Compass calibration instruction and diagram conflict
983 7 2016-5-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Alari
lvl.2

Switzerland

Hi,

Have you noticed that in the DJI GO app, the compass calibration instructions say the second stage should be done pointing nose down, but the diagram is nose pointing away?

I noticed it the first time I unboxed the craft and did the calibration, but don't get the reason behind this.. Anyone?

So far I've done the calibration following the diagram (nose pointing away) and even though the calibration doesn't go through every time (have to do multiple attempts) it doesn't seem to be interfering with in-flight stability.

Anyway, I'm curious what is the correct way and why this confusion, as this has to have been done on purpose..?
Pictures:

Step 1

Step 1

Step 2

Step 2

2016-5-15
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Looks like its pointing down to me.

2016-05-15.png
2016-5-15
Use props
Alari
lvl.2

Switzerland

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2016-5-15 10:45
Looks like its pointing down to me.

I'm sorry, I should've been more precise in my descriptions that I meant the instructions in the DJI GO app while performing the calibration.

I'm also pretty sure mine did not come with such paper, my instructions just guide me to follow the instructions in the app. I'll take a screenshot.
2016-5-15
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

I see, that pic is from the downloaded pdf manual.
I am still flying my trusty Phantom 2, so don't have the luxury of using the Go app..
But anyway, the correct way is nose down for all Phantoms for the second stage of calibration.
2016-5-15
Use props
Alari
lvl.2

Switzerland

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2016-5-15 11:01
I see, that pic is from the downloaded pdf manual.
I am still flying my trusty Phantom 2, so don't  ...

Please check, updated the original post with pictures. I'm sure nose down can be considered the correct way as it has the largest presence everywhere. But I just don't get why DJI would be creating this confusion, as they had to deliberately design the new diagram. And I've found out that in some earlyer version of the app, the diagram instruction was also facing down, and has definitely been changed..
2016-5-15
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

Yeah, you are right, that diagram is wrong, but it still says nose down in the instructions and has been the same for every Phantom made.
Very odd.
2016-5-15
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is unusual, & I can see the confusion.  I agree with johnwarr...nose down (camera facing down).  I have had a P2V+, P3Pro, & now a P4, and they are all the same, 2nd stage nose down...now here is another confusing point...in some of the tutorials they have you going clockwise....other counter-clockwise.  I have done both and at this point, unless DJI says something, I don't think it affects the performance (unless someone else can commit on this).   Good observation.
2016-5-15
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

Hello Alari, excellent observation. I have noticed this as well ever since my first calibration. I recently discovered several youtube videos of people calibrating their older model phantoms with this method (pointing the nose down instead of turning the aircraft sideways), so I'm assuming it is an older method of calibration that DJI forgot to change the words instructing you what to do to match the picture (which they obviously changed, as the aircraft pictured is sideways, not nose down). I believe this is the reason that it says point the nose down, and it's just something that needs to be brought to DJI's attention to be fixed with a future update on the App. Thank you for bringing this to the attention of the rest of the forum users and DJI.
2016-5-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules