Moire & Aliasing
1081 4 2016-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
visualab
lvl.1

Italy

On a computer screen there is no Aliasing nor Moire but a TV screen will reveal a lot of both even shooting -2 sharpness.
2016-5-7
Use props
rj74
lvl.3
  • >>>
France

The original file does not have aliasing as you say. Your computer has a CPU/graphics card to handle the playback and match to your monitor and you can also view at 100% on a computer monitor so there's no scaling artifacts, but on a TV it is scaled to fit and the pixels don't match exactly which causes aliasing. Also you don't know what your TV is doing to the image, it may be binning a lot of the data, it depends on your TV.
TVs are designed to accept a specific broadcast standard image, so best to edit the movie and output to a TV standard input so it doesn't alias e.g. HD DVD.

2016-5-7
Use props
visualab
lvl.1

Italy

rj74@me.com Posted at 2016-5-7 21:15
The original file does not have aliasing as you say. Your computer has a CPU/graphics card to handle ...

Thanks for your replay, I'll give you some more details..
I shot 1080p 25, imported the clips in Premiere Pro created a timeline with the same specs and played back to a Full Hd broadcast Sony monitor trough a Matrox i/o device set 1080 psf output via SDI. I believe that there shouldn't have been any scaling that could cause the artefact but for sure the images are unwatchable, all those thin lines messing around.. Adding +2,5 Gaussian blur in the vertical lines will help but the image gets too soft if you consider that the shooting was done already setting a -2 sharpness value.

Thanks
2016-5-7
Use props
rj74
lvl.3
  • >>>
France

visualab Posted at 2016-5-7 22:03
Thanks for your replay, I'll give you some more details..
I shot 1080p 25, imported the clips in  ...

Ok, sorry, I thought you were just playing the SD card into the TV.
Sounds like and I/O issue, but you could burn the project to DVD as a test
2016-5-7
Use props
visualab
lvl.1

Italy

rj74@me.com Posted at 2016-5-7 22:22
Ok, sorry, I thought you were just playing the SD card into the TV.
Sounds like and I/O issue, but ...

Unfortunately its not a i/o issue because footage from different device with the same specs on this timeline play well. I though the Osmo has an internal bad downscaling algorithm from native 4k and I shot 4k, downscaled 1080 but didn't help either. I'm afraid its just lack of a low pass filter in front of the sensor meaning that there is no fix for this version of Osmo.
Good for internet distribution, not really for tv broadcast.
2016-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules