Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SteadyWTF
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

THE DJI OSMO/X5 ADAPTOR COMBO
Per usual I was incredibly excited at this concept.  I have used the Osmo/X3 combo and it works just fine for the decent camera that is on it (only in daytime).   After watching the Demo for the Osmo and Zenmuse X5  (here - ),  I thought to myself that I had to get that adapter and get the X5 rolling.  
One thing I noticed immediately looking back at the video is there are no long flowing shots.  I imagine that video above was done under the absolute best of circumstances and put through every steady-based 3rd party software out there.  Now this is just my opinion.  I may of course just be a schlub and can't hold this thing steady (then again that's kind of its job).  However,  I have yet to see an example on youtube or elsewhere of just a nice simple 10-20 yard walk with no shake (like you can do with the X3 and the Ronin).  Those who know me know I am in film and TV, and it would be really cool to use this in a TV environment.  In fact, I tested it out on a recent assignment - .  At the beginning of the clip you can see that I am walking towards the fire.  (Disclaimer: YES, all recent Firmware).  Unfortunately, it's shaky as hell (yes calibrated and I even put a smooth filter on it).  The rest of the footage is little close ups and really nothing special.  The quality of the video is better then the Osmo/X3 combo in my opinion (though I wasn't even working on the image quality in this case), however there just isn't even a close comparison when it comes to that nice clean "flying"/Steadicam look of the X3 or Ronin ( admittedly probably not really fair to compare to Ronin).  I have tested out the Osmo/X5 combo for days now, with the firmware updated, and have seen poor results on wide angle shots, one take long shots, and especially running and walking shots which came out terrible for me..  Sure, as in the DJI video (link above), it does short little smooth shots that look good.  I think this could be an awesome product and maybe it's just me.  However I would think there would be a little more footage out there then a quick cut rap video and the DJI video that would really test this thing to the limits.   So far, personally, the adapter with X5 would not be my choice on any moderately budgeted set or really even behind the scenes.  For now I will stick wth my Ronin, and really even the OsmoX3 if the light is right.

If anyone has had better results please let me know.  I would love to check out your footage and get some tips.  I'd be especially interested in smooth walking and running sequences/shots as the quick cut stabilzer stuff means nothing to me as it doesn't justify this equipment in the least.

That's my two cents, bring on the guy that says get over it and that I'm an arse (I'm looking at you Ken)..  

2016-5-13
Use props
frypan
lvl.3
Australia

The beginning is sped up, so this will amplify any shake.

The FOV of the X5 is less than the X3, so again this will mean more shake is visible (X3 is 94 degrees, X5 is 72).

I recommend locking the tilt axis completely and reducing the horizontal axis speed so it moves much slower to re-center. Then just buy the z-axis to reduce head bob and you should see an improvement.

Anyway, nice colours. Looks like less noise and compression mess in the trees compared with X3, it's definitely a better camera than X3.

Also it should be said that in the boxing video, if you look closely the Osmo is not perfectly smooth tracking, it's moving a bit rough. It's just not noticable because they fill the frame with actors and movement. If those were empty sets, we would see the imperfect tracking. Adjust the deadpan settings to reduce panning movement, I think that may help. Or even lock horizontal pan completely and only use the joystick for panning. That's what I do sometimes when I don't need automatic panning.
2016-5-14
Use props
seanemclean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 223061 ft
United States

Agree, a narrower FOV will be harder to get super steady shots, but it is still quite good. Speeding up your footage didn't help.
2016-5-14
Use props
SteadyWTF
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

frypan Posted at 2016-5-14 07:13

The FOV of the X5 is less than the X3, so ...

The speeding up really didn't make a difference.  I'd say the slower footage is even shakier, but point taken.
2016-5-14
Use props
SteadyWTF
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

frypan Posted at 2016-5-14 07:13

The FOV of the X5 is less than the X3, so ...

@frypan,  thank you for your feedback,  I'll definitely try the Z-axis, however I kind of feel like I'm buying something in the Z axis that should already be present in a stabilizer, that is stability.
I know other lenses are available for this camera however are any of them wider angle?
2016-5-16
Use props
ikemikek
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535308 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ok, guys, is there any way to enable servo focus/focus tracking on the X5?
2016-5-16
Use props
frypan
lvl.3
Australia

SteadyWTF Posted at 2016-5-17 05:52
@frypan,  thank you for your feedback,  I'll definitely try the Z-axis, however I kind of feel lik ...

There's the Olympus M. ED 12mm f/2.0, which is wider than the 15mm. (I just noticed the helicopter guy uses this lens on his X5R). FOV is 84 degrees which is the closest you will get to the X3 at 94 degrees.

Definitely try disabling horizontal axis movement, so you need to use joystick only to pan left or right. Give that a try and see if it helps. Also just try to walk in straight line with deliberate movement. Plan your shots... eg "Walk from point A to point B". If you just walk around casually, it won't be perfectly steady.

The Osmo never really promised "smooth dolly tracking". Walking with the Osmo there is  still some movement because your arm is not a mechanical steadi-cam rig! There are limitations to how steady it will be.

I don't recommend applying YouTube smoothing filter to your footage. That is designed to correct vibrational shake, which you don't have. What you have is more camera drift.

Get the Olympus 12mm!! If I had money, I would get this for the X5. :-)
2016-5-17
Use props
SteadyWTF
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks Frypan, yes I've done the A-B walk with no great success.  However, turns out it may be the unit.  I first notice some issues with flight stability, and shake under good conditions.   They are going to look at the gimbal and see what's going on.  
There is one video online I recently saw that showed better results when walking then what I showed.
However I still haven't seen a great walking shot without smooth filters that's impressed me.
Also, I had no idea YouTube offered a smooth filter.  I'm sure it's horrible.
2016-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules