Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Aerial 360 photosphere of Catterline, North East Scotland
1057 17 2016-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
davidson_g
Second Officer
Flight distance : 263465 ft
United Kingdom

Taken at Catterline this fine sunny morning. Click on image to see interactive Google Maps version

2016-5-10
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice one again, I have worked in the little white building , just left of centre about 80% up at the junction with the main road
2016-5-10
Use props
davidson_g
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2016-5-10 22:42
Nice one again, I have worked in the little white building , just left of centre about 80% up at the ...

Thank you
A small world! Would that be the telephone exchange?
2016-5-10
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Indeed

Catterline UXD 5B, one of my 'babies' at one time.
2016-5-10
Use props
davidson_g
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2016-5-10 22:55
Indeed

Catterline UXD 5B, one of my 'babies' at one time.

It's a familiar site - I've passed it nearly every week day for 34 years! I'll imagine the equipment inside's changed a lot in that time
2016-5-10
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Did you work for the phone company ?

I've not been in the building now for a few years , and not likely to be again (retired last October).

In that time not a lot had changed, the exchange itself has gone through one or two incarnations, but effectively the same equipment.
2016-5-10
Use props
davidson_g
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2016-5-10 23:32
Did you work for the phone company ?

I've not been in the building now for a few years , and not li ...

I haven't worked for BT but have an interest in many areas of technology.  I remember having a vintage lister gen set out of a very old exchange from Lunan direction, not to mention some very old valve modules from same. Many of the modules were phantom circuits oddly enough! Had more cotton covered jack cables than we knew what to do with. Green tiled building with glass accumulators - a piece of civic pride. Don't make them like they used to
2016-5-10
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

'Phantom Signalling' that's a term I've not heard for 37 years (Techie College Aberdeen ), mostly a generation before my time. I covered the theory but never in practice.
2016-5-10
Use props
davidson_g
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2016-5-11 00:09
'Phantom Signalling' that's a term I've not heard for 37 years (Techie College Aberdeen ), mostly a  ...

Indeed - there were some clever techniques back in the day to squeeze more out of what they had. That was an era where you could get to understand the workings of everything unlike today's black box tech! You were likely aware of Stonehaven radio too, now closed with the end of maritime Morse code.
2016-5-10
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aware of it, but radio was never my speciality. Was also aware of an old repeater station not far from the open swimming pool, was only ever there once or twice. It was defunct when I started.
2016-5-11
Use props
davidson_g
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2016-5-11 09:25
Aware of it, but radio was never my speciality. Was also aware of an old repeater station not far fr ...

As a matter of coincidence, my relatives are currently converting the repeater station near the outdoor pool to a house!
2016-5-11
Use props
Remco
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56381 ft
Netherlands

Please tell us how you managed to make such a nice picture, what software did you use and how did you upload it?
2016-5-11
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice Post. How did you embed the link to Google Maps? Very interesting.
2016-5-11
Use props
davidson_g
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Remco Posted at 2016-5-11 12:03
Please tell us how you managed to make such a nice picture, what software did you use and how did yo ...

Thank you! The image is made from two panoramas, the lower hemisphere taken with the drone and the sky taken with a ground based camera. It's not very easy to do and I'm fortunate that I have a lot of experience shooting ground-based 360 photospheres. The aerial ones have been quite challenging but I enjoy the results.

I use Kolor Autopano Giga for stitching but I'm sure other other software packages like PTGui may work.
The resulting 360 by 180 images are uploaded to Google Maps in the way other photos are.
2016-5-11
Use props
davidson_g
Second Officer
United Kingdom

rodger Posted at 2016-5-11 12:21
Nice Post. How did you embed the link to Google Maps? Very interesting.

Thank you! I visited a Google map page with a thumbnail of my image on it, grabbed the image URL, clicked the "picture" button in the forum and used the image URL I just grabbed.

I then went back to my image in Google maps on opened it to get the interactive photosphere and used the share button to provide the URL to the photosphere.  I then highlighted the image in the forum and clicked on the "Add Link" button and pasted the photosphere "share" URL into it the "link address" box.
2016-5-11
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

davidson_g Posted at 2016-5-11 13:08
Thank you! I visited a Google map page with a thumbnail of my image on it, grabbed the image URL,  ...

Thanks for the reply. I'll let people with talent such as yourself do cool things like that and I will just enjoy your work.
2016-5-13
Use props
davidson_g
Second Officer
United Kingdom

rodger Posted at 2016-5-13 13:09
Thanks for the reply. I'll let people with talent such as yourself do cool things like that and I  ...

You're very welcome - glad you liked my efforts. They take quite an effort to make and it's nice to know they are appreciated
2016-5-13
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

davidson_g Posted at 2016-5-13 11:16
You're very welcome - glad you liked my efforts. They take quite an effort to make and it's nice to ...

You are most welcome. Yes, there is a lot of time involved. The more effort involved equals more time. I do some classes using Keynote. One major class has taken more than a year and it is still ever-changing with Technology.
2016-5-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules