Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Raw photos help
1409 14 2016-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mstevens1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1064780 ft
United Kingdom

I have had nothing to do with raw photos before, I have downloaded light ridge but finding a bit complicated at the moment, when I click send photo via email it comes out same size as the standard jpg photo about 4mb the dji raw file is 12mb can the photos be saved higher than 4mb from raw file ?
2016-5-10
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It maybe converts to JPG for email, the max size attachment is usually 10MB ? My RAW stills come in at 17MB.

You are downloading .DNG files from SD card ?
2016-5-10
Use props
nigelw
First Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Not sure about your specific software, but most RAW converters will allow you to specify the jpg quality if you export to, or save as jpg.  By selecting send photo by email, the file will be optimised for email rather than best quality.  So, choose export or save as, then pick the format you want & hopefully the quality setting.
2016-5-10
Use props
mstevens1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2016-5-10 22:26
It maybe converts to JPG for email, the max size attachment is usually 10MB ? My RAW stills come in  ...

Thanks for reply, yes I have downloaded DNG files to pc
2016-5-11
Use props
mstevens1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

nigelw Posted at 2016-5-10 22:55
Not sure about your specific software, but most RAW converters will allow you to specify the jpg qua ...

I will look into the software a bit more
2016-5-11
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Don't feel that you must shoot Raw files.
It's a popular concept on the forums where everyone wants the biggest and fastest SD card, the badass-est carbon fibre props and the best image quality and to shoot everything in4K video.
But, like all of these "biggest and best" options, shooting Raw isn't necessarily what you should be doing.
For most owners, most of the time, there is no need to shoot raw at all.
The Phantom will give you quite good jpg files that are a lot more user friendly.
Unless you are seriously into photography and want to spend a lot of time manipulating images in Photoshop, just use jpg.
2016-5-11
Use props
phantom-four.co
lvl.3

Netherlands

I disagree with labroides. But then, I am a photographer. Contrary to popular believe it doesn't take a lot of time manipulating images in Photoshop or  Lightroom. All you do is drag a couple of sliders and you have a better image then you would have if you had shot jpg. Takes just a couple of seconds. You can spend more time afterward if you want to and improve the image even more. But just a couple of seconds is enough to get a better result.

And yes, I believe you should shoot 4k all the time as well. Mainly for 2 reasons. Technology is improving rapidly and 1080p will soon be obsolete. So shooting 4k future proofs your video. Even if you don't edit in 4k right now you may want to a year (or 2) from now. If you shoot less than 4k you won't be able to go back and rework/use any of your old footage for new projects.

2016-5-12
Use props
nigelw
First Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

phantom-four.co Posted at 2016-5-12 10:16
I disagree with labroides. But then, I am a photographer. Contrary to popular believe it doesn't tak ...

This is pretty much my experience, especially if you set up a good preset as a starting point.

One reason to shoot RAW is in case you get a really nice shot but it's over-exposed slightly.  You have a lot more scope for recovery.  Also, it allows you to expose to the right (ETTR) to reduce noise as much as possible in low-light situations.  These small sensors aren't very forgiving in low light.
2016-5-12
Use props
PhanFran
First Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

phantom-four.co Posted at 2016-5-12 11:16
I disagree with labroides. But then, I am a photographer. Contrary to popular believe it doesn't tak ...

Well I totally agree with you and guess this is the first time I do not agree with Labroides :-)
2016-5-12
Use props
mstevens1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

phantom-four.co Posted at 2016-5-12 10:16

Thanks for the input, can you store the manipulated raw photo at a much higher resolution than the 4mb jpg version to achieve a more detailed version so you can zoom in more before pixelation sets in ?
2016-5-14
Use props
labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

mstevens1@btint Posted at 2016-5-14 23:40
Thanks for the input, can you store the manipulated photo at a much higher resolution than the 4mb ...

Resolution is a measure of the size of the photo in pixels.
The P3/P4 can shoot at a resolution of 4000 x 3000 pixels
Whether you save it as a jpg (compressed) or raw makes no difference to the resolution.
You will see the same pixelation if you overzoom regardless of the file format too.
2016-5-14
Use props
mstevens1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-5-14 14:42
Resolution is a measure of the size of the photo in pixels.
The P3/P4 can shoot at a resolution of  ...

Thanks Lab, probably why when I put a raw photo in lightroom it saved it at about 4mb (first time I had used LR) seems a bit complicated but will use it again
2016-5-14
Use props
labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

mstevens1@btint Posted at 2016-5-14 23:56
Thanks Lab, probably why when I put a raw photo in lightroom it saved it at about 4mb (first time  ...

If you are saving it as a jpg,  that's a compressed format which will explain the 4mb file size.
2016-5-14
Use props
mstevens1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-5-14 15:25
If you are saving it as a jpg,  that's a compressed format which will explain the 4mb file size.

Are there better formats to save too ?
2016-5-14
Use props
labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

mstevens1@btint Posted at 2016-5-15 01:32
Are there better formats to save too ?

It all depends on what you want - different formats for different purposes.
2016-5-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules