Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 3 Gimbal twichtes when flying sideways
2097 13 2016-5-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sebb
First Officer
Flight distance : 498199 ft
  • >>>
Canada

New P3P owner here.

took the copter out 2x and all seemed fine. Not sure if something happened afterwards or if I was just lucky, but starting with 3rd flight i noticed the following:
whenever I fly sideways the gimbal starts to 'give in' and twitches in the roll axis.

See here. I slowsly transition from forward to sideways flight and when getting to a certain point, the gimbal starts to twitch.
https://www.skypixel.com/videos/phantom-3-gimbal-twitch
https://www.skypixel.com/videos/phantom-3-gimbal-twitch

Firmware is 1.8.0, IMU & gimbal calibrated, happens equally with ios or android tablet.

Anyone got any ideas?? :/

Thanks,
Sebastian
2016-5-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Have you removed the piece of packing foam behind the gimbal?
2016-5-11
Use props
Tintin007

Ecuador

I've got the exact same problem with my P3Pro
I've take it back to the shop and once I've put it onto the table to "show" the problem, it was gone and since zippo.

But I swear that I got footages like yours and since I know more my drone now, I've loaded old video of the begining of my flight carreer and found some with this issue.

I think now, and that must be prooved, that if you power the P3 while it's not standing still on the floor the gimbal may mis-calibrate itself at bootup and maybe that causes that.

2016-5-11
Use props
Kneepuck
Captain
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Yes,  as First Officer Geebax said. Also, have you ensured the video is in Follow mode rather than FPV mode?  Because in FPV mode,  the camera will stay parallel to the drone in turns.
2016-5-11
Use props
Sebb
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-5-11 22:45
Yes,  as First Officer Geebax said. Also, have you ensured the video is in Follow mode rather than F ...

Gimbal is clear.. cant see any packing material.

and yes it is in Follow mode, not FPV.

2016-5-11
Use props
QuadBart
Second Officer
Flight distance : 256506 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't have an answer for you. But mine will do that every now and then, but not with "sideways movement" but with forward and reverse.  I'll shut it off and turn it on and its gone.  Mine has never been crashed. Has the latest firmware and seems to have happened after a two firmware updates ago...
2016-5-12
Use props
Tintin007

Ecuador

The tech guy a the store tells me that hence the firmware where at the right version, he had all the firmware "reupdated" and since then I didn't had any problem, but still I'm making sure too that I'm powering it up it in a "stand still" position and not touching it as long as the calibration of the gimbal is finished.  So don't know if the ReUpdate thing makes a changes.

So start by reapplying your firmware all over the place (RC, Drone, Gimbal)

Good luck
2016-5-12
Use props
manatas2
lvl.3

Lithuania

Sebb Posted at 2016-5-12 09:15
Gimbal is clear.. cant see any packing material.

and yes it is in Follow mode, not FPV.

I'm not sure, but do you tried calibrating drone gimbal ?
2016-5-12
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello Sebb,it looks like a issue of gimbal motor or gimbal ESC. I'd suggest you to contact our service center in North America for diagnosis. Here is the contacting info: 捕获.JPG
2016-5-13
Use props
Sebb
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-5-13 10:25
Hello Sebb,it looks like a issue of gimbal motor or gimbal ESC. I'd suggest you to contact our servi ...

Hi Paladin,

the gimbal is fresh out of repair from DJI USA.

2016-5-16
Use props
Sebb
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

UPDATE - 90% better now

2 things I did
1. another cold IMU and compass calibration
2. notice that the 2nd custom button was set to toggle follow/fpv, so even though it was set to follow in app, it may have gotten activated thru button.

since then i have had 5 flights. 4 were perfect, but on #3 it happened again!

So, almost gone, but still confused about real cause.

2016-5-16
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Captain

I had a similar issue with my P3P yesterday, and I've seen it once before on this particular bird. Might need to send it in. I know it's not the Water Tower I'm circling, because I've (again) got a clip somewhere of it doing this before. I sat down the day before yesterday and updated the firmware on both bird and RC, then calibrated the IMU. Everything checked out fine, so I charged everything up and packed it up for yesterday.
In the video (I made it as short as I could), it will start at about 4', then climb a little and turn 180 degrees. That's when the Gimbal starts going nutty. It will FF to after I had set up POI and then turned it on. As soon as I turned it loose, the gimbal worked fine! FF to stopping the POI 'autopilot'. Boom! It goes nutty again. It's odd that it seemed to work fine when it faced the other direction. I was not far from where I normally fly, so I didn't calibrate the compass. The app said it was OK. I checked all my settings. My configurable buttons are "Not Configured". It is in "Follow" not "FPV". I just charged up a battery and took it for a walk and it worked fine. If it does it again, it's going back to DJI under warranty!    ....Barney

2016-5-16
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Captain

Sebb Posted at 2016-5-16 23:43
Hi Paladin,

the gimbal is fresh out of repair from DJI USA.

This is not good!?
2016-5-16
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Captain

QuadBart Posted at 2016-5-12 19:11
I don't have an answer for you. But mine will do that every now and then, but not with "sideways mov ...

It seems like we're on the same schedule or something. {:4_157:} If I see it happen again, I'll shut it off and start over as you recommend. I think the DJI guy suggested to start a ticket on it above though. We'll see how it plays out, but I have a few months of warranty left. I've only flown it 4 or 5 times.  Thanks!

Barney
2016-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules