Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Terrible gimble / fan noise after update
1904 15 2016-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mcdolejt
New

Following the most recent update, my P4 started making a noise that i can not describe.  I tried to capture it in the linked video.  Might be the gimbal or fan?  I don't know.  It typically does it the first time it is started up after sitting for a few hours.  Sometimes it is short,  sometimes lasting ~ 30 seconds.  In the end stages of the noise it sounds like some type motor trying to get up to speed, and eventually does.  My vehicle also has the drop that so many of you have described on the forum, and I feel like I lose signal at a much closer distance.   Otherwise,  the vehicle performs as expected. My major concern is that the noise i am hearing is the beginning of a much bigger problem.   Thanks in advance to anyone that might can provide me with any experience, or guidance on how to handle such an issue.  
https://youtu.be/Ro8gyGwZlDM

edit: loose -> lose
2016-5-17
Use props
DanielMyst777
lvl.3
Flight distance : 145276 ft
United States

you got punk'd bro
2016-5-17
Use props
mcdolejt
New

Ok Ashton. How so? I might have, but I am looking for a solution.  
2016-5-17
Use props
mjanzou
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14820 ft
United States

sounds like the cooling fan rubbing on something to me.......
2016-5-17
Use props
quickpoint
Second Officer

United States

mcdolejt Posted at 2016-5-17 22:52
Ok Ashton. How so? I might have, but I am looking for a solution.

The noise has nothing to do with the gimbal.  The noise stays constant while the gimbal is moving and also while it is stopped.  It never changes.

It sounds very much like the internal fan bearing is dry.  Pc's Cpu coolers and power supplies sound exactly like this when they start up and are not properly lubed.  My projector which is my main monitor in my room sounds just like this every time it starts up.  Lasts for 20-90 seconds then gets quiet

It's not anything to be extremely worried about at this point but you really should open up a ticket to get it serviced.  You can crack the shell and lube the bearing for the fan yourself but no doubt you will be voiding the warranty.   There are a few break down videos on the Internet of p4 disassembles.  Can watch one and see where the internal fan is and how to get to it.

I noticed there was a mention of something contacting the fan. Nothing is contacting it,  if it was the souls wouldn't change while the drone is sitting stationary.    I'd can say with 99% certainty that it's the fan bearings inside that are dry   Sadly this means they are most likely not ball bearings but bronze bushings.  They potentially last much longer with and consume less power because they don't have ball bearings and bearing races that need to move, I turn making them quieter.   Bushings have no moving parts other than the shaft but when they require good lubrication  to have a long life.  Most likely one slipped thru QC a bit on the dry side. :/
2016-5-17
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello mcdolejt, the sound looks like coming from the cooler fan. Did it crash or have any hard-landing before?
2016-5-17
Use props
mcdolejt
New

quickpoint Posted at 2016-5-18 11:57
The noise has nothing to do with the gimbal.  The noise stays constant while the gimbal is moving  ...

Thanks for the thorough response.  Just the kind of response I was looking for.  It sounds like you know what you are talking about.  I am going to look into the disassembly process and go from there.  I'm kinda a nerd and have taken on projects as such.  Do you have a recommended video?  and assuming there is a dry bearing,  what type of lubricant would be best for application?  Thank you!
2016-5-18
Use props
mcdolejt
New

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-5-18 15:37
Hello mcdolejt, the sound looks like coming from the cooler fan. Did it crash or have any hard-landi ...

There has never been a crash.  There was one time where i had to land it quick due to being over H20, but it wasn't a slam landing.  I don't think the landing was the culprit, as the noise didn't start till a few days afterwards.  Let's say it was, the hard landing,  what might that have done to the cooler fan? Thanks.
2016-5-18
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
First Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you been flying in dusty environments? I cant really suggest fixing it your self but if you do I would try to just blow out the fan with compressed air and not lube it.
2016-5-18
Use props
quickpoint
Second Officer

United States

mcdolejt Posted at 2016-5-18 10:59
Thanks for the thorough response.  Just the kind of response I was looking for.  It sounds like yo ...

I prefer non fibered wheel bearing grease.  I'll friend you and walk you thru everything needed.   And will link you videos
2016-5-18
Use props
mcdolejt
New

quickpoint Posted at 2016-5-18 23:29
I prefer non fibered wheel bearing grease.  I'll friend you and walk you thru everything needed.   ...

Thanks friend! Greatly appreciated.
2016-5-18
Use props
mcdolejt
New

DJI-BladeStrike Posted at 2016-5-18 23:05
Have you been flying in dusty environments? I cant really suggest fixing it your self but if you do  ...

Never.  Only in safe environments.  
2016-5-18
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

mcdolejt Posted at 2016-5-18 23:02
There has never been a crash.  There was one time where i had to land it quick due to being over H ...

That's not normal.I'd suggest you to get in touch with tech support via support@dji.com and send the drone back for diagnosis.
2016-5-18
Use props
quickpoint
Second Officer

United States

mcdolejt Posted at 2016-5-18 12:43
Thanks friend! Greatly appreciated.

hey found a video that shows the fan that needs lube.   i just looked my p4 over and and you can easily see the fan from the bottom  thru the grey gimbal plate.   it is on the opposite side of the sd card.    will be a VERY simple job to get to the fan and lube it.   just need to remove the gimbal assemble and your there at the fan.

kinda crappy video with really only pictures   at 46 seconds you can see the fan at the bottom.  at 53 you can see it better.

this video is much better.  

the silver label with the writing the fan is a sticker that covers the bearing/bushing cap.   some of the fans have a rubber cap pressed into to be a dust cover,  some don't have anything at all.  

here is a tuturial on how to lube the bearing

http://www.overclockers.com/em-spinning-lubricate-pc-fans/

i personally use lightweight non fibered bearing grease or silicone based lube.   you can use pretty much any oil wouldn't use vegetable oil because it dries up and gets sticky over time.  

NEVER spray anything into it.  spray into a small cup if the lube is a spray can, then use a q tip or tooth pick to pick up a drop.  if you have any needle droppers they work the best.  only need a drop, 2 at most.  then put the cap back on and put it all back together.  

while working on your p4 i would suguest putting the props on so you can stand the drone upside down and not damage the motor locks.   good luck keep us posted!
2016-5-19
Use props
mcdolejt
New

quickpoint Posted at 2016-5-19 23:35
hey found a video that shows the fan that needs lube.   i just looked my p4 over and and you can e ...

Thanks for all the help.  If support does not help me, I guess looking into this will be my next step.  
2016-5-19
Use props
kdcox
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1386588 ft
United States

edited out, redundant post, don't know how I missed all the posts after the video and 2-3 first comments.  apologies
2016-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules