Phantom 2 video/camera feed not displaying on iphone but does record
22430 39 2016-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jon.dewys
New

United States

I have a Phantom 2 that is not displaying the camera feed on my iPhone but IS recording to the sim card.  I went through the 'Binding' process several times to no avail.  When I go into the iPhone app, it tries to connect but doesn't show the camera .  The blue connection lights are on in the upper right corner.  

I am noticing that the green 'status' light on the wifi control box is flashing irregularly even when the drone is immediately next to the control box.   

Suggestions?
2016-5-19
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

you may have a bad wifi module in the Phantom or RE (if you have one) or loose connection at the camera, check all connections

Is this Phantom new to you?

which model Phantom 2 exactly is it?

DJI had a problem with with an Android update blowing wifi/Range Extenders and they have virtually abandoned the P2's, just saying in case you bought it used you could have someone else s problems......

i will presume you have dumped and reloaded the Dji Vision app on your phone just to be sure?
2016-5-19
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello Jon, which Phantom 2 do you use,  Vision or Vision+?
2016-5-19
Use props
pcm2a
lvl.1

United States

I have this same issue, except with Android. I have not taken any updates to "blow up" anything. My camera was functioning normally when I noticed that it was cutting in and out. I bought a replacement camera cable and installed it. Now the camera powers up, wifi works fine, I can tilt the camera, record and take pictures. However, on multiple android devices the screen shows black. Again, wifi is working, altitude, gps, gimbal control AND can take pictures and video. The only thing not working is the FPV preview.

I have tried many power cycles, replugging cables, reinstall apps, checking all the settings, so far no dice. Phantom 2 Vision. Not really worth taking shots at the dark on spending more money on it to buy another repeater, that may not be the issue.
2016-5-20
Use props
jon.dewys
New

United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-5-20 10:26

Vision plus
2016-5-21
Use props
EddieR0691
lvl.1

United States

This is a known problem, you can search every P2V+ forum and find it.  The part of the wifi module onboard the drone goes out - possible due to overheating - and stops the liveview. Recording and control of the camera are unaffected.  The telemetry data is still transmitted too.
In effect (for simplification) the drone has two channels for sending data back to the user, liveview and telemetry data. One of the channels is nonoperative.
You can google several ways to troubleshoot, if you are somewhat network savvy you can isolate the problem to the wifi module.
Do all of your troubleshooting to be sure you actually need another module, they aren't cheap and it would suck to spend ~$200 and find you only had a loose connection.
Bottom line, it seems that purchasing a new (used) wifi module and replacing the original one is the only feasible way to fix the problem. Until someone comes up with a cheap and easy way to solder in new components on the circuit board. Or just live with it.
2016-5-21
Use props
TomWolves
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110577 ft
United States

My phantom2 Vision Plus is doing the same thing, in fact I started a new thread. I was flying today and ever thing worked, landed changed the battery. Then a blank screen but ever thing else was working, except camera view. The light on my gimbal flashes green as soon as I hook up to the Phantoms Wi-Fi connection.
2016-5-21
Use props
don
lvl.1
Flight distance : 373688 ft
United States

I have the same Network not available on My Samsung S7 and Tabs. Never had a problem before. I can see I'm logged into my network and all other browser functions work fine. This only happened after updating Vision 2+. Also on my old Samsung S3 it connects and the App opens normal.

I can fly and take photos with S3 but the video feed view is black. Can't see what the camera is seeing. It's worked great until update. Chatted with DJI, absolutely no help on either problem. Their answer was send it in for repair. Really?
2016-8-22
Use props
Surefire11758
New

United States

DJI,

My Phantom 2 Vision Plus is now a giant paperweight due to the software/hardware updates you pushed out in the past few months.  I used my Phantom in April 2016 without any issues, this was just before your updates were pushed out and it worked fine; I fired it up yesterday only to find that I had no video feed to your app.  I did some research online and found that I, like so many other owners, have lost the video feed on your app.  What amazes me most is that this problem has been dating back a few months and you still haven't pushed out a fix yet in response to all of the Phantom 2 users who are suffering this very same problem.

I use the work "suffering" because when you spend well over $1,000 on a item and there is no known fix from the manufacturer, you're "suffering a problem", not "encountering a problem."  Encountering a problem would mean it could be corrected with a call to customer service or finding a fix in the forums; but you're suffering a problem when a call to customer service doesn't work or reading that there is "no known fix" in the forums.

I've spoken to many other users who have said it's the "video transmitter" unit in the Phantom; that the software/hardware has "cooked the video transmitter."  If it was just a few users it might be attributed to a bad unit or maybe a crash/hard landing or an anomaly.  In this instance, it's pretty obvious that the live video feed issue is the result of the software/hardware updates that you pushed out.  This is blatantly obvious based on the significant owner postings in the Facebook Phantom 2 Vision owner's page; the Facebook Phantom 2 Vision Plus owner's page; your forums page; and other Phantom 2 Vision internet forums.

To make matters worse, the feedback in all of the forums is that your customer service isn't really being responsive to all of the owners who call in with this issue.

Some owners have posted that this is a marketing ploy by your company to force Phantom Vision 2 owners to upgrade to the Phantom 3; Phantom 4; or Inspire.  So I ask you as an owner of a $1,500 (that's what I paid for my combo kit) Phantom Vision 2 Plus, what do I do with my Phantom now?
2016-8-28
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Well you have 2 choices really, either buy a new internal Wi-Fi transmitter and fit it yourself (Ebay and Amazon have them and if you are lucky your local DJI dealer) or contact the DJI service centre for your area and send it off for repair.
Highly doubt that any V+ will still be under warranty, but if you ask nicely you may get a good result.
My V+ is over 2 years old and running all the updates without any problems, so I doubt its a firmware issue as not all units have failed.
Good luck.
2016-8-28
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

don@cut.net Posted at 2016-8-23 04:47
I have the same Network not available on My Samsung S7 and Tabs. Never had a problem before. I can s ...

To clarify, are you using the latest version of the DJI Vision App? What troubleshooting steps have you done thus far? A RMA may be the best course of action if you have already gone over most of the troubleshooting steps with the North American Support Team.
2016-8-28
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Surefire11758 Posted at 2016-8-29 06:47
DJI,

My Phantom 2 Vision Plus is now a giant paperweight due to the software/hardware updates you p ...

I'm sorry to hear you're having these issues. The best course of action would be to contact the North American Support team for a RMA. If this issue is the result of a firmware update, then it would be able to be covered under the warranty.
2016-8-28
Use props
jlumberg
New

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-28 19:34
I'm sorry to hear you're having these issues. The best course of action would be to contact the No ...

I went through that told them it happened after the update they couldn't help and never said anything about warranty would cover anything
2016-9-1
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

jlumberg Posted at 2016-9-2 08:40
I went through that told them it happened after the update they couldn't help and never said anyth ...

Ultimately warranty is determined by the repair technicians when the unit has been properly evaluated. If the issued it determined to have happened through normal wear and tear, then they would take only the warranty period into consideration. If it can be confirmed to be due to a firmware issue, then it has the potential to be covered. It would require a RMA in order to make that determination. If an invoiced is produced for non warranty and you do not want to pay it, you can request to have the unit sent back to you without repair and you won't have to pay.
2016-9-2
Use props
stuey12345
lvl.1

United States

I am having the exact same problem and getting no help from dji. Why would they not warranty such a common problem. Everything was fine until update. They force us to update but won't fix the problem. Come on DJI!!!!
2016-9-6
Use props
stuey12345
lvl.1

United States

Looks like I'll be selling all 3 of my phantoms and switch brands
2016-9-6
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-9-2 09:30
Ultimately warranty is determined by the repair technicians when the unit has been properly evalua ...

Jamie
Could for one minute in your life think about this problem for a second and explain again why the company you represent feels this is not covered under warranty?
Explain why so many customers updated and had the exact same experience including myself.
Sending the unit in for repair is one thing but at the cost of the customer is B.S YOU are based in the USA there should be no language barrier here.
Step up and help out...
2016-9-23
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-5-19 20:26

Why did you ask this question if you were not prepared to respond since MAY 19 2016???????
2016-9-23
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-5-19 20:26

DJI Paladin
when are you going to respond?????
2016-9-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Visual Air Posted at 2016-9-24 02:03
Jamie
Could for one minute in your life think about this problem for a second and explain again wh ...

If you want the aircraft repaired, please contact support and they will send you a shipping label.
The the easiest way to get your aircraft up and running.
2016-9-26
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-26 09:32
If you want the aircraft repaired, please contact support and they will send you a shipping label. ...

Thanks Ken
I am going through the process of obtaining a RMA however i feel this should be covered and so should all others that this happened to.
Its completely easy to say if you want it repaired contact support... Of course i want it repaired and rightfully so, is there anyone else that buys a product and it fails after an update going to just throw it away?
Appreciate your input...
2016-9-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Visual Air Posted at 2016-9-27 07:48
Thanks Ken
I am going through the process of obtaining a RMA however i feel this should be covered ...

I do not work in the repair center or customer service center so they are the only ones that can say what the final determination will be.
At least they send you the shipping label so that's covered.
2016-9-26
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13845 ft

Just my $.02.  My 2V+ worked fantastically over a year ago. It's literally been in it's protective case since then....until today.  I have done NO firmware upgrades since that time as what I have is the current version per the DJI website.   The ONLY thing that was updated was the Vision App (done automatically by Apple).   No video feed.   Prior to the last few short flights last year ( demonstrating the bird hoping to sell it because I had a P3P), I had replaced the onboard Wifi module and heat sinked the module to prevent the supposed overheating issue.   This NEW from DJI module only has 3 or 4 very short flights (may 12 minutes each time).   All that said...I have a suspicion that the issue is with the Vision App updates and/or Apple IOS updates which were rolled out.     I flew the quad today as I am donating it to a robotics club and wanted to test it all out.  Flew great, GPS locked, RTH worked, Course lock worked, telemetry etc.  etc.. etc.  yes, it also took video.  the ONLY thing that didn't work was the video feed.   I doubt this will be corrected by DJI because they don't want to invest the time and money to correct the issues each time Apple creates an update.  

I'm currently flying a P3P and HOPE that DJI doesn't decide to leave me in the dust on that one in a year or so also!
2016-10-8
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Canada

Mine is currently at DJI California having the wifi module replaced at my cost of $210CDN. Advice do not update to current software like i did as my aircraft worked flawlessy until i upgraded.

DJI knows this but they strive to be silent as offering proper customer service and taking ownership is beyond them. So many people with the exact same issue can not seriously be a coincidence.
2016-10-10
Use props
plumbfreeordie
lvl.2

United States

I have a post called "Bad companies" discussing DJI's response to this problem.  You should go there and chime in as I am the only one in the thread with this problem.  The rest of the people are saying I'm a jerk
2016-10-22
Use props
goosesMaverick
New

United States

Yet another dissatisfied customer. I used my P2 Vision plus.  Probably 20 times total and now no more Preview video. Try rebinding. The thing sat on the shelf for most of its life now. everything works but preview video. Guess its time to throw DJI under the bus like they did to all of us.

Thanks for wasting my money.
2017-7-20
Use props
mattym
New

Australia

yep well its 24.1.2020 can i have the same bloody problem !!!!!   last time i had my P2V+ in the air it worked fine . No problem . 8 months later pulled it out of the hard case i bought for it . i done all of my pre flight checks befor i left the house . charged everything up ( connected ) to my phone . yep bam no live feed ..... WTF DJI ....  pull your head out of your bum and fix this problem !!!!!!
2020-1-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

mattym Posted at 1-23 19:02
yep well its 24.1.2020 can i have the same bloody problem !!!!!   last time i had my P2V+ in the air it worked fine . No problem . 8 months later pulled it out of the hard case i bought for it . i done all of my pre flight checks befor i left the house . charged everything up ( connected ) to my phone . yep bam no live feed ..... WTF DJI ....  pull your head out of your bum and fix this problem !!!!!!

It's a well known problem.  These are getting old ya know.  Usually it's the NAND chip which can be repaired with a flash most of the time.  Sometimes the whole wifi board will fail which means you will need to replace the module.  Good luck.  
2020-1-23
Use props
Ktbrown
New

United States

Why does everyone always come back to “It’s a hardware problem, fix your WiFi board”.  My drone flew wonderfully last time I ran it.  Put it away and then brought it back out.  Obviously loaded the latest vision app on my iphone, and boom.. no video.  I do think it’s probably an apple thing.  I’m going to look for an older tablet or phone and see if the vision app will work for that.  I understand about the two channels on the WiFi board, but it doesn’t burn out, with a software update.  I know the Phantom 2 is discontinued, but a lot of us have good investments into it.  To loose functionality because of a software issue, seems terrible policy. I wish we could create a class action suit, maybe that would wake someone up.
2020-4-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Ktbrown Posted at 4-2 16:33
Why does everyone always come back to “It’s a hardware problem, fix your WiFi board”.  My drone flew wonderfully last time I ran it.  Put it away and then brought it back out.  Obviously loaded the latest vision app on my iphone, and boom.. no video.  I do think it’s probably an apple thing.  I’m going to look for an older tablet or phone and see if the vision app will work for that.  I understand about the two channels on the WiFi board, but it doesn’t burn out, with a software update.  I know the Phantom 2 is discontinued, but a lot of us have good investments into it.  To loose functionality because of a software issue, seems terrible policy. I wish we could create a class action suit, maybe that would wake someone up.

" I wish we could create a class action suit, maybe that would wake someone up."

Forget it, you are not going to get anywhere against a company based in China, otherwise the world would be sueing them over COVID19.
2020-4-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Ktbrown Posted at 4-2 16:33
Why does everyone always come back to “It’s a hardware problem, fix your WiFi board”.  My drone flew wonderfully last time I ran it.  Put it away and then brought it back out.  Obviously loaded the latest vision app on my iphone, and boom.. no video.  I do think it’s probably an apple thing.  I’m going to look for an older tablet or phone and see if the vision app will work for that.  I understand about the two channels on the WiFi board, but it doesn’t burn out, with a software update.  I know the Phantom 2 is discontinued, but a lot of us have good investments into it.  To loose functionality because of a software issue, seems terrible policy. I wish we could create a class action suit, maybe that would wake someone up.

It's not the wifi board, it's the NAND chip on the lower board of the wifi module.  "Put it away and then brought it back out."  There's your problem.  Flash the lower board.  Good luck.  
2020-4-3
Use props
kingmond1gmail.com
New

United States

I'm suffering pretty much all the DJI P2Vision+ defects listed throughout this long thread.
Thinking  about turning on the video just before taking off and foregoing any remote control of the camera.
In other words I'd just be capturing footage in the air on "manual" mode.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!
2020-4-26
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

If you have wifi but a black screen, you can turn on/off the video with your flight app.  That's easier than pushing the button manually.  

Or you can flash the lower board of the wifi module.  There's a good video on youtube on how to do it.

Good luck.  
2020-4-27
Use props
fans182a82df
New

Norway

I and also most of us now that it is the updates that kills the fun of having Drone from dji. Luckly I have the opertunity spend some money on another brand.
2021-1-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

The required updates are optional.  
2021-1-3
Use props
fans2cf87221
New

Austria

Hello,
for all ya‘ll who decided to get into drone world for whatever reason and decide to buy a „cheap“ Phantom 2 with „+“ or not.

I’ve decided to get me a „+“ in first place and bought it for 150 bucks in back market - it was a rip off - one prop-motor was broken, the batteries were broken and I had no video feed on iPhone.

I’ve tried a lot and I can now say after 15+ hours of troubleshoot that none of „all“ provided solutions work.

I‘ve decided to send my drone to an „expert“ nearby, he told me, that my drone was broken and it is not affordable to repair it.
But he has the „same“ drone, which has no issues at all and he guarantees that I can use it.

I just want to make pictures in bird view for PV/solar project and if the customer or building company wants it, I could make some videos before, meanwhile and after building their solutions.

So I decided to get the „working“ drone for another 150 bucks + a fee for diagnose my first „broken“ drone.
2023-11-11
Use props
fans2cf87221
New

Austria

I‘ve received a non „+“-version with the egg camera - the motors were working but I have the same issues with the live view on iPhone.

And please forget all about the „solutions“ on YT and forums.

DJI broke this on purpose to sell new drones, but we the people and community found a solutions.

For me it was clear in first place, that there must be some software issues.

On iPhone it started with .60 version; you can find it even in AppStore, that people are complaining about loosing their live view.

On Android it started also with .60 version, but there they have broke a lot more and decided to bring out a .61 version.

So some good guys bricked the software and reversed the „updated“ software from planned obsolescence to working again.

I will provide you the information you‘ll need to bring back your live view. You will have to have some skills in IT (putty:terminal), at soldering, wiring and disassembling.

But those are the only solutions.
2023-11-11
Use props
fans2cf87221
New

Austria

You‘ll have to believe in anybody who tells that you‘ll need to „fix“ you WiFi module.

In egg-version this module is place in the cam itself, in gimbal version it is place inside the drone at the top.

You will have to skin the boards out, wire up some Power, communication and boot cable. You will have to wire this to an USB-COM-Adapter to get terminal access to the board.

Some really good guys made updated versions, have made how to guided and have made tools:scripts and even videos to update your „broken“ live view.

1. v1 with egg cam:
YT: Phantom 2 Vision FC200 loss of FPV repair updated 2023

RCGroup: Diagnosing and recovering the DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Wi-Fi module from lack of FPV (black screen)

2. v2 with gimbal:
YT: Complete guide to the repair of the Phantom 2 Vision Plus wifi module update 2023
2023-11-11
Use props
fans2cf87221
New

Austria

For the v2 and gimbal version it could be necessary to fix the head or cabling.

Gimbal head:
YT: Phantom 2 Vision Plus camera repair and solution
but please forget about the 30 bucks cover - for me a total rip off of you ask me.

Cabling:
YT: Post House #12
It‘s in Russian but who cares, the guy shows a perfect view on replaying a broken cabling.

Hopefully I can save you some time on fixing your „broken“ drones and have fun as me.

This drone is the best which was ever built I think, heavy duty, priceless and the community is great!

Please help to keep the internet a place like this!
Stay free!!!
2023-11-11
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

DJI did not "break this on purpose" to sell new drones.  The NAND chip on the wifi board within the egg wears out and you have to flash it to make it work again.  Somebody figured out how to do it a few years ago.  Others explained it in a way that's understandable.  Instructions are on youtube.

But you really need an older mobile device which will communicate well with the older wifi on the Phantom.  The modern devices generally won't work.  

You're right, the DJI Phantom 2 Vision is built like a tank, mostly because the so-called gimbal is really just a one-dimension servo motor - up and down - easy and cheap to fix.  

Mine is still working correctly and flying like new ten years after it was released.

Good luck

2023-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules