Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire 1 attracts people?
1682 28 2016-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jrueth
lvl.3

Hello all,
Just wondering if any inspire pilots have an issue with people stopping, asking questions, or disturbing you?  I can immage people stop an stare but does it ever get distracting?
2016-5-12
Use props
dobmatt
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

By the rule of thumb I don't fly when I expect any hot blooded creature in 250 m radius. In rare situations of unexpected encounter and attempt to start friendly conversation I'll kindly but clearly ask to let me land first. So far no problem, having few nice and long chats after ...
2016-5-12
Use props
Hterag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961978 ft
China

In my experience, people come from miles around to ask questions... Always the same questions... "How much is it?" "How high can it fly?" "Did you buy it in China?" etc. (I'm a British guy in China so they strangely assume I bought it elsewhere, many don't seem to know what DJI is...). The worst part is when parents bring their kids over to be entertained, "Look at the aeroplane, kids! Now I can stare at my phone while you're distracted and jumping up and down!"

It's a lot worse in the spring/summer, barely anyone bothered me in the winter but now it's getting warmer I've had a lot of people shambling over. I don't fly any more for this reason. Well, that and the fact my favourite place now has a huge fence around it. I'm actually trying to sell the Inspire 1...
2016-5-13
Use props
noahaon

United States

Yup. It happens all the time. One guy even asked me if he could touch it. I said no!
2016-5-13
Use props
Donnie
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

They are just curious, My rule of Life is be cool to them and they will be cool to you. Flying these is a piece of cake compared to regular RC, trust me 26 years now been doing this , you can fly and answer questions, do a crossword puzzle, sip a Latte  etc.

have fun - donnie
2016-5-13
Use props
adam1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 326421 ft
United States

Yes all the time! But I really try to give them as much information as I can in order to promote a better portrayal of drones than what they see on the news.  However, I got to get my work done too
2016-5-13
Use props
jrueth
lvl.3

Where do you fly?
2016-5-13
Use props
Jim09
lvl.4
United States

Agree with Donnie ... I too have been flying helicopters and planes for years.  The newer technology in multi rotor drones allows you the opurtunity to converse while flying... Most people are simply just curious so I tend to go out of my way to be as nice and informative as possible... It truest does pay off
2016-5-13
Use props
dobmatt
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Donnie Posted at 2016-5-13 20:45
They are just curious, My rule of Life is be cool to them and they will be cool to you. Flying  ...

Donnie, you're funny, bro ... crossword, yeah ... would you text your wife to get dinner ready too?
2016-5-13
Use props
flighttime1
Captain
Flight distance : 906352 ft
United States

Most interesting to me has been not the 'how much', 'how high' comments I get constantly but the fact that I seem to often run into the 'I fly drones myself' folks.
2016-5-13
Use props
Aeromirage
Captain
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

Lately I try to fly where there is nobody around. But, the bird does draw curious folk. I have had several come find me when they saw it flying and followed it back to me when I land. I try to be polite when people do approach me. When they ask how much it costs, I say "Too much", but that entry level is $500 for a decent starter. (P3 standard)
     I had one guy say that in today's uncertain times, anybody could attach a bomb to a drone and invoke a terrorist attack! Some other people have expressed concerns to me about unauthorized surveillance. I usually show them a picture that I just took demonstrating that the camera cannot peek through windows to spy on people without being awfully close.
     I had a guy ask me once if I was working for Google earth. I guess he thought I was taking satellite pictures.
2016-5-13
Use props
leanlinao
First Officer
Flight distance : 1495906 ft
Philippines

Aeromirage Posted at 2016-5-14 12:32
Lately I try to fly where there is nobody around. But, the bird does draw curious folk. I have  ...

The rx100 camera though has x30 zoom
But still people can protect their privacy by covering the window or their face. Only paranoid people get some roid rage when a drobe is around
2016-5-13
Use props
SAFrankSU
lvl.4
United States

Happens every day to me. Beaches, parks, schools all around the US too. The media puts our equipment in a negative light (mostly because of the very few knuckleheads abusing drones). I've pretty much memorized every question every single person asks. It used to be distracting, but it's second nature to me now. I kind of like it, actually. I consider them my fans.
2016-6-2
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.4

Almost every time I fly where anyone is around. If my wife isn't there to field questions (surprisingly she knows quite a bit about it) then I usually fly with my earphones plugged into the iPad.

This serves two purposes:

1: People "tend" to not ask questions with earphones in your ears (assuming they think you can't hear them I suppose?).

2: I like to be able to hear the prompts if it's noisy outside. The earphones allow me to do that (even though I'm constantly checking the vitals of the craft while in the air).

Once I bring it back then I will take the earphones out and they can ask anything they want. While I'm draining the battery down I'll fly it around for them before landing and explain everything about it. I think it's good for people to understand there are responsible flyers out there. I'll usually explain my method for flying and what I plan to achieve with the flight. Add to that I've got a folding table that folds into a very small package with all my video equipment on it tends to draw a few people every time.

But I usually have my slider, tripod, and DSLR out also to augment my video footage from whatever location I'm flying.

Slider and the DSLR

Quick video of how the slider works. No real editing just testing it out on my truck when I first got the slider.

2016-6-2
Use props
DFWdude4DJI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1505531 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'd wear this tshirt. This answers all their questions.

http://drone-rss.com/2015/01/answers-the-drone-questions-with-a-t-shirt/
2016-6-3
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

DFWdude4DJI Posted at 2016-6-3 09:25
I'd wear this tshirt. This answers all their questions.

http://drone-rss.com/2015/01/answers-the-d ...

LOL you made me laugh... . Yes, you get the how high .. how fast .. how much .. my dad has one bigger than yours....

Rich
2016-6-3
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

It is really up to you and the safety of everyone around you.

Although I agree with Donnie, been doing this a long time and I do not mind people asking me questions. It might be someone that will take this hobby / sport to the next level and become a strong advocate.

I like people and they bring a lot of fun to this enjoyable hobby.... If you are not comfortable flying while others are talking then you should most likely land and then talk.

Rich
2016-6-3
Use props
Tharg (from the
First Officer
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

If people come up and speak to me whilst I am flying I usually scream loudly "It's not doing what it should, I've lost all control, quick it's going to crash land back here where it took off from - RUN".I then normally run about it circles a bit mumbling "I just don't know where is going to be safe"

That normally gets rid of them.

2016-6-4
Use props
IIIDaemon
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-6-5
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

IIIDaemon Posted at 2016-6-5 07:38
...I'm Curious as to why you use a much Larger and Bold Font that 99.9% of everyone else..?

It is just my own unique style ... when you see the text you know it's me ....

donnie

2016-6-5
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

Tharg (from the Posted at 2016-6-4 11:10
If people come up and speak to me whilst I am flying I usually scream loudly "It's not doing what it ...

That is funny....Like my coffee went up my nose and everything .....

donnie
2016-6-5
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

RearViewMirror Posted at 2016-6-3 00:11
Almost every time I fly where anyone is around. If my wife isn't there to field questions (surprisin ...

Could you not improvise with a skateboard and an 8 foot table ?

The setup does look sweet !
donnie
2016-6-5
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.4

Donnie Posted at 2016-6-6 02:51
Could you not improvise with a skateboard and an 8 foot table ?

Not if you want a good smooth video. The slider extents to twice its length with carbon rails that it runs on.

How the slider works for smooth motion.

2016-6-5
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

RearViewMirror Posted at 2016-6-5 20:51
Not if you want a good smooth video. The slider extents to twice its length with carbon rails that  ...

Oh , I get how it works now .... COOL!

Thanks for sharing

donnie
2016-6-6
Use props
DFWdude4DJI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1505531 ft
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-6-4 00:35
LOL you made me laugh...  . Yes, you get the how high .. how fast .. how much .. my dad has one  ...

Yup! You totally get me, right? I don't wear that shirt, however, I do wear a vest that says "FAA Registered UAV Pilot" and then at the bottom it says, "Stand Clear". Now people don't bother me when they see me where that when I fly. They think I'm some official professional pilot. But when they do ask questions, politely would tell them that I can talk to them once I land. And when I do talk to them, I'm polite and would educate them the use of drones, etc. What gets me is the last question is usually "May I fly your drone?". My response is always "No, because I wouldn't want you to be liable for my $5,000 bird". Then I would tell them that they can purchase their own drone and fly it.
2016-6-6
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

DFWdude4DJI Posted at 2016-6-6 12:53
Yup! You totally get me, right? I don't wear that shirt, however, I do wear a vest that says "FAA R ...

I am like you to an extent, but if they are really interested I let them fly it, I just use the old rule of three Mistakes High and that if I want the Transmitter Back - I WANT IT BACK NOW.   I say this with a smile of course.

Donnie
2016-6-6
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DFWdude4DJI Posted at 2016-6-6 10:53
Yup! You totally get me, right? I don't wear that shirt, however, I do wear a vest that says "FAA R ...

Nice response and this sounds perfect to me...  I think the UVA badge is a good idea, I also carry my AMA,  FAA garb and my FAA airmen license in case someone challenges me.

Donnie is nice letting strangers fly his machine. I will not go that far and talk to them about costs and responsibly

Rich
2016-6-6
Use props
Aeromirage
Captain
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

The only one to fly mine besides me was my 17 year old son. And he didn't want to take the controls until it was off the ground and way up in the air.  He also didn't want to land it but insisted on seeing it self-land.
He thought that was 'too cool'!!
2016-6-6
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2016-6-6 17:47
The only one to fly mine besides me was my 17 year old son. And he didn't want to take the controls  ...

Now you can use the coach mode on the master remote and let the slave fly the Inspire.... cool new feature

http://forum.dji.com/thread-54391-1-1.html  

Rich
2016-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules