of the time doing weird stuff (00:56).
2.- Don't speedup shots where people are moving, it looks odd, do the shot faster and increase the FPS to keep it smooth.
2016-5-9
Use props
gwood123
lvl.1
Flight distance : 66857 ft
United States

i thought it was great.   there was one shot that i wish had been about 2 seconds longer about 2/3 through the video.  it was when you were filming the river and bridge.   A boat started entering the frame from the bottom then immediately cut to another scene.   I would like to see the boat travel up the river for a few seconds later.  or do the cut a second before so the boat is not in the frame at all.    hope i explained it.    again,  fantastic video.   great job.

edit:  i just checked.  the part of the video i am referring to is around 42 seconds.

gw
2016-5-9
Use props
anthonytori
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

gwood123 Posted at 2016-5-9 08:10
i thought it was great.   there was one shot that i wish had been about 2 seconds longer about 2/3 t ...

I know! I almost didn't put that clip in because I was a fool and ended recording just as the boat was coming in so 100% agree with you. I usually apply the keep recording for 10 seconds when you think you're done rule, but failed this time .
2016-5-9
Use props
anthonytori
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

LordNeo Posted at 2016-5-9 07:49
The video was almost perfect. If you want tips, here's my 2 cents:

1.- Disable VPS while flying low ...

I didn't know you can turn VPS off. Was reading you have to switch to ATTI mode?
2016-5-9
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice video..

What was it edited in and also the export settings.. Youtube normally kills video but this is smoother than a Silk Worms silky bits..
2016-5-9
Use props
anthonytori
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

sploodge Posted at 2016-5-9 09:53
Nice video..

What was it edited in and also the export settings.. Youtube normally kills video but  ...

I edited it in Final Cut and exported straight to YouTube within Final Cut.
2016-5-9
Use props
LordNeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 548212 ft
Chile

anthonytori Posted at 2016-5-9 11:41
I didn't know you can turn VPS off. Was reading you have to switch to ATTI mode?

Yup, switching to ATTI is faster, but there is an option (P3P) to disable VPS on GPS mode too.
2016-5-9
Use props
mrbill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 717100 ft
United Kingdom

Can someone re-post the tips for smoother moves? Seems the original poster has since been banned and all his posts are now no longer visible
2016-6-3
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

You know there's a thread for posting your videos right? I was the first one to respond to this original thread. Your settings, video, shots, everything is above par. You already have this down. Please don't waste our time looking at non-existent problems.
2016-6-4
Use props
anthonytori
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-6-4 07:52
You know there's a thread for posting your videos right? I was the first one to respond to this orig ...

You also told me I didn't need any tips and I was showing off. Other people actually provided valuable advice on here and Instagram. I was able to change settings to make panning smoother and someone recommended picking up PoloarPro ND filters for better day shots. Some people are complacent with mediocrity. That's not me. So, I'll continue to learn how I do and you can stick to your ways. If you feel like my threads are a waste of time then block me or don't read them. I post what I learn and make because there are other people who learn like me. That's who I post for.
2016-6-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules