Filter assistance
1390 10 2016-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
matthewrayhaine
lvl.1
Flight distance : 989160 ft

Help, trying to decide between polarpro filters and taco rc. Based on my hours of research most people agree taco rc is the way to go.

They have a few different options, assuming I want multicoated lenses the big question is polarized vs non polarized.

Any assistance you can provide is much appreciated. These darn filters are expensive. Wanting to purchased the most versitile ones out of the gate.
2016-5-12
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Your question is a little confusing.  When you say polarized vs non polarized, are you referring to adjustable ND or non-adjustable ND filters?  I've not heard of an adjustable ND filter that doesn't use polarising filters.  Fixed grade ND filters aren't polarised.
2016-5-12
Use props
matthewrayhaine
lvl.1

nigelw Posted at 2016-5-13 06:19
Your question is a little confusing.  When you say polarized vs non polarized, are you referring to  ...

These are ND polarized.

http://taco-rc.com/taco-rc-doubl ... om-4-free-shipping/
2016-5-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It would be interesting if they are polarised filters, but does the outer ring rotate to adjust them? I find it a a little puzzling as I cannot see the value in a polarising filter when it is up in the air and you cannot adjust it?

I also did not like this statement on their web site:

'Slows Shutter speed for more natural cinematic motion and eliminates jello effect'

An ND filter can mitigate jello effect, it cannot eliminate it altogether. Jello is caused by vibration of the camera, and the only way to eliminate it is to remove the cause of the vibration.
2016-5-12
Use props
taz291819
lvl.1

United States

The Jello-Effect happens with CMOS sensors, and you can get it with a perfectly stable camera doing a pan on a tripod.
2016-5-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

taz291819@gmail Posted at 2016-5-13 09:56
The Jello-Effect happens with CMOS sensors, and you can get it with a perfectly stable camera doing  ...

Actually you cannot. Jello is only caused by vibration, the effect you are talking about is not jello effect, it is a different CMOS artifact.

2016-5-12
Use props
matthewrayhaine
lvl.1

So,i take it I shouldn't get polarized then? These darn filters seem price for an armature that just wanted to to cut down. Overexposure on Sunny days
2016-5-12
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Well there's a thing.  I've never seen polarising ND filters before.  The interesting thing is that polarising filters will also vary the ND effect, usually by 1-2 stops depending on how much you rotate them to get the polarising effect.

Personally, I wouldn't use polarising filters on a lens as wide as the P4 as it can make the sky look weird, with a dark spot surrounded by light areas depending on which way the camera's facing.  That said, you can rotate these to eliminate an polarisation, so you have the choice.

They seem cheap for a polarising filter, especially if they're multi-coated.
2016-5-12
Use props
matthewrayhaine
lvl.1
United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-5-13 13:09
Well there's a thing.  I've never seen polarising ND filters before.  The interesting thing is that ...

Cheap?  Wow am I in the wrong hobby. Ha

I'll go none polarized then. Thanks for your input.
2016-5-13
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 315682 ft
  • >>>
United States

matthewrayhaine Posted at 2016-5-12 19:19
So,i take it I shouldn't get polarized then? These darn filters seem price for an armature that just ...

It depends where you are filming, I personally use our Phantom 4 Cinema Series -Vivid Collection a lot. These are all ND/PL filters. Most of the time I film over water and the Polarizers do a great job reducing glare off the water, they also help with reducing light bouncing off the ground, helping improve color saturation.

Some people do not like the way a polarizer shifts the color of the sky, its all personal preference.

Our filters are nice as they include a Lifetime Warranty and a free Phantom 4 Lens Cover that will fit over the filters when you purchase from our site.

Shoot me an email if you purchase so I can add in the P4 Lens Cover: jeff.overall@polarprofilters.com

Hope that helps!
Jeff
2016-5-13
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

matthewrayhaine Posted at 2016-5-13 16:59
Cheap?  Wow am I in the wrong hobby. Ha

I'll go none polarized then. Thanks for your input.

Your welcome.

The price is probably about right for ND filters, or even polarising filters, but I'd expect to pay more for a combined filter.  Both types are difficult to manufacture without colour casts, so a combination would be even more of a challenge.  Add multicoating & they should in theory sell for much more.

All that said, I'm quite critical over whatever I fit in front of my cameras lenses, knowing that every additional glass surface degrades the image to a greater or lesser degree.
2016-5-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules