skipping warming up procedure
2973 25 2016-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
benz.galnote
lvl.2
Indonesia

i'm sorry for this childness question, since my p3s makes startup warming, is it safe if we forced to fly without waiting for finish? i knew its a silly question how it will be safe if we pass the procedure, but i mean if on scale 1 to 10, how harmfull if we skip that procedure, because I often miss an great moment if it should wait for the warming process is completed

Last question what the actual warming process do?

thank you
2016-5-13
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft

Do an IMU recalibration when the drone and battery are cold. - quite cold. After that it will not spend much time warming up.
I'm surprised you can take off while it's warming up. And don't take off before you have a satellite lock - the icon will turn green.They cover it in the manual that's available online.

2016-5-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The warming process is part of the Inertial Measurement Unit, or IMU, and it is quite necessary. You can, as Rnfaust says, reduce the time by doing an IMU calibration on a cold aircraft. But do not attempt to fly until it is done.
2016-5-13
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello Benz, you can do a Cold IMU calibration in order to reduce the warming-up time. When your drone is calibrating the IMU or warming up, don't try to move it .
2016-5-13
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft

Definitely recommend cold imu calibration. I believe you can not fly before the warming up period anyways.
2016-5-13
Use props
benz.galnote
lvl.2
Indonesia

Ah i've just did try it, I was so embarrassed, I thought with csc manually with RC (w/o mobile device) can get through the process, but it cant, doing CSC even use manual mode still wait warming process  finished

okay guys my mistake..case close, so i've to stuck to wait until finished 3 minutes wasted
2016-5-13
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

benz.galnote@gm Posted at 2016-5-13 22:44
Ah i've just did try it, I was so embarrassed, I thought with csc manually with RC (w/o mobile devic ...

Or do what some users suggested, and do IMU calibration when the unit is cold. Then u will not have to wait for warmap in the future.
2016-5-13
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

benz.galnote@gm Posted at 2016-5-14 12:44
Ah i've just did try it, I was so embarrassed, I thought with csc manually with RC (w/o mobile devic ...

Do your imu calibration on a perfectly level surface and make sure the p3 is cold, I put mine over the air ducts of my home a.c. For half hour or more and then immediately insert battery and put on a previously leveled surface turn on and start imu calibration asap.
I did this and my p3 is ready to fly almost immediately, after I get the adequate satellites., Within a minute I'm up in the sky
2016-5-13
Use props
benz.galnote
lvl.2
Indonesia

oh i miss this point i'm sorry, did you guys mention if i'm doing IMU calibration it will be shorted warming up process in the future..?

oke better i'm do it to see how it works, thx guys for all input
2016-5-13
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer

benz.galnote@gm Posted at 2016-5-14 14:28
oh i miss this point i'm sorry, did you guys mention if i'm doing IMU calibration it will be shorted ...

Yes, COLD IMU calibration. The P3 must be COLD, read my thread above.
Good luck
2016-5-13
Use props
mstevens1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064780 ft
United Kingdom

I done mine at normal room temps was about 18 degrees on a leveled surface in the kitchen, it takes a about a minute to go through the warm up procedure, is it worth doing it again but colder or is a minute about normal? also when I check the IMU the green bars are really low on the scale, is lower the better or should you get full green bars for better?
2016-5-13
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

As stated by others do the cold IMU and remember to do it again after any Firmware updates. Be sure to have your Phantom on a flat level surface and don't move it in any way. Once done properly the warm up period is very short. No question is silly.
2016-5-14
Use props
kdcox
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1386588 ft
United States

rodger Posted at 2016-5-14 06:23
As stated by others do the cold IMU and remember to do it again after any Firmware updates. Be sure  ...

greetings, roger, just curious:  I recently updated firmware and have not done an IMU calibration (in fact I have never done one, had the bird since december 2015).  my warm up is just a few seconds and the quad performs flawlessly (at least thats my perception).  Im not sure there is anything to gain by recalibration, however I am a relative newb, so perhaps there is a compelling reason that I am unaware of??  thanks.
2016-5-14
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

Rnfaust Posted at 2016-5-14 00:11
Do an IMU recalibration when the drone and battery are cold. - quite cold. After that it will not sp ...

question for you Rnfaust - why would doing a COLD calibration on the IMU make the drone skip the WARMING UP process? Where's the logic behind that, or where did you get this information (please don't say I read it on the forums from another user and tried it and it worked, that's not actual logic).
2016-5-14
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

rodger Posted at 2016-5-14 07:23
As stated by others do the cold IMU and remember to do it again after any Firmware updates. Be sure  ...

why does a cold calibration fix the warming up issue? Same with "fixing the tilted horizon", as some in here have claimed it fixed that as well. Can you explain why that would possibly work, and what the logic behind making this decision is?
2016-5-14
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-5-14 00:14
Hello Benz, you can do a Cold IMU calibration in order to reduce the warming-up time. When your dron ...

Paladin! what is the significance of the COLD calibration? Why does that reduce the warm up time of the aircraft? And is it true (as others in here have claimed) that doing a cold calibration on the IMU will fix the tilted horizon as well? I don't see how the horizon has anything to do with it...Also, can you confirm that to do a cold calibration, we should be putting our P4s in the fridge for an hour to get it "cold" for the calibration? I am extremely hesitant to put my $1,400 piece of smart electronics in the fridge for an hour. Thanks for your input Paladin.
2016-5-14
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-5-14 21:04
question for you Rnfaust - why would doing a COLD calibration on the IMU make the drone skip the W ...

First, much of the info regarding procedures is folklore, since it is not always easy to find answers from the manufacturer. I've been following P3 forums for more than a year and doing a cold IMU calibration has never been disputed.
Apparently, the P3 waits until the IMU has reached the temperature at which it was calibrated to to begin using the data. Hence, cold calibration = less wait time. I believe everyone does it that way, and I personally have never had issue with my sensors.
Feel free to call or email DJI support and confirm this. If you find different, PLEASE let us know.
2016-5-14
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-5-14 00:14
Hello Benz, you can do a Cold IMU calibration in order to reduce the warming-up time. When your dron ...

just out of curiosity here but how does this effect the imu when it is warmed up.   i mean if you calibrate it outside while its lets say 40F aproxx 3C and then you fly in the summer or travel and its 80-90f.   or after its flying while warm out and internals are much warmer than what your calibrated for.   as with all electronics and sensors resistance increases with temp.  how much effect does this play with a 50 deg temp difference between calibrated temp and conditions while flying?

only 40 degree temp difference but in sensitive electronics depending on how it is constructed, i am wondering if it could alter things when your flying in warm climates with cold calibration  
2016-5-14
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

benz.galnote@gm Posted at 2016-5-13 23:44

If you calibrate cold, the wait time should come down to less than a minute, usually 30-40 sec.
2016-5-14
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
United States

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-5-14 08:09
Paladin! what is the significance of the COLD calibration? Why does that reduce the warm up time of ...

When you turn it on, the heater in the IMU has to warm it up to the temperature that you calibrated at before it will be ready to fly.  If you calibrate at 75F, it will take longer to warm up than if you calibrate at 20F.  My last good cal was at 17F and it warms up before full satellite compliment is reached.
2016-5-14
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

quickpoint Posted at 2016-5-14 12:52
just out of curiosity here but how does this effect the imu when it is warmed up.   i mean if you  ...

very good question quickpoint, as I am always flying in different environments/states/weather. Summer's coming, it's getting very hot outside. Doing a calibration at 15 degrees Celsius and then flying normally in 25-30 degree Celsius weather, that's not going to change/hurt/damage anything? You just threw a wrench into my question
2016-5-15
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-5-15 00:28
When you turn it on, the heater in the IMU has to warm it up to the temperature that you calibrate ...

Thank you for explaining that Gary, I was very curious about why that worked, but your explanation logically makes sense. If i'm to do a calibration at 50 degrees F and i'm normally flying in 80-90 degree F, that's not going to affect anything is it? I'm just making sure before I go and try this...
2016-5-15
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
United States

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-5-15 06:59
Thank you for explaining that Gary, I was very curious about why that worked, but your explanation ...

You should be fine.  Since you're flying in hot wx, watch your battery temperature while you fly.  If it gets too hot.  Maybe one of the DJI guys can chime in here.  I think I saw one of them make a comment about this recently and put a high limit on battery temperature.  I don't know if there is just a warning, or a forced go-home or landing.  Hopefully someone can provide that info.
2016-5-15
Use props
My Flying Eye
lvl.2
United Kingdom

do

Am I missing the point here?  If warm up time can be reduced by calibrating originally at a colder temperature then surely the colder the temp at time of calibration the more the warm up time is reduced.
So my question is, why is there a warm up time and what is the purpose if we can override it by calibrating in cold conditions?  It must be there for a reason and therefore one would assume that it must need a minimum of time to do what ever it is that it needs to do?
2016-5-15
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

kdcox Posted at 2016-5-14 08:23
greetings, roger, just curious:  I recently updated firmware and have not done an IMU calibration  ...

The IMU Cal. is highly recommended. It only takes a minute. You can do an auto cal and that is what I do. I do it after any firmware updates. Be sure to do it on a flat level surface and do your compass cal after. Doing this will ensure that everything is in sync. for your Phantom.
2016-5-16
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-5-14 09:06
why does a cold calibration fix the warming up issue? Same with "fixing the tilted horizon", as so ...

By doing it cold , cold meaning that the electronics have been dormant for a few days. When you do the cal at this point the electronics will have been stagnate and at the lowest point of their spec. Picture it this way if you will. When you first turn you computer on it takes a bit to come up to full speed and ready to go to work. Once it has been on for a bit of time and it goes to sleep or standby the computer is at rest but not powered down and when you open it or hit a key it is instantly ready to go back to work.
So when we do a cold cal everything is at its slowest or lowest state. Now the Phantom is ready to fly at spec. and the warmup time is shortened by a bit. My P4 has only had the initial IMU cal after the firmware update and the warm up time is around 10-15 seconds. I have not had one issue with the P4 including the gimbal and camera. The P4 is by far the best DJI product that I have had.
2016-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules