Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Instructions on How to: Landing Gear Manual Raising and Lowering.
20157 27 2016-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I have seen this asked but never answered and wanted to post this for future reference if ever needed.  If you need to raise or lower the landing gear by using a  standard  screwdriver ( flathead ). There is a small slotted screw  on the bottom of the aircraft directly in line with the "Worm Gear " boot.   With the X3 camera you will need to push the Gimbal floating assembly slightly forward to expose the  slot screw, with the X5 you may need to remove the camera.  ( I dont own X5 or X5R so not sure )  The slot  screw is small and deeply recessed and it is located on the belly of the aircraft towards the center, when the floating gimbal is pushed forward it is just exposed, it is enough to get that small standard screwdriver into, be sure to look at the position of the screw slot and match your tool with it.  

***Do NOT use the supplied screwdriver that came with the Kit , that is for the RC transmitter Tablet mount.  It tightens the screw on the right side of the mount .  DJI does not say what purpose it has but I found a reference for it somewhere .  For some reason , including yours truly,I thought that was it's purpose ....until I looked at the location of the screw and thought NO WAY !  Use the One I have in the pic below and you will be perfect .  

MAKE SURE THE AIRCRAFT IS OFF WHEN DOING THIS PROCEDCURE
Be sure to look at pics below- thank you RichJ53 !!

Once you have the slot exposed use a small 3 1/2  inch scredriver with  a blade about 1/8 wide  ( Pocket protector screwdrivers work perfect see picture at bottom of page )

Below  is from the perspective of having the AC  upside down.  

To LOWER the gear TURN THE SCREW ( DRIVER ) CLOCKWISE   ( Landing Position )

To RAISE the gear TURN THE SCREW  ( DRIVER ) COUNTER CLOCKWISE   ( Flight Position )

Sometimes if the gear gets stuck , either up or down all it takes is a  couple of turns of the scredriver and then it will work.

Make sure when placing the aircraft in Travel Mode that you have removed the camera and that you are on a hard level surface.  The VPS sensor needs that hard level surface to determine how high to raise the gear, when you dont have that solid surface the Landing  Gear travels beyond the level mode for travel and sometimes gets stuck when the worm gear travels beyond it limits and sometimes gets stuck .

Donnie  

Pocket screwdriver.PNG
gear 1.jpg
gear 2.jpg
gear 3.jpg
2016-5-17
Use props
itsalive69
lvl.2

Hi there
I sometimes can't get mine into travel mode, even when it's on a solid flat surface .
It sometimes takes many attempts and turning it on and off, or taking the battery out and on again to get it to work right, I'm hoping it will get fixed on the next firmware.
Regards Gordon
2016-5-25
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

itsalive69@gmai Posted at 2016-5-25 14:54
Hi there
I sometimes can't get mine into travel mode, even when it's on a solid flat surface .
It s ...

I doubt the firmware will make a difference, check that the wiring harness for the VPS is seated correctly and not loose it is right in front of the wall of the battery pack.  If it is loose it will act just like you are describing.

donnie
2016-5-26
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey donnie you can use these photos that I posted on another thread.

Hope this helps you get the message accross     

IMG_6965.JPG
IMG_6966.JPG
IMG_6967.JPG

Rich

2016-5-27
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-5-27 19:52
Hey donnie you can use these photos that I posted on another thread.

Hope this helps you get the me ...

Oh, hell yes, I will clip and paste.

thanks -donnie
2016-5-28
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-5-28 03:42
Oh, hell yes, I will clip and paste.

thanks -donnie

Perfect !! I  took these photos of my V1 awhile ago     

glad to help

Rich
2016-5-28
Use props
dustindilworth
lvl.1
Flight distance : 497530 ft
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-5-29 01:18
Perfect !! I  took these photos of my V1 awhile ago     

glad to help

Thanks for the post, Donnie, and for the pics Rich. I'm going to need to do this with my Inspire to send it in for service. The screw seems really really tight. I'm having difficulty getting it to move at all - no movement so far. Is it normal for the screw to be very tight like this? Thank you!
2016-8-14
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dustindilworth Posted at 2016-8-14 12:16
Thanks for the post, Donnie, and for the pics Rich. I'm going to need to do this with my Inspire to ...

dustin,
I could turn my worm-gear screw on the V1. I have not tried it since I have been flying my V2 Inspire.  Sounds like the screw could be bound up (jammed).  You don't want to force it, but maybe you need a larger screw driver to get the needed leverage?

Donnie might have something else for you to try

Rich
2016-8-14
Use props
dustindilworth
lvl.1
Flight distance : 497530 ft
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-8-15 05:29
dustin,
I could turn my worm-gear screw on the V1. I have not tried it since I have been flying my ...

I have the V1, and it turns out (pun not intended) the screw driver I was using was turning in it's handle, lol! I was able to get it with another screw driver. So glad this post was here!
2016-8-14
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dustindilworth Posted at 2016-8-14 15:02
I have the V1, and it turns out (pun not intended) the screw driver I was using was turning in it' ...

good job....  I hope you are able to figure out what's going on with your Inspire soon.

I did not get to go flying today, so I messed around with my remotes, by connecting either my slave or master and  both using the newest FW. I did not have any problems getting control over the camera on the slave unit. I could switch either remote to the master and re-linking it to the aircraft.

Rich
2016-8-14
Use props
fans3c8f0426
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Donnie Posted at 2016-5-26 10:06
I doubt the firmware will make a difference, check that the wiring harness for the VPS is seated correctly and not loose it is right in front of the wall of the battery pack.  If it is loose it will act just like you are describing.

donnie

Thanks bud, sorry for the late reply,I'm rubbish at keeping up with this sort of thing, I work away and sometimes don't get to fly for a while, it all seems to be tight, but it still dose it, it's intermittent, I have cleaned the sensers and tried it on different serfeces. It's a pain.
2016-12-18
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
United States

fans3c8f0426 Posted at 2016-12-18 07:14
Thanks bud, sorry for the late reply,I'm rubbish at keeping up with this sort of thing, I work away and sometimes don't get to fly for a while, it all seems to be tight, but it still dose it, it's intermittent, I have cleaned the sensers and tried it on different serfeces. It's a pain.

No worries, good luck .  

Merry Christmas

donnie
2016-12-19
Use props
fans3c8f0426
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2016-12-19 05:05
No worries, good luck .  

Merry Christmas

Thanks, have a great new year.
2017-1-4
Use props
High
New

Namibia

Hi, I have recently bought a second hand (excellent condition) Inspire 1. On the first test flight I noticed that when the landing gear raises, the whole craft shudders. Looks like something is not moving smoothly. It does the same on lowering landing gear
I have checked the worm gear but could not see anything suspicious. The landing gear functions perfectly, except that shudder that has me worried.
Being quite a novice at droning, I don't want to take a chance with this.
Has anyone had this happen? And what could the solution be?
Hope to get it sorted soon....
Thanx
2017-1-18
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Flight distance : 546014 ft
Australia

with the X5 ...
remove the camera and gimbal and pop off the vibration board to get access to the screw/worm drive
2017-1-18
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
United States

High Posted at 2017-1-18 08:28
Hi, I have recently bought a second hand (excellent condition) Inspire 1. On the first test flight I noticed that when the landing gear raises, the whole craft shudders. Looks like something is not moving smoothly. It does the same on lowering landing gear
I have checked the worm gear but could not see anything suspicious. The landing gear functions perfectly, except that shudder that has me worried.

Are you saying the previous owner did not know about this ................

Place the AC inside the House ,remove camera, place the AC on hard level surface and engage the travelmode on the go app , see if you can spot what the problem is . You may have a bent support arm or the servo gear for the worm gear might be bad.  doing it this way with the Props not making any noise you can diagnose the problem eaisier .
Also check the play in the booms, you should have a little bit of play  but not binding .  

Maybe if you cant spot it take a video and post it here for others to evaluate , I think you will find the problem by following the travel mode suggestion above .

donnie

2017-1-18
Use props
High 5
New

Namibia

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-1-18 09:27
Are you saying the previous owner did not know about this ................

Place the AC inside the House ,remove camera, place the AC on hard level surface and engage the travelmode on the go app , see if you can spot what the problem is . You may have a bent support arm or the servo gear for the worm gear might be bad.  doing it this way with the Props not making any noise you can diagnose the problem eaisier .

Thanx Donnie. I will do some homework and come back to you.
btw I have done this exercise without the props and the motor sounds a little whiny. Maybe there is a bent part somewhere and the dude sold it for that reason...
2017-1-18
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

High Posted at 2017-1-18 08:28

When the landing gear raises and lowers it should be a smooth operation.  If it is shuddering somewhat, it may be indicating that it has had a knock or crash that may have knocked the gear out or true.  May be worthwhile getting it serviced.  The other suggestion from Donnie to make a video and post it is a good idea then teh moderators may also add some input in addition to the members.
2017-1-18
Use props
fans253ce7fd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 617680 ft
Italy

Guys,
I need you expert advise....

On my Inspire 1 V1 I can't get the travel mode position. Once the aircraft rich the lowest position, it doesn't stop and automatically it raise up. I have already tried in many different kind of surfaces and colors (tile, wood, marble etc etc) but nothing, it always raise. As described in this post i have tried to maunally raise and lower the arms by turning (clockwise or anticlocwise) the screw below the aircraft but anything it seem change the situation. It always raise up!!

Anyone of you has some advise?

Thanks a lot guys...
in the zip file a video of the problem...
2017-8-17
Use props
fans253ce7fd
lvl.1
Italy

Guys,

On my Inspire 1 V1 I can't get the travel mode position. Once the aircraft rich the lowest position, it doesn't stop and automatically it raise up. I have already tried in many different kind of surfaces and colors (tile, wood, marble etc etc) but nothing, it always raise. As described in this post i have tried to maunally raise and lower the arms by turning (clockwise or anticlocwise) the screw below the aircraft but anything it seem change the situation. It always raise up!!

Anyone of you has some advise?

Thanks a lot guys...
in the zip file a video of the problem...

Inspire 1 Travel mode failure.zip

500.04 KB, Down times: 12

2017-8-17
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
United States

fans253ce7fd Posted at 2017-8-17 01:08
Guys,

How are you activating the travel mode ?  have you tried both ways ?  Via the Go app and or cycling the Gear switch 4 times quickly .

sorry did not respond sooner I was on Holiday

donnie
2017-8-20
Use props
fans253ce7fd
lvl.1
Italy

Donnie * Posted at 2017-8-20 06:06
How are you activating the travel mode ?  have you tried both ways ?  Via the Go app and or cycling the Gear switch 4 times quickly .

sorry did not respond sooner I was on Holiday

Thanks a lot for your reply Donnie,

yes of course i have tried  both ways many times (by the app on my mobile and  tablet, and by the switch on the controller).
2017-8-28
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
United States

fans253ce7fd Posted at 2017-8-28 22:22
Thanks a lot for your reply Donnie,

yes of course i have tried  both ways many times (by the app on my mobile and  tablet, and by the switch on the controller).

The VPS is giving or  receiving faulty data .  Make sure the sensor is clean .  It is on the underside of the AC,make sure to gently blow on the mesh sensors ( two of them ) and there is oe optical , make sure that is clean as well.

Smooth hard surfaces work bet with contrasting colors. some members try a piece of white paper and have some success, why not give that a try , or even the  black case of the Inspire seems to work , just make sure it does not slide off of it , do this for testing purposes with the plain white paper and or the black case .

good ;luck

donnie
2017-8-29
Use props
fans253ce7fd
lvl.1
Italy

Donnie * Posted at 2017-8-29 06:43
The VPS is giving or  receiving faulty data .  Make sure the sensor is clean .  It is on the underside of the AC,make sure to gently blow on the mesh sensors ( two of them ) and there is oe optical , make sure that is clean as well.

Smooth hard surfaces work bet with contrasting colors. some members try a piece of white paper and have some success, why not give that a try , or even the  black case of the Inspire seems to work , just make sure it does not slide off of it , do this for testing purposes with the plain white paper and or the black case .

Really thanks a lot Donnie for your advise.
I have already tried all the known surfaces on earth, and I have gently cleaned both the acustic sensor and the optical lens many times...

It's a pity because i would like sell it, and obviously anybody is interested in buying a drone that doesn't work perfectly..

Anyway, thanks again.
2017-8-31
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
United States

fans253ce7fd Posted at 2017-8-31 22:23
Really thanks a lot Donnie for your advise.
I have already tried all the known surfaces on earth, and I have gently cleaned both the acustic sensor and the optical lens many times...

More than likely it is a faulty VPS sensor .  I would see if you are getting data from it and then  if you notice you are not , make sure the Sensor cable is not crimped or damaged in any way .

The VPS data will be on the Go app when flying and give the Height of the aircraft from a bout 3 meters downs to the ground , If not giving any data or faulty , I would replace it , cost is around 100 USA dollars .

donnie
Below is a pic of where to find the VPS data :

vps.PNG
2017-9-1
Use props
fans20e467f6
lvl.1
Flight distance : 49452 ft
United States

Firstly it’s very refreshing seeing someone that is so helpful to strangers. My I2 is stuck for 2nd time in landing mode. It’s a sortware issue because it hasn’t moved from the table since I last did it. My crystal sky connects with no errors but says no signal at top. When I hit travel mode via app the Cs times out when I click “ok” and when I attempt it via drone with 5 clicks it turns runs startup sequence. Any ideas?
2018-7-29
Use props
staylordji
lvl.1
United States

Is there no video on this? Apparently, the tension on this screw is formidable... has anyone else had as much trouble as I am figuring this out?
2018-10-26
Use props
Caspers driver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4540515 ft
United States

staylordji Posted at 2018-10-26 11:09
Is there no video on this? Apparently, the tension on this screw is formidable... has anyone else had as much trouble as I am figuring this out?

Donnie did a good job of showing where and how, but maybe you are getting your screwdriver stuck, or something is jammed?

Here is video I found that might be of help to you. The guy pulled it off with one hand on screwdriver and other holding camera, so should be doable with both.
Of course he had cat helping too!

Good luck !!
2018-10-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules