Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI OSMO Time Lapse Issue
8067 36 2016-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
davidcwong888
lvl.1

Canada

DJI OSMO X3
OSMO Firmware v1.6.2.10

Anyone else get this problem where the Gimbal drifts and Woobles?

It also appears that it tries to correct itself.

Example Time Lapse Video taken during the day outside with minimal and close to non-existant wind @ 3 Second Intervals - Shutter set to Auto - Shooting in JPEG and Video

DJI OSMO was set on the DJI Tri-Pod and securely placed in and placed in locked position.

Bummer that the DJI OSMO only does Time Lapse in 1280*720 30fps

I also found the battery straight out of the charger with a full charge lasts 45 minutes during the Time Lapse before it's totally drained and I have 3 DJI OSMO batteries and they all last the same amount of time.

My Video of the Issue...

===

2016-5-9
Use props
davidcwong888
lvl.1

Canada

DJI OSMO Time Lapse #2

After Powering Down DJI OSMO - Taking Battery Out - Placing it Back in - Reformat Micro SD Card - Auto Calibrate OSMO.

Micro SD Card is a SanDisk Extreme Plus 32GB bought instore from B&H Photo.

Test #2
This is the Result...

===
2016-5-9
Use props
derekoneill99
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Yes I also have this  issue with time lapse
2016-5-9
Use props
davidcwong888
lvl.1

Canada

DJI OSMO Time Lapse Issue #3

Test #3

I turn off the DJI OSMO - After 1 hour - 1 hour 30 minutes - I Auto Calaibrate the DJI OSMO - Placed in Fully Charged DJI OSMO Battery

Not as bad as the Second Video - A lot better than the First Video - But still the Gimbal is Wobbling...

Anyone else how this issue?

What do I do next to get this Fixed?

===
2016-5-9
Use props
davidcwong888
lvl.1

Canada

derekoneill99 Posted at 2016-5-9 23:52
Yes I also have this  issue with time lapse

Did you report it?

What was the response?

Hey DJI...  Is there a fix for this or is this the best it gets doing Time Lapses with the DJI OSMO?

2016-5-9
Use props
derekoneill99
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

No I have not reported it yet. Mine is not as bad as yours. I recorded time lapse for an hour and it correct itself twice
2016-5-9
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Thank you all for the feedback!
This issue has been reported to our engineers and we'll keep improving this problem to the most in the future!

Thanks for your understanding!
2016-5-9
Use props
davidcwong888
lvl.1

Canada

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-10 10:57
Thank you all for the feedback!
This issue has been reported to our engineers and we'll keep improvi ...

My question is...

Is this Normal or is my DJI OSMO Defective?

I've posted all of my Time Lapse Videos in the Thread where you can see what's happening...
The videos are straight out of the camera...

Is this Normal?

Is there a way to lock the Gimbal when doing Time Lapses?

When you state in the Future...  Does that mean in future firmware or the future and next version of the DJI OSMO?

2016-5-10
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

davidcwong888 Posted at 2016-5-10 19:27
My question is...

Is this Normal or is my DJI OSMO Defective?

If you wanna get better stable images while shooting Timelapse, you may just lock the gimbal of the Osmo if the beep sound wouldn't bother you..I think you unit is OK if there's any other problem, please just don't worry.

About any update for this issue, we would keep you informed on our official website.
2016-5-10
Use props
davidcwong888
lvl.1

Canada

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-10 20:04
If you wanna get better stable images while shooting Timelapse, you may just lock the gimbal of th ...

Ok...

I'll try that and see how it works out...

But still it's not a resolution as I see I'm not the only one with this issue...

What's the word for this to be fixed properly?

Firmware Update can fix this?

Or is this the way it's supposed to work?

2016-5-10
Use props
davidcwong888
lvl.1

Canada

BTW...

Since we are on the subject ot Time Lapse Issue with the DJI OSMO...

What's the Time Allocation for the Battery when doing a Time Lapse?

I get 40 - 45 minutes tops at 3 second intervals...

Thanks...
2016-5-10
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

davidcwong888 Posted at 2016-5-10 20:21
BTW...

Since we are on the subject ot Time Lapse Issue with the DJI OSMO...

Without the WiFi connection, the tested Maximum time allocation for a fully charged battery while recording is about 70-80 minutes. It may vary from situation to situation.
If you wanna prolong the duration of the battery, I'll advise you to use the battery extender, please read this thread: http://forum.dji.com/thread-49176-1-1.html
2016-5-10
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

davidcwong888 Posted at 2016-5-10 20:18
Ok...

I'll try that and see how it works out...

Any further feedback would be appreciated!
About how to fix or improve the situation, I'm sorry I can't give you an exact answer. I believe our engineers!
2016-5-10
Use props
jeffmoltenberry
lvl.1

United States

davidcwong888 - At least every other day you see someone frustrated with the Osmo's timelapse capabilities. It's far from what professionals would deem acceptable and hope DJI can fix with firmware update. Until then, I plan to use my DSLR.

I hardly have any wobbling with the 720p video the Osmo generates because it stabilizes it. I would prefer 1080p and higher though. I see the camera wobble using the JPEG images through DJI Media Maker and LRTimelapse.

Good luck!
2016-5-10
Use props
davidcwong888
lvl.1

Canada

jeffmoltenberry Posted at 2016-5-10 21:12
davidcwong888 - At least every other day you see someone frustrated with the Osmo's timelapse capabi ...

+1 on every point you mentioned and thanks for your opinion...
2016-5-10
Use props
davidcwong888
lvl.1

Canada

Ok...

I reset the DJI OSMO...

Redid all the trouble shooting I listed above with the exception of turning off the mic and recording the time lapse in Video only and took it off JPEG & Video

This is the result and I guess that's as good as it gets...

MTL Life
https://www.instagram.com/p/BFd0inCDPW6

MTL Sky
https://www.instagram.com/p/BFes84kjPS6

Still slightly drifting and recorrecting itself but it's a lot better than before...

I'll find time to upload to YouTube another time...

Hope DJI comes out with a Gimbal Lock in the next Formware because locking the Gimal and having the Beeping Sound go off is not a Real Solution...

===
2016-5-16
Use props
davidcwong888
lvl.1

Canada

davidcwong888 Posted at 2016-5-17 00:42
Ok...

I reset the DJI OSMO...

2016-5-17
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

davidcwong888 Posted at 2016-5-18 01:21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyhhH_PgrEs

Thanks for all of those kind feedback and videos.
I hope you'll enjoy the Osmo.
2016-5-17
Use props
davidcwong888
lvl.1

Canada

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-18 14:07
Thanks for all of those kind feedback and videos.
I hope you'll enjoy the Osmo.

Well I'd still like to see a feature to lock the gimbal in the next firmware...

I'm an amateur but I'll deal with the issue for now...

Thanks...

I have to say that the DJI OSMO works ok in the dark with X3 Camera...

2016-5-18
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

davidcwong888 Posted at 2016-5-18 20:54
Well I'd still like to see a feature to lock the gimbal in the next firmware...

I'm an amateur b ...

Thanks again!
I am also expecting our products would go up to a higher standard.
2016-5-18
Use props
davidcwong888
lvl.1

Canada

Damn It....

Again...

DJI Please include Gimbal Lock on the Next Firmware....

2016-5-24
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

We'll always try to improve it to the most.

Thanks for your tests and feedback. Your continuous support will be highly appreciated.
2016-5-24
Use props
awollenh
lvl.1

btw. got the same problem. I recalibrate the osmo and test it now again.
2016-6-16
Use props
awollenh
lvl.1

No Luck. Reset, Calibration, Nothing helps. Wobble still exists
2016-6-28
Use props
JD约翰先生
lvl.1

United States

Dude, been informing DJI about this problem since inception (aka when I bought it 4-5months ago).

I have problems with the Osmo losing the horizon while LOCKING the gimbal and walking/moving, as well as problems with the Osmo drifting while LOCKING the gimbal in a static position. I've had to do major work on the side to counter these problems, and it's only for my love of the product/brand that I haven't started cursing at DJI in forums.

Hope they solve this problem soon, but i've already upgraded firmware twice since inception, and I saw very little improvements...
2016-6-30
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, currently we suggest customers lock the gimbal physically and place it on a tripod when they want to shoot time lapse videos.  We're improving our firmware and reducing the wobbling effect.

Thank you.
2016-7-4
Use props
CraigAR
New
Flight distance : 89 ft
United States

Thanks for posting on this issue! I have been very pleased with what I have been getting with my Osmo until I started attempting to use it for time lapse. We have been having some great thunderheads develop and as I tried to time lapse with the Osmo (3 sec for an hour) I was shocked when I played it back. It was completely unusable because of the drifting and correcting. Went back and tried several more times, with different settings, but the same thing. And I completely agree that locking the gimbal IS NOT THE ANSWER! I certainly thought it was just mine (of course) until I got here. Until they come up with a fix, I will go back to my 'ol reliable DLSR. Thanks again.
2016-8-9
Use props
jurgenjoost
New
Flight distance : 300079 ft
Estonia

I had the same issue. I was wondering why my timelapse is jumpy because Osmo was mounted to the tripod. Hope they fix it soon
2016-8-10
Use props
virtualimagedes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 364826 ft
  • >>>

Wonder if the Litchi app for the Osmo fixes this issue because it can pan while shooting them
2016-8-10
Use props
darkjudicator
Second Officer
Ukraine

This is well known issue. If you want to make nice timelapses you need to keep gimbal locked ignoring that warning beeping. And of course you should not use that out of the box 720p movies proposed by the firmware. I always compose it from JPGs by adobe premiere and do some post processing color corrections. I believe this is what you need to do with every camera (even professional) to make GOOD looking timelapses. And I would not rely on the fix (if it will be introduced) locking the gimbal programmatically. Who knows what may happen with the software logic upon taking a timepapse? An unexpected shift can ruin the whole movie. The only good reason to rely on it if they implement panning.
2016-8-11
Use props
fansc8653db0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2252877 ft
Netherlands

Brand new Osmo+, same issue Time-lapse being one of the main reasons I bought it. Bummed out at the moment!
2016-11-17
Use props
AnyKill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 15968 ft
Brazil

fansc8653db0 Posted at 2016-11-17 20:32
Brand new Osmo+, same issue  Time-lapse being one of the main reasons I bought it. Bummed out at t ...

Same here... Waiting for the fix...
2016-11-17
Use props
jacky72
lvl.1

Spain

I bought osmo +, only for the timelapse {:4_157:}

useless purchase {:4_154:}
2016-11-18
Use props
Elaskanator
New

United States

I have a similar issue, but motion timelapse is perfect (except for the few seconds it keeps recording after it finishes panning and recenters suddenly)!
I don't have the sudden recentering behavior I am seeing in your videos; my sort of slowly rocks back and forth.

P.S. jacky72 and others, buy a tripod you dummies! The Osmo is meant for shooting stable, unfixed position video.
2017-2-5
Use props
skpManiac
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1092589 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Has this been resolved yet ?

Does the Osmo Mobile suffer the same?
2017-2-7
Use props
Designscapetx
New
United States

Why haven't they fixed this yet.  I've had my OSMO for almost 2 years TWO DAMN YEARS. I have given up on you DJI     If you fully lock the GIMBAL your image is rotated 90 degrees and you have to mount your handle system 90 degrees  so the handle is parallel with the ground.   Very rinky dink.  

Tell your engineers to get their asses to work and fix the damn problem. Should be a two week fix not a two year fix.
2017-3-30
Use props
Daniele Cataldi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 30682 ft
Italy

Hi, I have also encountered this problem of instability, not only during the TIMELAPSE, but also in regard to long exposure photos of more than 1 second, which appear to move, say the same thing for the photos 180 and 360 degrees, taken at night, even in this case the photos are all moved and unusable.

I think this is a software problem because when OSMO is on, and blocked by software, you notice that the objects are moving slowly, as if the osmo could not realize this ... not it would have the ability to detect the shift of tenths of a degree, which appear fixed, steady, while the framed image moves imperceptibly. I think it's better to make the software better and provide an adequate update to all the DJI customers, who have spent a lot of money on the purchase of this wonderful device that, however, can not be used to 100%!
2018-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules