Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Does this look right to you?
1668 9 2016-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Phantomflyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1016486 ft
United States

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the Osmo, and had recently picked one up used from a reputable camera shop, however while it appeared to be in excellent condition I'm not so sure it's all that it should be.
I took this short video with the camera and feel the gimbal is not doing its job. I want to begin by saying I had not had the trigger depressed while taking the video as I realize this action would have locked the camera in position.
I'd actually like to get some input here on the video before contacting the seller further, maybe I'm missing something, but this is the sort of video stability reproduction I would have expected from walking along with a hand held video camera, and not that of a 3 axis gimbal as on the Osmo. : )  
2016-5-19
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello.
Welcome to our Forum.
After watching your video, are you concerning about the up and down vibration?
The Osmo is a 3-Axes stabilization hand-held camera, it can't control the shaking vertically caused by the user's movement. To improve the situation, we all need a little practice of walking or you can use the newly released Z-Axis accessory to absorb the sharing in vertical direction.
Please find more tutorials or videos about a proper walking with the Osmo: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=osmo+walking&spfreload=1
About the Z-Axis, please read this thread: http://forum.dji.com/thread-49173-1-1.html

Thanks for your support.
2016-5-19
Use props
Phantomflyer
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-20 12:04
Hello.
Welcome to our Forum.
After watching your video, are you concerning about the up and down vib ...

Hello Adela,
Thanks for responding. Actually I was hoping to get some basic input of the up and down motion produced in the video. Yes, you can notice it more by looking at the wire strung around the porch of the property in the video.
I suspect I was hoping to simply eliminate the bobing affect without mastering some type of walking method. : )
I find the video taken with my Phantom quadcopter while walking simply provides more of a motion absorbing affect. Regardless of my walking motion the video reproduction appears as though I were floating along. This was what I had expected of the Osmo, and further thought that there may have been a defect with the camera Gimbal in that regard.  Again, just wanting to find if this was what may be considered Normal operation of the camera or something that may need some attention.
2016-5-19
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Phantomflyer Posted at 2016-5-20 12:19
Hello Adela,
Thanks for responding. Actually I was hoping to get some basic input of the up and do ...

Thanks for your reply.
In my judgement, your Osmo should be working normally.
If the camera can't follow or stabilize your movement smoothly, please connect your Osmo to the DJI GO App and try to adjust the gimbal profile settings.

Speaking of your Phantom, while you took it to record the video by walking around but not flying it, the up and down vibration may be absorbed by the absorbers attached upon the camera.

If you have any further feedback, please let me know anytime.
2016-5-19
Use props
Chicago DP
lvl.3

United States

Phantomflyer, I had the same issue but determined it was my user error PLUS you have to order the Z-axis accessory which takes out the up and down bob. I ordered one but as you can see reading all these threads it seems to be back ordered due to slow manufacturing. You could try to do it yourself as this guy explains:

Your footage looks like you didn't practice much before this shoot, no offense. Yesterday I did my first pro shoot with it but I brought it along as a freebie to test and pimp up some b-roll. The reason I realize your footage indicates it's you and not the Osmo is that when I practiced for a couple of weeks before trying it on a real gig, I learned by constant playing back of tests, that my stride was too long. And you can't side step. If you have two hands on it, your left hand gingerly touching a corner of the phone, and don't have a death grip on the handle, and walk Ninja Style which means a rocking heel-to-toe, you won't have the bobbing you did, or at least eliminate 85.67% of it. Also, go slower, then it won't be as exaggerated.

In sum, test, practice, repeat. Uneven ground is worse. Keep it closer to your torso. The reason my bobs are less noticeable than your example is before I bought the Osmo I came across great tutorials on YouTube and there's one guy who explains the walk vs bobs:

Several Osmo gurus have claimed that flashlight mode is best. I try to have my arms act as shock absorbers for what my body is doing so the bob motion of my legs doesn't transfer all the way to my wrists. But definitely avoid side stepping like you did with the front of the house, better to be in the middle and do a pan?
So practice a lot more and order the z-axis or build your own. Watch a zillion tutorials.

Best,

Ned
Chicago Videographer
www.nedmiller.com

2016-5-20
Use props
Phantomflyer
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-20 15:49
Thanks for your reply.
In my judgement, your Osmo should be working normally.
If the camera can't ...

Thank you Adela for your input in this matter, and yes I'll give the suggestions you've made a try.
Also, you may be correct regarding my videoing with the Phantom camera, good point.
I'll keep you advised if further assistance is required.

Regards,
2016-5-20
Use props
Phantomflyer
lvl.4
United States

Chicago DP Posted at 2016-5-20 21:36
Phantomflyer, I had the same issue but determined it was my user error PLUS you have to order the Z- ...

Thank much, Ned.  All good points which I will keep in mind.  I appreciate you taking the time to explain all this in detail, and providing the video link.  : )

Regards,
Al
2016-5-20
Use props
stuartdye_photo
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Phantomflyer Posted at 2016-5-20 16:28
Thank much, Ned.  All good points which I will keep in mind.  I appreciate you taking the time to  ...

hey, my first few shots with my Dji osmo x3 had the human bobbing (up and down) i had to practice my ostrich walk a few times and now i have mastered it ! practice, practice, practice, good luck.
2016-5-27
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks like everything's working correctly?
2016-5-28
Use props
Phantomflyer
lvl.4
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-5-28 18:16
Looks like everything's working correctly?

Thanks all who had responded, sorry for the delay getting back.
2016-5-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules