Why wont DJI give us firmware control???
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
oldcar82
lvl.2

United States

I recently purchased a Phantom 3 advanced and had a few flights with no issues and really love the features and affordability of this drone. I am one of those people that believes in a manufacturers intent to constantly improve and advance their product for the consumers positive product experience, so when I was prompted to update my firmware on my aircraft and my controller I did so with little apprehension. I trusted DJI and that is where the problems begin. The new firmware bricked my phantom for two days..two glorious days of perfect weather and sun I might add. I finally believe I have it sorted out but I see from the many posts on the forum that there are a lot of pilots out there that are upset and now questioning if DJI is a company that they will do business with in the future and my feeling is this trust will be hard for DJI to restore. Now I read additional reports that the new firmware has caused a loss of signal strength and people are experiencing decreased distance in flight many allegations are flying around this site some higher than the ceilings our drones are able to reach. I have seen representatives from DJI make statements that nothing has changed but that a new method has been applied to the control of the drone. To all of this I say if DJI values their customers and respects their opinions, needs and wants then all firmware should be on file and backwards compatible able to be downloaded and installed at the whim of the consumer. Not only would this solve the issue of so many pilots with bricked drones but would also restore trust within the drone community and allow us to feel that DJI wants to keep its customer base and will do what's necessary to keep us. COME ON DJI...I JUST GOT HERE...AND ALREADY I DONT TRUST YOU
2016-5-14
Use props
RhodyPhantom
lvl.2

Agreed! It almost makes me want to download ALL the old versions of firmware and store them on their own SD cards for future use in the event that DJI comes out with a firmware update that I don't like. When I got my Advanced, it was on 1.5. The newest update at the time was 1.6 so I updated to that before even flying for the first time... but just 2 or 3 weeks later, they came out with 1.7 and thats when I started questioning: is this really necessary?? Unfortunately, I crashed my Advanced and bought a Professional until I can get the Advanced fixed. It came loaded with 1.4  and I told myself I would keep it but I feared issues might arise with my controller and GO app being on the newest versions. I'm not moving from 1.7 unless someone puts a gun to my head!
2016-5-14
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

PT Barnum got it right. There's a fool born every day.

Nothing good comes out of updating firmware or software. If what you presently have works well, leave it alone.
2016-5-14
Use props
RhodyPhantom
lvl.2

gregg1r Posted at 2016-5-15 03:26
PT Barnum got it right. There's a fool born every day.

Nothing good comes out of updating firmware  ...

I know that... and its becoming more obvious every day... but up til about 2 months ago I wondered if anything BAD would come out of NOT updating it.
2016-5-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

There is a lot of absolute crap written on all the internet forums, so the first rule is don't believe 99% of it, or get involved in panic issues brought up by people who don't have a clue what they are talking about.
2016-5-14
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-5-15 08:01
There is a lot of absolute crap written on all the internet forums, so the first rule is don't belie ...

I have to disagree with you Geebax, you are much too cynical.
It's probably only 50-60%
2016-5-14
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-5-15 11:04

Well, at least one of you are wrong!
2016-5-14
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

It's just like not allowing 3rd party batteries.. There's 2 sides to it, one DJI protecting itself from idiots causing damage, knowingly or not, then blaming DJI; as well as those who want full control and do fly responsibly. And then of course those who want full control, and fly not responsibly, like 3 miles up, or over White House, and then again DJI and the rest of us possibly suffering the bad publicity and maybe more... So this is certainly not something easy, but yes, i would like for DJI to put more responsibility on the user, and aside from giving us warning on the app, and requiring agreement to a user agreement, let us decide what we want to do and how, not decide for us. Unfortunately, that also means, that if they release a firmware wit bug fixes, and a user choses not to upgrade, who is responsible is the aircraft crashes?
So there.. enjoying all the discussions here, and sometimes I wish DJI would get a bit more involved, but I understand that what they say here, is often walking on a line.. so I am not surprised they do not voice their opinion on every topic either...
GT
2016-5-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-5-15 11:04

Yeah, you are probably right, I do tend to exagerate, but only 1% of the time.
2016-5-14
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.3

Geebax Posted at 2016-5-15 10:47
Yeah, you are probably right, I do tend to exagerate, but only 1% of the time.

What? 1%? Come on.....you know that is not true. It's at least 3%....lol
2016-5-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules