Help, Drone Drifting after ESC replacement.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
graham.s.oswald
New

Canada

Hello everyone,

I'm new here to both DJI and quadcopter flying, also I am Canadian and one of the (as far as I can tell) few drone flyers in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I recently bought a DJI Phantom Vision 2 Plus (+) and am liking it so far but my current problem is as follows:
Now we have a recent retailer here in Calgary (MultiRotor) who did a great job at replacing the first of 2 ESC's I have burnt out. However when I burnt out the second one, the same day I got the first one replaced, The owner of multirotor had left for christmas vacation to Dubai. This prompted me on a web sized search looking for the proper replacement ESC in which I decided to buy this one Amazon ESC which seems to be the right ESC except the number on the board is different.

The number on the ESC I took out of my Phantom Vision 2 Plus (+) is 1438 which I believe to be a v2.1 ESC
The number on the ESC that I ordered from Amazon is 1433 which I believe to be a v2.0 ESC.

The reason I'm telling you all this is seemingly after I recieved and replaced this ESC with the 1433 ESC board my drone will not stay stationary to the point that it starts drifting and drifting more and more and faster and faster till I completely loose control with the drone and it books it off some way.

Am I right accusing this replacment part for my drone flying off? Or have I done something wrong?

I tried a restore to default but I cant seem to find one, also a basic and advanced IMU calibration, and neither seem to help.

P.s. If your interested, please check out my first flight here on

I have all day to work over, and test some suggested solutions, and over the week at night.
Thank you in advanced,

Ozz.

1438 busted/1433 new

1438 busted/1433 new
2015-1-18
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Have you noticed any different series of beeps when you start up the P2V? I have read somewhere it was not recommended to intermix different versions of the ESC. There are some incompatible versions out there which will change how the red lights come on, on the front of P2V+ after Turning on the Phantom and then actually powering up with the RC...those red lights should only come on steady after you power up the props with the RC..
I would also go on to the Phantom Vision 2+ assistant software and check all of your calibrations, check the values to see they are within recommended ranges as they are listed on the pg.  Make sure you are on a flat surface so your readings are accurate and that the surface your phantom is sitting on is absolutely still.

BTW..Over in Langley, BC and have only seen one other flyer around here in a park last summer..Sweet!...more airspace for me!
2015-1-18
Use props
graham.s.oswald
New

Canada

Hey Northofthe49th,

Thanks for the reply, No there is no different anything when I run the drone, lights all seem the same. sounds good. rpm's look just like the other blades. As for checking everything in the assistant software, the only thing i have not done is take the software and the drone outside at the same time to have the blades idol while connected to a laptop and i do not believe this to be a good idea.

As far as I could tell on the software everything looked in the green, looked like it was supposed to. but yet i still find my drone often out in flyaways.

P.s. YAY Canadians
2015-1-18
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

I would go back into the calibration and look at the "mod" values, they are finicky, and anytime she is hooked up to the computer...take off the props!!
If you replaced a couple of motors, I can only presume/not "assume" you may have had a hard landing and it might have thrown something out of whack...you can easily check the basic calibrations (there are three of them and it will advise if you need to re-calibrate) If that is not it, not sure what to suggest..if you are not sure further, drop me your number and will see what I can come up with...not sure if you can PM on here but If so, let me know.
2015-1-18
Use props
graham.s.oswald
New

Canada

All looks good. I cant take it out for a test flight till this weekend as its night time when i get home. but nothing has really changed. So im not sure what to do next

See pictures for more details. This app, IMO, is terribly designed.
Capture.JPG
2015-1-19
Use props
graham.s.oswald
New

Canada

:@ So i was just outside doing a 7min flight. (yeah i know what i said in my last post) and it was all great till about 5.5 mins in, where i took the drone higher than a street lamp post and it started drifting harder, so i stayed calm did what i could to bring it back to about 5 feet off the ground and couldnt counter it anymore where it drifted (i believe) left into a tree...again. No damage whew. but its still not staying stationary for longer than 5 mins.

This was switching between gps and allti mode....sigh, I dont know what to do. I wanna get the super high shots of my city and mountain sides...but if i cant trust it 35 feet from the ground...how the hell am i supposed to do that?

Unfortuantly the video footage, and proof of it just booking one direction seems corrupt...(possibly because the battery poped out) its just showing a stright grey screen when trying to play with VLC.
2015-1-19
Use props
applekiller
lvl.3
Flight distance : 138458 ft
Canada

HI Ozz,

Where did you get the info regarding 1433 vs 1438 ESC'S?    Been following the ESC Version thing pretty closely and hadn't seen that mentioned... Wondering if I missed an important piece of info.

burnaby BC FLYER
2015-1-19
Use props
graham.s.oswald
New

Canada

Hey Applekiller,

Im not sure if my information is correct, it is just what i want to blame for the drifting of my brand new drone after i burnt out my second ESC. if you look at the picture in my OP youll notice there are 2 ESC's in it. on the bottom right of the ESC under the screw "square" there is a 4digit number thats where im seeing 1433(new one i put in) vs 1438(out of drone).

if you need a clearer image i can crop it and highlight the numbers.
2015-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules