Car Charger Does Not Work above 15V DC!
1579 7 2016-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tedrosenberger
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23665 ft
United States

Hello.  I was excited to receive the new Osmo Battery Extender .   I pilot real airplanes and real helicopters so i want to power my OSMO off "ship power".  Most airplanes and helicopters, including mine, have 24V electrical systems.

Today, I tried the DJI car charger in my helicopter and it does not work at 24V.  I took the charger to my avionics shop and we verified on the bench that the DJI car charger only works with 12V to 15.5V DC input.  At higher input Voltages, the green light on the charger goes out and the output goes to 0 in spite of the label saying that it can take 13V/26V inputs.  

DJI did I order the wrong charger or is this a defect?

thanks,

Ted

DJI Car Charger showing 13V/26V

DJI Car Charger showing 13V/26V
2016-5-8
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

The Osmo external battery extender is designed to connect to external power sources such as a 'dedicated DJI charger' or 'Intelligent Battery'. It is designed to prolong the operating time.
The car charger you will have is for the Inspire or the Phantom. The output of the standard osmo battery charger is 12.6V , 1.2A
Nevertheless as for the car charger you have it should have a  input of 13V/26V as your pic shows?unsure...
2016-5-8
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello!
The DC Input for Phantom Car Charger kit (Model: C4S90-4) should be: 12.3-16 V (Sedan); 25-30 V (Coach) So, if the DC output of your electronical system is 24V, it can't work normally with the car charger.
Please refer to this website for relevant specification (OVERVIEW): http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-4-car-charger-kit

If you have any other problem, please contact us freely. Thanks!
2016-5-8
Use props
tedrosenberger
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-9 00:18
Hello!
The DC Input for Phantom Car Charger kit (Model: C4S90-4) should be: 12.3-16 V (Sedan); 25-30 ...

Adela:

What is the "Coach" version?   A different 24V version of the car charger?   If so, how do I order that model?   Please clarify and get back to me!
2016-5-9
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

tedrosenberger Posted at 2016-5-9 19:23
Adela:

What is the "Coach" version?   A different 24V version of the car charger?   If so, how do ...

Hi,
The "Coach" means the large automobile which can provide a DC output of 25V-30V.
2016-5-9
Use props
tedrosenberger
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-10 02:29
Hi,
The "Coach" means the large automobile which can provide a DC output of 25V-30V.

Adela:   PLEASE ANSWER MY ACTUAL QUESTION!    Why doesn't the standard car charger work in a large automobile (or airplane) that puts out 28V?   I have bench tested the Phantom 4 car charger at 24V and IT DOES NOT WORK.  The same charger works fine at 12V to 15V.  So is there a different model for "coach" or not?   Please check with the engineers.  Thank you!
2016-5-10
Use props
Henry Mo-Yung
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

tedrosenberger Posted at 2016-5-10 21:50
Adela:   PLEASE ANSWER MY ACTUAL QUESTION!    Why doesn't the standard car charger work in a large ...

As DJI-Adela previously advised, the DJI Phantom 4 car charger works within the 2 specified input voltage ranges only:-

Specifications
Product Model: C4S90-4
DC Input: 12.3-16 V (Sedan); 25-30 V (Coach)
DC Output: 17.4 V; 5.17 A; 90 W

In the situation as mentioned in your original post, the DJI car charger could not be functional under such input voltage of 24 V. Such input voltage was interpreted as an already-discharged voltage of a 12-cells lead acid coach battery. This is one of the safety features of the DJI Phantom 4 car charger by design of DJI - "It comes with low-voltage protection and overheating protection which automatically cut off charging if your starting battery voltage is too low or cigarette lighter port exceeds a certain temperature."

You asked in your last post why it doesn't work in a large automobile (or airplane) that puts out 28V, which is within the workable voltage range.  Your DJI Phantom 4 car charger may be defective if you experienced this.

2016-5-10
Use props
tedrosenberger
lvl.2
United States

Ok thank you Henry - that is a more understandable answer.  I was testing the charger off 24V helicopter battery power without the helicopter engine running.   With the engine running, you get 28V.   On battery power with no generator or alternator charging the battery, as in any coach car, you get 24V.
In the future, it would be nice to have this work at 11.5V and 23.5V since you might want to power an OSMO off a car battery without the car running!

Thanks,

Ted

2016-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules