X5 Adaptor on OSMO - HELP! Seriously DJI HELP!!!!
3665 29 2016-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chris
lvl.2

So I got my X5 adapter today. I was thrilled! That only lasted a few minutes. I power it on and it spins around like the gimbal does and does it's check. After about 2 seconds it goes limp! I can see the picture on my iphone and it looks great, but no control!
1.  I call tech support. I wait on hold for 20 minutes. First guy listens to me and then disconnects me. I call back and wait 35 more minutes to talk to someone. While on hold, I notice that it says firmware - Unknown. I finally speak to someone and he tells me to put the firmware on the sd card and when I power it up to hold the trigger and shutter button for 5 seconds and this will force it to reinstall. He says give us a call back if you have any problems. I try it and it does nothing! No forced update.

2. I call tech support again. After my lengthy hold, I get another gentleman and I explain everything again. He tells me I have to put it on the inspire and update it. I say...really? What if I didn't have an Inspire? He said I had to have one. I said, you sell the camera and handle separately and a lot of people probably don't have an Inspire. I told him that I did have one thought. He puts me on hold and comes back and says that I have to put it on the Inspire and update it and assured me that would fix me up. So he hangs up and I do as he says. Now, not only does my Osmo not work...NEITHER DOES MY INSPIRE!! What is going on here!! When I say my Inspire doesn't work, It is doing all kinds of weird things, but oddly enough the gimbal works just fine on it. I tried to update the Inspire firmware thinking I would just start fresh. Nope. Won't update at all. I have tried 6 different SD cards and no go. So now I have about $10,000 in DJI product that I can't even use! Well...actually the X3 still works on the Osmo handle, but that thing just won't cut it quality wise.

Right now I am in dire need for the Osmo to work! I will wait on the Inspire until I have time to beat my head against the wall while figuring that out. I really, REALLY don't want to be told I need to pack it all up and ship it in to be checked out...that ain't gonna be cheap.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE address this unkown firmware issue. I know the X5 works, but it ain't working on the OSMOh. And yes, I have gone through all of the forum here and on others looking for an answer.

Ok...Now I am just ranting (I would like to think of it more as panicing) so I will end. BUT FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY.....HELP!

2016-5-10
Use props
chris
lvl.2

Oh and P.S. - I have a shoot in 5 hours that I REALLY hoped to use this on. I know that ain't gonna happen, but if there is a bat phone or some special pass the line on the phone cue since I spent at least 4 hours of my day on it today, that would be great.
2016-5-10
Use props
simonespadaro
lvl.1

Germany

I think dji , is failing. as a company. there is no other explanation .
2016-5-10
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hi, Chris,
I'm terribly sorry about the situation!
About the firmware upgrade, please read this thread carefully. Please make sure you've download the correct firmware, and you've mounted both the X5 and X5 adaptor on the Osmo, recently, it only supports the upgrade via the SD card.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-50032-1-1.html

For any problem, please let me know.
2016-5-11
Use props
rj74
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ok, basics I know but just to be sure...
Did you do the firmware update with the adaptor, from the SD card with the latest Osmo Pro firmware?
Have you got the bin file on the SD card when you turn the Osmo on?
Have you got a fully charged battery when you turn on the Osmo to update the firmware - it must be fully charged and activated battery. Can you try another fully charged battery to update the firmware?
What does the txt file on the SD card say?
Do the adaptor X5 connectors all connect firmly and correctly and lock correctly?
2016-5-11
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fortunately it sounds like something you can fix with update?
2016-5-11
Use props
chris
lvl.2

United States

I read the thread...all the threads very carefully. I downloaded the correct firmware. I made sure battery was fully charged. I tried 4 different fully charged batteries. I seated and reseated to ensure proper connection. There never shows a .txt file. I went through these steps 100 times.
2016-5-11
Use props
paull
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Unhide folders on your MAC / PC and then go into the MISC folder and show us the LOG file here. I am interested to compare with mine with a case I have open.
2016-5-11
Use props
chris
lvl.2

I hope it can be fixed with an update. That would be awesome! But not feeling to lucky here seeing as how the OSMO and Inspire are both down now.
2016-5-11
Use props
chris
lvl.2

United States

I am heading to my shoot now. I'll have to see if there was a log report at all. It never acted like it was updating once.
2016-5-11
Use props
techevang
New

What a horror story, I feel for you man. DJI really need to sort their stuff out with update integrity. I had some weird issues updateing a second remote so im hardly surprised, but thats no way as bad as this.
I guess there might be some hidden advantage to no retailers haveing the adapter in the UK yet (I dont have mine, so havent even used my OSMO yet).

Hope your shoot goes ok.
2016-5-11
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hi, Chris
In your first post, you said that you can see the pictures in your phone, so you can connect your unit to the DJI GO App, right? Could you please check if there's any abnormal appearance in it? I'd like to have a look at the firmware versions, can you show that to us?
If possible, a video would be more helpful for our analysis.
Thanks for your cooperation!
2016-5-11
Use props
chris
lvl.2

Adela - yes, I can see the video just fine. I spoke with your tech support again earlier today and this time he suggested that I take the X5 plate off the inspire and I put the X3 camera back on the inspire and downgrade my firmware and then do the firmware upgrades again. If you think I should take a video of what it is doing before I go through that downgrade and upgrade process, I would be more than happy to. If so, do you want me to post it here or email you a link? I can do that first thing tomorrow morning.
2016-5-11
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

chris Posted at 2016-5-12 11:04
Adela - yes, I can see the video just fine. I spoke with your tech support again earlier today and t ...

Hi, chris,
If you can show us the problem in a video, please upload the video to Dropbox and tell us the link so that we can download it.

Thanks for your cooperation!
2016-5-11
Use props
chris
lvl.2

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-12 15:19
Hi, chris,
If you can show us the problem in a video, please upload the video to Dropbox and tell u ...

Here is a link to the video showing the OSMO problem. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xfu7dihcztqv9r0/OSMO%20for%20DJI.mp4
2016-5-12
Use props
info
New

United States

OMG! After watching your video, I realized Im having the SAME PROBLEM too. EXACTLY SAME PROBLEM like yours!! I thought there was something wrong with my X5 gimbal. But it works great on Inspire 1.
2016-5-12
Use props
info
New

United States

Never mind, I have updated to the newest firmware and it works great!
2016-5-12
Use props
simonquick
New

Switzerland

I have a similar problem, but now the firmware does even load. The first attempt took about 10mins of flashing and beeping all seemed to be going well, and then full red.After subsequent attempts it required 30 secs then, I a red light and beeping and nothing.
The Firmware in the app says v1.1.0.10 but the camera view doesn't display in my App - I think that is a residue of the first attempt. I have the latest App, I have the latest Camera, the latest adaptor and the latest firmware and a full battery. This is the txt file I get, see attached. I do not have 'an aircraft' to reboot, only an Osmo handle.
I wrote to the aftersales, EU but no reply as yet.

Ideas anyone?

Firmware failure txt file

Firmware failure txt file
2016-5-12
Use props
chris
lvl.2

simonquick@me.c Posted at 2016-5-13 02:29
I have a similar problem, but now the firmware does even load. The first attempt took about 10mins o ...

I couldn't get it to go that far. I tried doing the force firmware update as suggested, but it didn't do anything. You could always try that. I was told to format the card, download latest firmware, put it in the camera and while holding the trigger and the shutter button (not the record button), power it on and hold it for about 5 seconds until it forces the update.
On the other hand...you might want to wait and see what they say about yours. I would hate for it to be something that is done out of order and it makes it worse.  I wish they could just do an update much like you do a computer when upgrading to a new operating system. Have the firmware be smart enough to go in and start from scratch to make sure it is a fresh install. I think it would eliminate the problems of you should do this or that or not have this on while this is on, etc.
2016-5-12
Use props
chris
lvl.2

So....because I really want to use this on the shoot and haven't hear back anything, I did more digging around the forum and ran across the topic someone posted about firmware and saw the engineers suggested downloading a firmware update (that hasn't been released) to fix that issue. I tried that and my X5 is now working!!!  I don't think it is 100% in that the auto focus doesn't seem to work unless you tap on the screen where you want it to focus. You move from that object to another and it doesn't continue to focus. Nonetheless...I am thrilled that I have the chance to use it for my shoot tomorrow!  The link to that firmware is https://www.dropbox.com/s/ij81xg ... 1.01.00.20.bin?dl=0
2016-5-12
Use props
wto6071
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Hi, Chris, I wonder with you can help.
I get exactly the same situation as in your shown video. No matter how I changed batteries (full 100%), formatted SD card, (I use 64G ), I cannot get it formatted.
The camera swing around, then lowered its head, then I heard D.DD, thats all. I checked the SD card afterwards, it even did not show the txt file, the only file is the bin file.
I downloaded the latest version of everything. But one thing I noticed is that when I received the X5 adaptor, the connecting points (2 points) seemed burnt out or rusted like.
(see attached photo). Appreciated with you can help.  
2016-5-13
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>

chris Posted at 2016-5-13 06:25
So....because I really want to use this on the shoot and haven't hear back anything, I did more digg ...

The autofocus works but its not fast. This is not a camera that has a strong tracking autofocus if you are focusing on moving subjects that travel from far to near or v.v. rapidly. The X5 was designed for aerial work, mostly wide angle views. If you want sharp tracking focus, you'll probably need the pro focus system they sell. Otherwise, stick with the X3.
Can you do other readers a favor and modify the title now that you have found a solution to your problem.

The updating process on the Osmo (whether X3 or X5 or X5R) is slower than that on the aircraft and premature termination (I suspect this happened or you would have had a log file written earlier) leads to a 'hung update' which can be tricky to fix as you discovered. Important to many readers who have problems: BE PATIENT.
2016-5-14
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

chris Posted at 2016-5-12 22:39
Here is a link to the video showing the OSMO problem. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xfu7dihcztqv9r0/OS ...

Thanks for your video and your further attempts!
Sorry that I just resume to work today, but It's great that you got your problem fixed.

This issue may just happen to a few users, we've tracked out the cause and our engineers provided the new bin file for solving the problem. It's just an accident of firmware issue in several X5 cameras. No more need to worry about it.

2016-5-14
Use props
chris
lvl.2

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-5-14 22:39
The autofocus works but its not fast. This is not a camera that has a strong tracking autofocus if  ...

Mike - Thanks for your response.  I think it may be that work around not released firmware update that I used that is making the auto focus an issue. It doesn't track focus at all...not even at a snails pace. I am definitely looking into the pro focus system. I was able to use it at NAB and it was great. But it looks like they don't have the cable out yet for it to work. The one they had at NAB was working great.

As for modifying the title, I am open to suggestions. I guess the way I look at it is everyone who has purchased and OSMO and an X5 adapter needs to know that there is urgency in the problems we are facing. In my case, I had two DJI techs tell me different things and one of the things they told me completely locked up my Inspire (of which I have not had a chance to chase that problem yet). I then shot and uploaded the video for DJI and others to see so they could compare and ultimately, I just got lucky by trying an unreleased firmware update that was posted on a unrelated subject. So, I am not trying to be difficult and am willing to change it if there is something you think may help others. The reality is...we have all spent A LOT of money on DJI product and we just want some answers...honest answers. I would rather be told to hold off because we screwed up with the OSMO and X5 rather than spend two days of time on hold with support only to create more troubles for myself following "try this" approaches. I just hope my thread helps at least a couple people.
2016-5-17
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

wto6071@bigpond Posted at 2016-5-14 09:10
Hi, Chris, I wonder with you can help.
I get exactly the same situation as in your shown video. No m ...

Hi wto6071,
About the Osmo Pro firmware upgrade issue, may I know if you've solved it successfully? Is everything going well up to now.

Thanks.
2016-5-31
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

simonquick@me.c Posted at 2016-5-13 02:29
I have a similar problem, but now the firmware does even load. The first attempt took about 10mins o ...

Hello, simoquick
Sorry for the late reply.
May I know the further feedback about the mentioned upgrade issue?
Have you fixed it?

Thanks.
2016-5-31
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

chris Posted at 2016-5-18 06:47
Mike - Thanks for your response.  I think it may be that work around not released firmware update  ...

Hi chris,
Could you please try to re-upgrade the firmware of your Inspire and send me the hidden Log file in the SD card after the upgrade?
According to your former description, the problem of your Inspire just arose after the attempts of firmware upgrade or downgrade, right?

Any more details would be appreciated.

Thanks.
2016-6-1
Use props
chris
lvl.2

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-6-1 18:29
Hi chris,
Could you please try to re-upgrade the firmware of your Inspire and send me the hidden L ...

Correct. The Inspire 1 with the X5 was just fine on it until they told me to start downgrading. All I would get is yellow lights on the aircraft at that point. I will try it again as soon as I get a chance and let you know.
2016-6-1
Use props
chris
lvl.2

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-6-1 18:29
Hi chris,
Could you please try to re-upgrade the firmware of your Inspire and send me the hidden L ...

I spoke with tech support earlier today about my inspire problem. I was very appreciative of the attentiveness to the issue and after several work arounds, my inspire seems to be back up and running. Well...with the exception of my slave remote and it seems that the USB port has quit working and has to be sent back. Ugh...just out of warranty. Nonetheless, I am 90% back up and running.
2016-6-1
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

chris Posted at 2016-6-2 13:04
I spoke with tech support earlier today about my inspire problem. I was very appreciative of the a ...

Thanks for your feedback.
I'm happy to know that your Inspire resume work now.
May I know what you did to fix the problem?
Sorry about your slave remote controller, if its USB port really malfunction, I'm afraid you have to return it for repair. Since it's out of warranty, you can send it in firstly, if there happens any repair fee after checking by our technicians, you'll have the right to decide if you want to proceed the repair or just give up.

Good for you.
2016-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules