Using an Inspire 1 on a survey ship in Arctic Circle
627 2 2016-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
seapeterwilliam
New

United Kingdom

Hi - I am looking to use my Inspire 1 well up in the Arctic Circle. My concerns are for the compass calibration on a metal ship and compass deviation. If anyone who has used an Inspire from the deck of a moving survey vessel before has any advice, I would be really greatful.

Peter

2016-5-9
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3

Peter,

That's a really good question and one I haven't thought about honestly. As far as compass calibration goes that far North it "shouldn't" be a problem but don't take my word for it. Metal ship is another concern along with all the electronics on the ship. You'll know if it calibrates correctly or not. If not I personally wouldn't take off. I'm sure you already know this but set the craft to return to the controller and not the home point otherwise you might be swimming back a bit to retrieve it. Sorry I couldn't give any better answers. Hopefully someone on here will that knows much more about this subject.
2016-5-9
Use props
info
lvl.3
Flight distance : 647034 ft
United States

seapeterwilliam

We shoot A LOT of content for various boat/yacht manufacturers and have taken off from just about every type of surface, vehicle, situation and conditions you can think of.

I recommend doing the following:
1) calibrate your compass off of the boat (ex. at the dock, on a glacier, on a dingy, whatever is made available to you)
2) Use the catch and release method for take-off and landings. If you are going to be on a steel boat, this is going to be your only option. Your assistant will likely need to release holding it as high above his/her head as possible. Also, I always take off in Atti mode for this type of operation.
3) Make sure your batteries are kept warm prior to flight. Get the DJI battery warmer and also make sure your batteries are always warm, fully charged and healthy (check voltage) prior to flight. Cold conditions bring out the worst in Lipos, so you will need to keep a close eye on your battery status before and during operations.

Let me/us know if you have any further questions. What you are wanting to do is absolutely possible, you just have to do it right.
2016-5-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules