Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
If your drone goes swimming
1523 6 2016-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
quickpoint
Second Officer

United States

i don't know why i never posted this before but better late than never.   I see a lot of people talking about putting covering the drone with rice to dry it out but i have a much different plan. i have a 20 gallon plastic tote with 2 gallons(14 pounds) of Silica Gel Desiccant inside it, a heating pad, 2 gallons of distilled water, can of moisture free compressed air without bitter agent(co2), small battery operated caged fan, and cheese cloth and large plastic garbage bag all sealed up and ready incase of an emergency.  after listing my emergency drone bath kit i just ordered something extra to add to it,  Oxygen Absorbers!

My plan if my drone goes swimming after recovering.  time is very important especially if salt water is involved.

First.  If drone takes a swim.  battery comes out. sling as much of the water out as possible.
Second. Bathtime use the 2 gallons of distilled water dumped in 1 gallon at a time,  dump in the first.  then as much sling out again(i have a large air compressor to blow it out. cans of air help as well) then use second gallon of distilled water for final rinse.    sling out excess and blow out again.    inside the tote lay the heating pad down on the bottom(lowest setting) (hole cut in the side for power cord, taped closed), then pour first jug of silica down.  lay down 2 layers of cheese cloth.  make indents in the crystals below the cheese cloth for the motors to sit in(you can stand up with battery facing down as well)    **OPTIONAL STEP*** put a cup or so in a small sock and put in battery compartment.    cover the drone with remaining cheese cloth and dump the rest of the silica crystals all over the drone.     place fan on low inside blowing directly at the drone. toss a butload of the Oxygen Absorbers in there as well. get the garbage bag and put it over the tote allowing it to drape inside while fully covered, indent middle lowering volume of air in the tote. close the lid nice and tight and let it sit for at least 12 hours.   24 hours would be better.  

you can toss battery in there as well to try to help it live, but personally i wouldn't trust it.  little bit of corrosion builds up inside it anywhere its a timebomb waiting to fail at any random moment.   

Silica is way more absorbent than rice

Oxygen Absorbers consume oxygen which is required to promote corrosion.   silica removes all water and traps it  oxy eaters remove oxygen from inside

silica
http://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Rep ... roduct_sims?ie=UTF8  1 gallon $35

compressed air WITHOUT BITTER AGENT
http://www.amazon.com/Compressed ... keywords=can+of+air  $15

battery fan
http://www.amazon.com/Cool-Inch- ... eywords=battery+fan $12

Oxygen Absorbers
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H4PFNCY?psc=1  $17

Totes you can get at any homegood store or walmart type places.  Cheese cloth at most grocery stores, distilled water at grocery stores as well. heating pad from any major retail home stores

i hope i never need to use my kit but is handy incase it is needed.   never tried it but its ready if needed i know silca is a much better base than rice.   anyone else have a crazy plan like mine?   or like my plan?

2016-5-19
Use props
kcmusa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 132067 ft
United States

wow, think Ill just get another Phantom.
2016-5-20
Use props
oldcar82
lvl.1

United States

I would say that if you ever assembled this kit and had it ready ... your drone would never see water ever!... that's just the way life seems to go! and that's a good thing!... in all seriousness though I think your kit would absolutely be the best chance you could have saving a sinker.
2016-5-20
Use props
quickpoint
Second Officer

United States

kcmusa Posted at 2016-5-20 07:06

this is a lot cheaper   you  can get much cheaper silica by using cat litter crystals,  not blends with crystals. but 100% crystals 10-20 bucks for 20-30 pounds.  budget water removal kit can be put together for much cheaper,  around 40 bucks and will do almost the same thing,  just not as over kill.  will list budget kit.
2016-5-20
Use props
quickpoint
Second Officer

United States

oldcar82 Posted at 2016-5-20 08:27
I would say that if you ever assembled this kit and had it ready ... your drone would never see wate ...

i would rather have it and never need it then need it and not have it.  i am going to list materials for a simple budget kit that can be brought in a car easily for field dry out.
2016-5-20
Use props
buddhabelly
lvl.1

United States

Or... just don't fly over water.
2016-5-20
Use props
dkruseski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 791184 ft

kcmusa Posted at 2016-5-20 19:06

Agreed. That's a lot of work for something that may be fubar anyway.
2016-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules