Phantom 2 altitude measurement
1293 8 2016-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
saber.sis08
New

United States

Hello good people of the forum,

I am doing an experiment where I have to drop some things from very high up in to a lake. I have decided to use phantom 2 quadcopter, which I already have. The problem is I need to drop the objects from certain heights, but the phantom 2 cannot be connected via wifi with an app or anything. So, I was wondering, could anyone help me with a way to know the approximate height of the P2 at any given time?

Thanks.

2016-5-12
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Protractor and geometry!
2016-5-12
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Could you get an altimeter with a remote readout?
2016-5-12
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello saber, you may need to install the IOSD mini and 5.8G video transmitting unit on your drone and use a monitor.But it costs some money.
2016-5-12
Use props
saber.sis08
New

United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-5-12 21:26
Hello saber, you may need to install the IOSD mini and 5.8G video transmitting unit on your drone an ...

This is a good idea but I read that IOSD Mini works with NAZA-M flight control system, and I dont have NAZA, I have the default Phantom control module that comes with it. Also, as you said, getting all these things is pretty expensive. Do you know of any other way to get the altitude information?
2016-5-12
Use props
saber.sis08
New

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-5-12 21:20
Could you get an altimeter with a remote readout?

I looked into your suggestion. There are some altimeters that can give you remote readout, but they need to be connected to the phone through bluetooth. I will be dropping from as high as 40 meters, bluetooth won't work at that range.
2016-5-12
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

saber.sis08@gma Posted at 2016-5-13 11:56
This is a good idea but I read that IOSD Mini works with NAZA-M flight control system, and I dont  ...

Sorry it seems difficult for me
2016-5-12
Use props
saber.sis08
New

United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-5-12 22:10
Sorry it seems difficult for me

Thanks for your help. Do you know if the IOSD mini can be connected to a phone or something instead of a monitor? I won't be using a camera on the drone, so I don't really care about video feedback. I just need the flight information.
2016-5-12
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

saber.sis08@gma Posted at 2016-5-13 12:17
Thanks for your help. Do you know if the IOSD mini can be connected to a phone or something instea ...

Monitor with AV input is necessary because the IOSD mini could not connect to phone. Besides, I think  Phantom 3 series will make measurement more easier.
2016-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules